SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here installed or have any information on installing the factory navi on a S60R? If so, it a fairly simple procedure.

Thanks guys

WD

·
Registered
974 Posts
I actually just talked to my local dealer about this last week, overall he said it was a terrible idea. For one, the nav isn't that great. Also, it's very very expensive and could be done a different way for much cheaper. I know that there are threads on here with people doing custom/DIY nav that are much better. Do a little searching and I'm sure you will find what you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Volvo Nav is crap
It will cost you over $3000!
and why?
Buy a used Garmin for $100, it's better

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Volvo Nav is crap
It will cost you over $3000!
and why?
Buy a used Garmin for $100, it's better
+1 I have it in my R. It is so cumbersome, it is rediculous. It may have been OK for the early 2000's, but it is 2012 and a $100 Garmin Nuvi's user interface is soooooo much easier and faster! Black Friday is coming; score a deal for less than $100. Of, if you have a smart phone with turn by turn voice directions, you can use that.

Two things going for the OE Nav unit:
1.) the coolness factor of a screen rising from the center speaker location.
2.) hidden controls on back of steering wheel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I installed stock pop-up screen with Garmin navi in my 08 XC90. The cost of parts was $1100 with back up camera.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the factory nav on my xc90 and I just got so used to it. I just sold my XC90 to my grand parents and would like the nav in my R. I might just do some Black Friday deal hunting. Can you replace the Volvo radio head unit with an aftermarket one? I know in the XC90 it was very had to do

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Yes, double DIN head units do fit. However, maintaining steering wheel controls is something to contend with. Matching the surrounding plastic and illumination are some others. Search around this forum; there are some threads.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have NAV and I wish I didn't so I could have the larger center speaker. I have used it like three times and while it is outdated it got me where I needed to go.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have NAV and I wish I didn't so I could have the larger center speaker. I have used it like three times and while it is outdated it got me where I needed to go.

Do you think sound would be so different? I'm asking because I'm about to instal OEM-like screen and replace my big speaker with smaller one..
Anyone who have done it can chime in?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Thought of the same before seeing the "My GPS project" from DarekP
I am just searching how to move the screen in and out if I remove the factory navigation.
I have to fix that video :)

Do you think sound would be so different? I'm asking because I'm about to instal OEM-like screen and replace my big speaker with smaller one..
Anyone who have done it can chime in?
I did not notice any difference.
From my experience (I may be wrong here) center speaker only works in 3 channel or Dolby PL modes. I do not use those.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
From my experience (I may be wrong here) center speaker only works in 3 channel or Dolby PL modes. I do not use those.
I'm pretty sure you are right on 3ch or Dolby PL mode. The problem is have Pl mode always on ..
Guess I just gonna start with replacing speaker and making "before/after" comparing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have to fix that video :)

Correct and if your not using those modes then it does not matter. I have not been in an s60 with the bigger center channel so I can't comment on if it sounds any better. My dad has an 05 S40 with premium sound and the front stage is much better then mine is. both when in pro logic mode. That being said the 05 s40 has the fiber optic 12 ohm premium sound system that sounds IMO better the the R anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts