SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installing BlackVue 2 ch Dashcam Front and Rear with Power Magic Pro

Weather finally improved a bit so I decided it was time to install my old BlackVue DR-650GW that I ripped out of my old Audi. It was a bit easier there with the fuse box in the side of the dashboard, so this install initially seemed a bit intimidating.

I poked around looking for instructions by someone who had already done the work, and came across a post by cpx974 in this thread after some digging. Very helpful!

However, in the interest of making the info easier to find, and clearing up some snags I hit along the way, I figured I'd start a new thread. I removed a few of the photos. For all of the photos from the original post, refer to the original thread. There are many, and they are large!

I've only wired up the Power Magic Pro box so far, but I'll update as I go on.

So, few things I'd add so far to the below:

1. When removing the vertical trim piece between #2 and #3 in the open door photo, pull the piece from the bottom. The top is just a plastic hook/hinge type and if you pull too hard from the top, you will break it.
  2. The carpeting has to be pulled away pretty forcefully to have room to swing out the fuse box cover. Don't be scared to push it back with some force.
  3. The fuses are nano2 type fuses and add-a-circuit fuse taps are not readily available in that size at Pep Boys or Autozone (at least not near me), so if you want to do it that way, prepare before you start and order online.
  4. I found that the Power Magic box can fit inside the glove box in the small top nook, just takes a bit of effort to force the white PMP connector through the gap in the back. Pushed back on the plastic wall a bit to make enough space for it to get through. There's a gap in the top right most side of the glovebox where you can feed the wires out.
  5. There's a big empty space in the dashboard where you can stuff the 12V connector and extra wiring (#1 on the side of dash photo). I started power wires from there, and fed them down the back. Reached up from the bottom to grab them with my other arm. There's lots of space with all the trim removed.
  6. Right next to #2 in the photos is a metal on metal bolt where I decided was a good place to attach the grounding wire. Loosened easily a few turns, pushed the metal Y connector underneath and tightened back up.

Original post by cpx974:

Hi all,

just installed my older dual-cam BlackVue DR650-GW 2 channel and my V1 detector on my 2018 XC60 T8; finding the right info was a bit challenging so maybe this will help other members:

I installed a BlackVue PowerMagic Pro to avoid draining the battery if I run the camera in parking mode and cabled it to the fuse box on the passenger side.

Yes, the camera is not in the optimal center positioned due to the Intellisafe bulky box and decided to put it on the passenger side; it still gets a good view.

First you need to remove the trimmings on the side to get access to the fuse box and the A-pillar trim to safely run the wire avoiding interference with the airbag operation (run the wire to the cam/V1 together with the other wires in the A-pillar and tie them together).

Start with the dashboard side cover, then next to it the edge cover, lower bottom trims (you just pull them carefully and they snap out). For the A-pillar trim remove the airbag small plastic inscription, remove the screw then carefully pull that trim out). Also remove the plastic cover under the glove compartment box (two screws and pull it downwards). Pull the rug to the side and squeeze the fuse box on its sides the pull the cover - a bit difficult to open the thing see the tabs in the pic where its held in place)

For the wiring:

Yellow (Batt+)-> Fuse 4 Movement sensor* Permanent live power
Red (ACC) & V1 Red cable-> Fuse 49 Unassigned 5A
Black (-) -> Case screw

Blackvue power consumption - max 4.8W = 0.4A MAX 2A fuse required for PowerMagic pro
Valentine one power consumption max 0.225A typical standby, 0.425A maximum alarm condition

Yes, would have been nice to use a Micro2 ATR fuse tap but didn't have them at the time and anyway the new wires have fuses on them.
Make sure the wire inserts in the upper side of the fuse (the pin socket that has no power with the fuse removed).

Valentine1 mount is a Blendmount BV1-2019 (I reversed the bottom part to move the detector further to the right for better clearance).

So far everything works as expected.
See the pictures and good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the install done this past week, and took a few photos I hope will help anyone else doing this install.
I ran the rear camera wire the way I did because I couldn't figure out how to run it under the headliner to the factory wire duct leading to the tailgate, but I didn't want to waste any more time with this. If anyone has any insight into how that is done, please do share.

At this point, remove the door sill trim by pulling up, and the trim under the passenger dash, then you can pull away the carpet to the left (pull hard!) to get to the fuses, as described in the last post.

Hoping this helps someone!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
man that is an epic install thread (and a good reminder I need to get my new cam insatlled). kudos and thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Glad you found the info useful. Unfortunately I didn’t have the time to post it in more detail and assumed whoever takes on this task should be able to figure out the rest. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you found the info useful. Unfortunately I didn’t have the time to post it in more detail and assumed whoever takes on this task should be able to figure out the rest. :)
Definitely saved me a good amount of time, thanks again!

Did you wire up your rear camera in a similar way or did you figure out how to access the wire ducts to the lift gate?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Definitely saved me a good amount of time, thanks again!

Did you wire up your rear camera in a similar way or did you figure out how to access the wire ducts to the lift gate?
Hi,

I'd like to offer a correction to your guide.

1. When routing the camera to the rear windshield, it appears you may have routed the wires improperly. See my image. The wire needs to fed through this plastic sheathing and up to the windshield so it isn't free dangling. And not through the weatherstripping. The sheathing should pull away and allow you to feed a wire through it. There are youtube videos that'll show you how if unsure. (See Images Below)

Note: I recommend you feed the wire ALL THE WAY through plastic sheathing and exit out the top (instead of middle like picture)....Because as you can see, wire is still free dangling.

2. I don't have an XC60, but does the B or C Pillar have an IC airbag? If so, be sure to route BEHIND the airbag as well and not cross over it.

Liftgate.jpg

pQuks34.jpg

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would add that the left (facing) conduit has more room in it and easier to run additional cabling. The right side is pretty close to full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you sir, I've been meaning to tackle this myself but worried about the complications.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,

1. When routing the camera to the rear windshield, it appears you may have routed the wires improperly. See my image. The wire needs to fed through this plastic sheathing and up to the windshield so it isn't free dangling. And not through the weatherstripping. The sheathing should pull away and allow you to feed a wire through it. There are youtube videos that'll show you how if unsure. (See Images Below)

Note: I recommend you feed the wire ALL THE WAY through plastic sheathing and exit out the top (instead of middle like picture)....Because as you can see, wire is still free dangling.

2. I don't have an XC60, but does the B or C Pillar have an IC airbag? If so, be sure to route BEHIND the airbag as well and not cross over it.

View attachment 50869

View attachment 50871
Yes, I agree but there wasn’t much room in there and too difficult to pull through with the end of the camera connector. It’s not as I wanted to go but it works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

It doesn't need to be, but it certainly would be cleaner and nicer looking! As I said though, I couldn't figure out how to access the cable conduit.
I pulled on the ends of the conduit and tried lifting them a bit, but stopped for fear of damaging something, since I didn't know the proper way to remove them. And how would I access them from the inside of the vehicle, under the headliner??

I'll have to look into the B and C pillar airbags.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just turned up some videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XfkkABFrOM
Looks like the curtain airbags roll down from beneath the headliner, so running the cables through the weatherstripping along the sides seems to be the best way, unless I figure out how to get under the headliner and route the wires safely there.

Any insight and advice welcome.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
It doesn't need to be, but it certainly would be cleaner and nicer looking! As I said though, I couldn't figure out how to access the cable conduit.
I pulled on the ends of the conduit and tried lifting them a bit, but stopped for fear of damaging something, since I didn't know the proper way to remove them. And how would I access them from the inside of the vehicle, under the headliner??

I'll have to look into the B and C pillar airbags.
Question #1:

1. Routing the cable under the plastic sheeting is more than cosmetic. It's a recipe for creating shorts, accidentally pulling on the wire, etc. I am not 100% sure on the XC series, but generally, the plastic sheeting will pull up from either end. Where you then need to take the cable and feed it up this sheeting.

Youtube has PLENTY of videos showing how this is to be done.

A. This is a proper install (but no instructions) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLT7Vr2rC-0

B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCkTtCjShBI ---- Go to 8 Mins 40 Seconds. Not a Volvo but Similar Tips.

C. Again, I don't own an XC vehicle, but check the B and C Pillars to see if they mention IC-AirBag Because the wires should NEVER cross these at all. But be routed UNDER the bag. On my S60, the B Pillar can be tucked because the airbag runs above the seat belt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question #1:

1. Routing the cable under the plastic sheeting is more than cosmetic. It's a recipe for creating shorts, accidentally pulling on the wire, etc. I am not 100% sure on the XC series, but generally, the plastic sheeting will pull up from either end. Where you then need to take the cable and feed it up this sheeting.

Youtube has PLENTY of videos showing how this is to be done.

A. This is a proper install (but no instructions) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLT7Vr2rC-0

B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCkTtCjShBI ---- Go to 8 Mins 40 Seconds. Not a Volvo but Similar Tips.

C. Again, I don't own an XC vehicle, but check the B and C Pillars to see if they mention IC-AirBag Because the wires should NEVER cross these at all. But be routed UNDER the bag. On my S60, the B Pillar can be tucked because the airbag runs above the seat belt.
I get what you mean, but in my case there doesn't seem to be any tugging or danger to the wire. It's up and out of the way when the trunk is open, and there is enough slack for the lift gate to go up and down drama-free.
Unfortunately, as you said, no instructions in those videos, and I'm hesitant to start pulling and bending things too hard without knowing how they're put together. That said, perhaps I'll give it another look this weekend and post if I find anything.

There are not any airbag indicators that I noticed on the B/C pillars.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I get what you mean, but in my case there doesn't seem to be any tugging or danger to the wire. It's up and out of the way when the trunk is open, and there is enough slack for the lift gate to go up and down drama-free.
Unfortunately, as you said, no instructions in those videos, and I'm hesitant to start pulling and bending things too hard without knowing how they're put together. That said, perhaps I'll give it another look this weekend and post if I find anything.

There are not any airbag indicators that I noticed on the B/C pillars.
1. All depends upon comfort level. So long as you aren't crossing any of the airbags, then everything else is purely cosmetic. However, for a purely professional look, youd want to watch second video. It DOES SHOW YOU how to do it at 8 minutes 40 seconds. Though not specific to volvo.

2. Good know. I don't own an XC so couldn't advise here one way or another.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Definitely make sure the wires don’t interfere with the Airbag operation. I only used the A pillar and secured the wires along the other wires in there.

Then routed down to the fuse box and through the floor all the way to the back seat and up the pillar behind the plastic covers. But if I remember correctly I pretty much reached the max length of the rear cam cable.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Definitely make sure the wires don’t interfere with the Airbag operation. I only used the A pillar and secured the wires along the other wires in there.

Then routed down to the fuse box and through the floor all the way to the back seat and up the pillar behind the plastic covers. But if I remember correctly I pretty much reached the max length of the rear cam cable.

That might be a better way, for airbag related peace of mind. Now if only it would stop being cold and/or rainy here in NY so I could take another look... :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts