SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add an OEM hitch to my V70 to use primarily as a bike or other cargo rack. I'm trying to do it at home and avoid paying $800-1000 to the dealer.

My plan was to buy a OEM hitch from Tasca but it seems the one that matches my vin is unavailable or there is some issue resolving P/Ns. Furthermore, it seems I need to cut the exhaust to do the install which is starting to sound like a ton of work.

I did a preliminary search and dind't find much on the subject in the forum, and am curious to see if anyone has done it before and can offer some suggestions?

TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've done it twice with the same hitch that I bought a Tasca. Once on a 2008 and a 2016XC70. Some of the bolts are tough to get at but not a real difficult job. I shaved about 1/4 inch off the Botton of the bumper at the same width as the receiver. There was no cutting of the exhaust

·
Registered
74 Posts
We installed an OEM hitch some four years ago and had our Volvo of Lisle do the work (as there has be a cut made into the bumper part - I wanted it done to look professional - don't want to mess up a V70 R-design). We actually bought the hitch on-line from them (which was considerably cheaper then asking them to purchase). I have to check, but I believe it was about $200 for the hitch and about $250 for the work. Mind you this was the hitch without any electronics as we only use it to carry our bikes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Similar experience. I had Byers Volvo here in Columbus install the OEM hitch only on our 07 XC70 a few years ago. I believe it was about $500 incl cutting the exhaust & bumper cover. It was about another $500 for the light connector w/software upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
It was 9yrs ago, but it was the first thing I did when I got the car home from osd. Took about an hour. Bought a Curt hitch. On an xc70 t6 with real dual exhaust, only a tiny piece of the plastic bumper cover was cut and it's then hidden by the hitch. I also bought a trailer light kit ipd was selling, not oem, but splices on the tail lights. Doesn't bother the computer (no bulb warnings, etc) and was about $80.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts