SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed the install of a nice aftermarket system in my S70. Decent head-unit , 80Wx4 RMS AMP, and a 100W SUB.

I have my SC-816 sitting on my desk. It is in beautiful shape and my car only has 28K on it so it didn't get used a whole lot.

I'm trying to decide whether to sell it or store it. Any idea of the going fair prices on these units?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
I've seen them go for $200+

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
yea but some places sell them for 175 with a lifetime warranty so it would be fair to sell it somewhere around there if it's in good shape. But you might want to keep it if you're ever going to sell the car or pass it on etc. That way you can keep your new headunit and system.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Re: (Big Will)

You can sell it for around $200 but I would keep it in case you decide to sell the car and will probably have to put it back in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On a similar note, both the rear deck speaker in my S70 (8-speaker sound system) were crackling constantly and distorting any bass. Luckily, the guy I bought the car from used was kind enough to replace them both for free under warantee.

He said they had both "dried out" and that it wasn't an uncommon issue. Has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (dragon17)

Quote, originally posted by dragon17 »
You can sell it for around $200 but I would keep it in case you decide to sell the car and will probably have to put it back in.

Thanks. That is how I am leaning on this. It would be very quick to put the old unit back in if needed.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (ericd)

Quote, originally posted by ericd »
On a similar note, both the rear deck speaker in my S70 (8-speaker sound system) were crackling constantly and distorting any bass. Luckily, the guy I bought the car from used was kind enough to replace them both for free under warantee.

He said they had both "dried out" and that it wasn't an uncommon issue. Has anyone else had this happen?

I am still using the stock speakers. They sound "ok". There is no crackling or anything like that. To enhance the bass I installed a powered 10" Audiobahn sub in the trunk. With this you can start hearing aspects of the music that you never even knew were there before. It is easily removed (or moved around) if the space is needed. This helps take some of the dynamic load off the main speakers and improves overall sound quality - I set the high and low pass filters of my HU to 70Hz. Another option would have been to put 8" subs in the rear shelf replacing the speakers that are there now. This would have required another amp to drive them.

They way I did it was simply the cheaper way to do it. At some point I assume that I will need to replace the main speakers due to age.

An interesting sidebar - if I send the full spectrum to the main speakers (filter off) I end up with drop out. It seems like the system starts consuming so much power on the base peaks that the amps are not getting enough juice at times, so my overall bass response ends up going down. I haven't quite figured this one out. I think I would need to put in a CAP if I wanted to run this way to power through the peaks. However, I was able to test what this would sound like. (It seems like things are happy if powered on with the engine running) In general, the sound seems cleaner if I leave the high-pass filter set at 70Hz.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You can find used radios at junk yards sometimes. I just picked up a spare 816 for $100 since my CD player went on the fritz last week. Now I'll have one to use whenever one of ours goes out and needs repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts