SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a DIY on how to install Pioneer TS-A1685R speakers in your front doors... when I do the rear doors, I'll update this as necessary. You'll re-use the original Volvo bracket and this will look as close to stock as possible, I think.

You will need:

Trim tools
T25 Torx screwdriver
Small punch, preferably blunt
A Dremel tool with 1/8 end mill or similar
(4) #8 x 1/2" long pan head sheet metal screws per speaker
(3) #10 x 1/2" long pan head sheet metal screws per speaker
A soldering iron
Cordless drill with appropriate drill bits

Here are the speakers I bought on Amazon, at Herooftimes' recommendation:

The first thing to do is to remove the door panel; there are videos on YouTube on how to do this as well. The first thing to do is to use a trim tool to remove the hand grip and the bezel around the door handle. They come off pretty easily. Remove the two T25 Torx screws.

Next, pop the cover out from the pocket in the armrest to get at the screw:

Pull off the black triangular trim piece at the side view mirror:

Now, the buttons that hold the door on are kind of a trip. They are 3-piece consisting of a black barrel, an interior colored bushing, and a plastic pin. To release them you use an awl or very small punch to push the pin into the barrel. It won't drop into the door; you just reassemble them when you reinstall the panel.

Now, just pull the door panel out (to clear the door handle) and up to disengage it from the wiper lip where the glass descends into the door.

Disconnect the 3 connectors for the tweeter, the power locks, and the power windows, and you will be left with this:

Next, the thing do to is to drill off the heads of the rivets. I used a 5/16 drill bit. Be careful to not damage the bracket, you're going to need it. If the head starts to spin as you're drilling, use a screwdriver against the edge of the rivet to stop it. It's not necessary to drill out the entire rivet, just the head. As a matter of fact, I left the rest of the rivet in the door on purpose so I didn't have 3 rivets rattling around the bottom of my door for the rest of the life of the car. So just remove the head and then pry the speaker and bracket off the door (of course, disconnecting the speaker wire connection).

After this, I brought the speaker to my workbench. I removed the white foam gasket and the black rubber trim ring from the front of the speaker. I didn't get a photo of that....

Next, tear off the foam that connects the speaker cone to the bracket:

This is where you warm up the Dremel with the end mill. The 'speaker' is attached to the bracket by 6 or 8 ribs. Cut them off with the Dremel, leaving as much rib on the 'speaker' part as you can, and trying to get it flush with the bracket. No points for artistry here - who's going to see it? One of the ribs also has the connector for the speaker wires, so don't cut the metal just the plastic then take a pair of cutting pliers and sever the braided wires that lead to the speaker. Throw the speaker in the trash.

Here you can see the 'ribs' that hold the speaker to the bracket.

You will be left with the housing that we are going to re-use:

The above photo also shows where I cut off the lip that goes all the way around the housing. You will see why you have to do this, as the speaker will not fit in with it there. Just bury the Dremel, rev it up, and go around - takes like 20 seconds.

Okay, this is where the miracle occurs hahaha - see the cylindrical boss on the back side of the bracket?

Guess what? There are four of them. Yep four.

Guess what else? They are on exactly the same bolt circle as the 4 mounting holes on the Pioneers!! Yes, you read that right.

SO -

Take a pilot drill for the #8 screws, and from the back side drill all the way through those suckers! We're getting close now......

De-solder what's left of the wire from the tabs on the housing (yes, we get to keep our factory connectors) and solder in the wire that Pioneer supplies. Don't shorten them! You need it all, they're only about 8" long. The fat connector is the +, so and the + is molded in the plastic so you can't go wrong. You will have this:

Now, turn the housing over, connect the wires to the speaker, drop it in, and fasten it with the four #8 x 1/2 pan head screws like this:

Time to put the speaker back in the door.

I just rotated the bracket a few degrees to get around the remains of the rivets (you'll see what I mean) and marked new hole locations for the #10 x 1/2 screws and pilot drilled them. I want to keep the screws as short as possible so I don't have any issues with the window mechanism.

Also, be certain to install it in the same general orientation so that the connector can reach and the 'hood' is still facing up.

Et voila, you should have this:

Reinstall the door panel and you're done. And they sound great :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Looking GOOD! Excellent write-up. Can't wait for the rest of the job. I like seeing people do modifications and posting them up. It gives everyone an idea and something to try out for themselves!

How would you rate the sound compared to the stock speakers? I have a pair of those sitting in my garage (I ordered an extra pair of speakers and forgot to return them).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They sound about 3X better than the stock speakers. I mean, those had whizzer cones for Pete's sake. That being said, the system is still not as good as the stock sound in my 16 year old V70 wagon. That car has a very punchy sound, I even had a friend who is most definitely not an audiophile ride with me a month or so ago and he remarked "Is this the factory stereo?". How much is the speaker and how much the head unit? I won't really be able to tell until I get another set of these for the rear doors because it's really 'boomy' back there.

Now that I have the procedure down, it won't take long to install. The only thing I'll do differently is instead of cutting off the entire ring of plastic on the stock housing to make room for the ears on the Pioneers, I will instead just cut out notches to clear them. Removing the entire ring makes it so the rubber gasket between the speaker and the door panel won't stay in place without adhesive.

Anyone installed speakers in the rear deck without it turning into a nightmare?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I did install rear deck speakers too. I put TS-M800PROs from Pioneer back there. Worth replacing those things? I don't want to say no, but there was barely an improvement in sound over stock rear deck speakers. I guess if they're crackling/clipping then I would get new speakers for the rear deck.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did install rear deck speakers too. I put TS-M800PROs from Pioneer back there. Worth replacing those things? I don't want to say no, but there was barely an improvement in sound over stock rear deck speakers. I guess if they're crackling/clipping then I would get new speakers for the rear deck.
Well, then I'll put that off. I don't want an aftermarket HU, I like the stock look. Can I install the higher end stereo if I find it on eBay? Or is the wiring too different?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll be dead honest I'm not sure. You should look over those threads again maybe there's some information there, or a quick Google search with experience from other Volvo owners who may have already put out some information regarding that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another set of A1685r's is on the way, $45.99 from Jet

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the rear speakers yesterday, and the driver's side was a PITA. I don't know why, maybe it had been replaced in the past? The rivets on this one were steel, not aluminum like the other 3 doors and it too forever to drill them out. The bracket was also held to the door by the foam gasket much more securely....it was the first one I did, and was kind of dreading doing the passenger side but that one was like the fronts - a piece of cake.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That's really weird man. I don't know if I encountered any steel rivets. I just tore mine out along with the bracket, and then I drilled holes into the door frame! It's completely fine the way you went about it though, and it looks great. What else are you looking into modifying?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another odd thing was that though I ordered TS-A1685R's I got TS-A1686R's.. I have no idea what difference there is and rather than return them, I installed the anyway.

My next (and final) project, which I will do a write-up, is a bitchin' black mesh grill. Couldn't find one aftermarket at all, it seems to be exclusively an S60 item. As it stands, the car is ready to register but I'm having a real issue with that. I shouldn't be so sentimental but the S80 is replacing my daily driver, an '05 Corolla that has given me 254,000 absolutely and completely trouble-free miles. It's uncanny - tires, brakes, oil, and gas. Nothing else, ever. To transfer the registration is to give up the Toyota and it feels like a betrayal hahahahah.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Another odd thing was that though I ordered TS-A1685R's I got TS-A1686R's.. I have no idea what difference there is and rather than return them, I installed the anyway.

My next (and final) project, which I will do a write-up, is a bitchin' black mesh grill. Couldn't find one aftermarket at all, it seems to be exclusively an S60 item. As it stands, the car is ready to register but I'm having a real issue with that. I shouldn't be so sentimental but the S80 is replacing my daily driver, an '05 Corolla that has given me 254,000 absolutely and completely trouble-free miles. It's uncanny - tires, brakes, oil, and gas. Nothing else, ever. To transfer the registration is to give up the Toyota and it feels like a betrayal hahahahah.
Haha! Toyota is an excellent car maker man. My father's 2001 Sienna van has been pretty trouble-free too. With no doubt I can believe the fact that the Corolla has taken you that far with little to no issues. The S80 isn't the same that's for sure. Volvo is not as bad (it seems) as some other "luxury" car makers. Thankfully, these forums have brought easily accessible information to everyone. Information that tells people what needs to commonly be replaced on "X" model of whatever car it may be, and how to actually do it.

Would I ever have imagined to replace my own timing belt amongst other components like the water pump, tensioner, pulley, and even the thermostat too? I think not. Lots of people here have helped me know my S80 inside and out, which is partially why I'm having a hard time simply thinking about selling it and replacing it. It's a good car. Not the best I'm sure, but a good car.

By the way, speaker differences:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Speakers/A-Series/TS-A1685R
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Speakers/A-Series/TS-A1686R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts