SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Installed wheel spacers...great results

6K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  Chuck_V70R 
#1 ·
I just installed 4 ViVA wheel spacers, and I couldn't be happier. It's subtle to the point where I'm probably the only one who will notice on a regular basis, but it just looks that much meaner now. The fronts had the biggest visual impact and I think they look perfect, but the whole set really completes the look. I felt like doing the rears did make it look better, although they accentuate the need for a drop. I did 10mm front and 15mm rear (both hubcentric w/ extended lugs). Oh yea, no wheel rub is awesome too
I plan on running 245's next set as well. I will post pics next time the car gets a wash.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (Evos_R)

Wait till you get your wheels balanced and rotated. You will have to take them off before you get there as they will not work on your car and then lecture you on how unsafe it is to have spacers.

If you do leave them on make sure you have the stock size bolts so you don't have to make an extra trip home to get them.

And yes, even the 5mm spacers will piss them off...at least for me they didn't even want to see them on my car. I don't even put my 15mm spacers on any more as it is too frustrating to take them off before and then put them back on after. Good luck

#6 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (pie_ya)

Quote, originally posted by pie_ya »
...and then lecture you on how unsafe it is to have spacers.

What are the risks of driving with spacers? What is the reason they are of this opinion? What can happen?

#7 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (andersh67)

Quote, originally posted by andersh67 »

What are the risks of driving with spacers? What is the reason they are of this opinion? What can happen?

Spacers basically change the loading on your wheel bearings and cause them to wear out faster. It's kind of a last resort if you can't find rims with the specs you wanted, or just don't have the money to grab new rims. There are other reasons too, like clearing brakes or struts blah blah blah

Just gotta make sure they're torqued correctly and have enough thread.

#8 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (Jexx)

Quote, originally posted by Jexx »

Spacers basically change the loading on your wheel bearings and cause them to wear out faster. It's kind of a last resort if you can't find rims with the specs you wanted, or just don't have the money to grab new rims. There are other reasons too, like clearing brakes or struts blah blah blah

Just gotta make sure they're torqued correctly and have enough thread.

Running quality spacers is not any different than running an aftermarket wheel with a lower offset than the stock wheel.

An aftermarket 18x8" wheel with +36mm offset is exactly the same spec as running the stock Pegasus 18x8" wheel with +46mm offset and 10mm wheel spacers.

If running wheel spacers is risky/unsafe and puts extra stress on your wheel hubs, then so are aftermarket wheels with different specs than the Pegs

#9 ·

Wait till you get your wheels balanced and rotated. You will have to take them off before you get there as they will not work on your car and then lecture you on how unsafe it is to have spacers.

If you do leave them on make sure you have the stock size bolts so you don't have to make an extra trip home to get them.

And yes, even the 5mm spacers will piss them off...at least for me they didn't even want to see them on my car. I don't even put my 15mm spacers on any more as it is too frustrating to take them off before and then put them back on after. Good luck

I have F-10mm and R-10mm. Discount Tire had no problems at all dealing with them. Same for Volvo of Dallas.

#12 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (TexasV70R)

Quote, originally posted by TexasV70R »

I have F-10mm and R-10mm. Discount Tire had no problems at all dealing with them. Same for Volvo of Dallas.

Yeah, Discount Tire are the ones that were pissed. They told me the last time they balanced and rotated my tires that it would be the last time they would work on my car if I still had them on...and I am talking about the 5mm spacers on the front. I told them the only reason I have them on is because of wheel rub and they didn't care what I had to say. The other shop across the street told me the same thing and that they wouldn't work on my car either and how unsafe, etc and that no one should run wheel spacers or work on my car with them on.

Oh and Discount Tire said it was their policy so I am not sure why they treat you different then in Colorado.

#13 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (George @ ViVA)

Quote, originally posted by George @ ViVA »

Running quality spacers is not any different than running an aftermarket wheel with a lower offset than the stock wheel.

An aftermarket 18x8" wheel with +36mm offset is exactly the same spec as running the stock Pegasus 18x8" wheel with +46mm offset and 10mm wheel spacers.

If running wheel spacers is risky/unsafe and puts extra stress on your wheel hubs, then so are aftermarket wheels with different specs than the Pegs

Spacers are a can of worms from my perspective. Just sharing my .02
I do agree, definitely, that quality spacers are the only way to go, just like any other auto part in a critical location like that.

#14 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (Jexx)

Quote, originally posted by Jexx »

Spacers are a can of worms from my perspective. Just sharing my .02
I do agree, definitely, that quality spacers are the only way to go, just like any other auto part in a critical location like that.

My total bill came to $281, and the parts came from ViVA and H&R. I think it's safe to say that I got quality parts. I've seen the generic ones on ebay for $20 and I would never put those on my cars. My mod strategy for my car is basically to upgrade as many weak points as I can with the highest quality parts before I add power for the sake of power or modify the functionality. With the spacers I wanted to eliminate tire rub, allow extra room for when I drop the car and allow for 245's to be run. My next mod will be a fmic (it's 11:00pm and 81 deg here in Cincinnati), dp, upgraded suspension pieces, THEN drop and chip.

#16 ·

I would tell them if I wanted their opinion I would ask, if not blow me. Why waste the time taking them on and off just not to hear their whinig about something on your car, which by the way is only their cause Volvo engineering fu(ked up.

#17 ·
Re: (LV-R)

Quote, originally posted by LV-R »
Have a 2004 R coming in and was planning to do a similar wheel/spacer setup (18's w/15mm R & 5mm F). What size tires are you currently running and/or what you recommend??

If you give me 2 days, I can give you a back to back comparison between my current 235/40R18 Pirelli P Zero Rosso's and my soon to be installed 245/40R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's. I don't know if you will be able to fit 245's on the front with only 5mm spacers. I was under the impression that 5's were the minimum to eliminate tire rub on 235's. I think installing 245's would definitely bring back the rubbing, but I don't know how much. It might be excessive. I'm running 10F/15R, so I'll let you know how my 245 install goes. There was a post a while back about the recommended minimum spacers for 245's and IIRC they recommended 10mm.

#18 ·
Re: (Evos_R)

Hmmmm to space or not to space that is the question. The other question is what is the best combo for front and rear? I was thinking of 10/10.

#19 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (George @ ViVA)

Quote, originally posted by George @ ViVA »

I'm running aftermarket wheels on my V70R with 35 mm offset. Stock tire size. The car looks better, and no spacers to deal with, although I have hub centering rings to deal with. I never had tire rub with the original Pegs. My aftermarket wheels just happened to have a non-stock size offset. I'm glad they do.

#21 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (JoeLvo)

Just FYI for those wondering - the rears are inset 5mm vs. the fronts. Using a +5mm in the back vs front will put the wheels on the same plane. +10mm will make them poke out a bit.

#22 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (AthruC)

I run 5mm (from IPD) spacers all around, stock lugs, with 245 series Bridgestones. I still get slight rub on full-lock left-hand turns, but not enought to warrant 10mm spacers and longer lugs. It does look meaner, even with the small bump in wheel spacing.

The problem with 5mm spacers is they aren't "hub-centric". There is no lip, but rather a beveled edge on the hub ring. This allows the lip on the rim's mounting surface to catch the hub and center the wheel correctly. What a b*tch to get on. When I have my snows remounted to these Pegs, I will take them off before I go there, since I don't trust anyone to put them back on correctly. I'm a bit anal like that.

#24 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (Chuck_V70R)

Quote, originally posted by Chuck_V70R »
My front tires still rub with 5mm spacers and aftermarket BBS Wheels with Eibachs.

I'm going to assume that my BBS wheels do not have the ideal offset.

What's the offset on your BBS wheels? And are you running the stock tire size?

#26 ·
Re: Installed wheel spacers...great results (Chuck_V70R)

I currently have 10mm all the way around I took off the 15's in the rear because you could see where they had rubbed the plastic wheel well liner,this was with stock suspension FWIW keep and eye on yours just in case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.