SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amongst other suspension improvements, I'm in the process of installing Bilstein front shocks on my 1800ES. The shocks are marked 24-002837 and B46-0283.

I note that the shocks came with a warning pamphlet printed in 23 different languages, but no installation instructions. . .

Each shock box contained (2x) zip-lock bags. Each bag contained (2x) polymer bushings, (1x) nylock nut, (2x) large silver washers, and (1x) large black washer.

One of the silver washers appears to be the same size and shape as the black washer. So I'm wondering what is the difference between the silver and black washer?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
via IPD, just to help people know what you're talking about. Sorry I don't personally know the order of assembly.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Amongst other suspension improvements, I'm in the process of installing Bilstein front shocks on my 1800ES. The shocks are marked 24-002837 and B46-0283.

I note that the shocks came with a warning pamphlet printed in 23 different languages, but no installation instructions. . .

Each shock box contained (2x) zip-lock bags. Each bag contained (2x) polymer bushings, (1x) nylock nut, (2x) large silver washers, and (1x) large black washer.

One of the silver washers appears to be the same size and shape as the black washer. So I'm wondering what is the difference between the silver and black washer?
http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_products_slideshow/fullsize_2814.jpg

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/pdf/bstshockmounting.pdf

Order of parts on shaft: (1) black washer cup facing away from shock (2) rubber bush (frame/mount on car) (3) rubber bush (4) silver washer with smaller hole cup facing toward shock (5) nyloc nut.

George Dill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Order of parts on shaft: (1) black washer cup facing away from shock (2) rubber bush (frame/mount on car) (3) rubber bush (4) silver washer with smaller hole cup facing toward shock (5) nyloc nut.
Thank George. To clarify, is the following correct?

bottom (yellow) shaft assembly bottom to top:
*nylock nut
*black washer cup facing up
*rubber bush
*silver washer with smaller hole, cup facing down
*lower control arm
*rubber bush
*silver washer with larger hole, cup facing down

upper (silver) shaft assembly bottom to top:
*black washer cup facing up
*rubber bush
*upper control arm
*rubber bush
*silver washer with small hole, cup facing down
*nylock nut

This leaves (1x) silver washer with larger hole unused on the top silver shaft. I assume this is so they only need to stock one washer/bush/nut kit.

I'm also wondering how much the nylock nuts should be tightened? The link you provided indicates they should only be tightened such that the the shaft threads are even with the top of the nut. However, this seems to leave significant slop in the assembly.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If it's anything like my car, you need a washer under the top bushing on the upper mount, on the top side of the crossmember. Even though it's metal on metal, on my car that upper shock hole is pushed upwards and slightly sharp, so it cuts into the rubber bushings.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Regardless of which end of the shock you begin with the black washer goes on first cup facing away from the shock body. Next is one rubber bushing the orientation of which does not matter UNLESS the bush has a shoulder moulded into one contact surface. This shoulder fits up against/into the hole in the car's frame/shock mount. If this area on the car has sharp edges and/or has elongation/damage the rubber bush will indeed fail in short order. Once the shock is in place the second rubber bush goes on the shaft followed by the silver washer with the smaller hole. The nyloc nut is tightened until the OD of the bushes just barely match the OD of the washers.

George Dill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the additional comments George.

Regardless of which end of the shock you begin with the black washer goes on first, cup facing away from the shock body.
On my kit, the black washer hole is too small to fit on the bottom (yellow) shaft immediately adjacent to the shock body. Only the silver washer with the larger hole fits in this location. The black washer fill fit on the threaded portion of the bottom (yellow) shaft though.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
...On my kit, the black washer hole is too small to fit on the bottom (yellow) shaft immediately adjacent to the shock body. Only the silver washer with the larger hole fits in this location. The black washer will fit on the threaded portion of the bottom (yellow) shaft though.
The Bilstein shock for the front of your 1800ES also fits a '59 Corvette (and '56 Amazon and '53 Studebaker and...). That kit has the identical washers/bushes/nuts as yours.

Looking at just the bottom yellow shaft...

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_products_slideshow/fullsize_2814.jpg

...it appears that the full length of the threaded yellow shaft is just sufficient to accomodate a washer, a bush, the car's shock mount/frame, another bush, another washer and the nut.

Given this, the black washer can not be the first item installed on the bottom shaft.

This would imply (on the bottom shaft) - large-hole silver washer (cup facing away from the shock body), bush, car's mount/frame, bush, another washer (TBD - cup facing shock body) then the nut.

TBD? Compare the black washer with the small-hole silver washer. Is the the hole ID identical? (should that be hole "OD"?). Test-slide the small-hole silver washer and the small-hole black washer (one-at-a-time) over the top shaft. Which washer will best (better?) retain the bush in position without risk of the washer being forced over the smooth machined portion of the rod? That washer goes on first on the top shaft (cup facing away from the shock body), a bush, car's shock mount, then see above.

BTW, are all washers the same OD and made of the same material?

George Dill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Compare the black washer with the small-hole silver washer. Is the the hole ID identical? (should that be hole "OD"?) . . . . . .

BTW, are all washers the same OD and made of the same material?
The black washer and the silver washer with the smaller hole appear to have the same dimensions. I don't feel like digging out my calipers to get exact measurements.

All washers have the same outer diameter. All appear to be formed from steel, but of course they might be different grades of steel. Black vs. silver is just a plating difference.

This has been an interesting discussion, but it has absorbed waaaay too much time, and could have easily been avoided if the folks at Bilstein had taken a few minutes of their time to include an instruction sheet with the shocks. This is very disappointing, especially considering the shocks aren't particularly cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finished up the front suspension stuff this past weekend: the Bilstein shocks, new springs (1-inch shorter), and polyurethane bushings all around.

I wound up using a combination of washers from the Bilstein kit and the old washers on the stock shocks. The left upper shock mount hole was enlarged from the original shock being loose at some point. So I put original washers above and below the upper shock mount hole on both sides to reinforce that area.

The 1-inch drop is fairly noticeable, but ground clearance should be okay. I'll tackle the rear suspension this coming weekend if the rain lets up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts