SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the GruppeM intake on our XC90 R-Design that I bought from Viva and it really feels like it opens it up a lot. Very smooth power and a noticeable power increase in the top half of the power band. Pricey? Yes. Killer looks and performance? Yes!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Very nice. Reminds me of my cold intake for an 1990 Infinity Q45a that I hopped up. Back then the ecu could not handle the significant increase in air volume. The car ran really lean as a consequence. I don't suspect that would be an issue in the modern Volvo engine. I recall a real kick in performance. Do they say what the dyno results were for this mod? One of my buddies use to distribute GruppeM parts for the NSX. Very high end, high quality, beautiful looking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow that's nice!

+1 curious about gains... any dyno charts?

·
Registered
228 Posts
That’s a really nice CAI!

How about sound? Do you get a little more supercharger whine? (Something I like on an FI engine, though others may not)

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,028 Posts
Just curious, but doesn't the Supercharger/Turbocharger functionality negate the benefits of a CAI? You put in cold air only to heat it up in the chargers. Wouldn't a bigger Intercooler be a better mod, if power is what one is looking for?

The CAI definitely does look sweet but I'd opt for the Intercooler especially when they are very similarly priced!

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's the prettiest CAI I've ever seen...but also probably the priciest! That's more than most cat-back exhaust systems I used to put on my cars when I was younger. I'd love to get one, but a 4-figure price tag is kind of hard to swallow.

Anybody know of any other CAI alternatives? I might be able to swallow that if there were quoted HP/TQ gains from somewhere, but just "it helps" doesn't justify that price for me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just curious, but doesn't the Supercharger/Turbocharger functionality negate the benefits of a CAI? You put in cold air only to heat it up in the chargers. Wouldn't a bigger Intercooler be a better mod, if power is what one is looking for?

The CAI definitely does look sweet but I'd opt for the Intercooler especially when they are very similarly priced!
I don't think it negates the benefits - Super/Turbo still have to suck air in. I honestly think the benefit is from air FLOW more than air TEMP, which I think addresses your point. It does heat up in the chargers. In theory more flow would just allow more air into the engine (even if it is at the same temp). I'd guess the impact is more noticeable on the turbo than the super as the super's ability to compress is tied to the RPM, whereas the turbo spools with exhaust gasses.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,028 Posts
I don't think it negates the benefits - Super/Turbo still have to suck air in. I honestly think the benefit is from air FLOW more than air TEMP, which I think addresses your point. It does heat up in the chargers. In theory more flow would just allow more air into the engine (even if it is at the same temp). I'd guess the impact is more noticeable on the turbo than the super as the super's ability to compress is tied to the RPM, whereas the turbo spools with exhaust gasses.
Yup. Sorry for my bad choice of words there. I meant to reduce, instead of negating. More air-flow - yes. Denser air-flow - no.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about sound? Do you get a little more supercharger whine?
I was hoping for a little more aggressive sound but there is not any difference. When I removed the original airbox it connected to a tube that goes down into the bumper. You still use that tube and I would guess there are some sound deadening chambers on it, but I have not looked up in the bumper to find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

An intercooler would be a great benefit, and Heico does make one. This intake actually utilized the original inlet pipe (from somewhere in the bumper to the bottom of the airbox before the filter) so it really mirrors the factory setup. The cone design does allow for greater airflow but I would think its more of a short ram than a cold air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody know of any other CAI alternatives? I might be able to swallow that if there were quoted HP/TQ gains from somewhere, but just "it helps" doesn't justify that price for me.
Well so far this was the only intake option I have found, with the exception of drop in style filters. I've got a buddy with a dyno in town, I'll see if he will let me get some numbers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The cone design does allow for greater airflow but I would think its more of a short ram than a cold air.
+1. For it to be a true cold air intake, the piping would need to be longer and bring the filter lower to the bumper area so that it would be able to suck in air from outside the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
That looks amazing, but I wish they would make a non-carbon fiber version to bring down that price tag.

·
Registered
484 Posts
looks way cooler than it actually works. i was sponsored back in the day by KN and others. High flow air filter will get you 80% there at 20% of the price. Intakes what a lot of people don't know are actually designed for a specific length that makes the air flow more efficient. Turbo mag did several dyno test back to back of different CAI. engine bay temps while a car moving usually isn't a big deal. I've installed temp sensors in my engine bay before and you would be surprised to see how low the engine bay temps are.

The bigger problem has always been how filtration vs airflow. Cold air is always nice but airflow is more important since we can get cold air when the car is moving at decent speeds while insulating the intake. I've taken apart enough engines and you can clearly see more dirt with those high flow filters. That's one reason i don't believe in cleaning them and putting them back in. I rather just replace them. Upgraded intakes do make the turbo sound a lot cooler :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
looks way cooler than it actually works. i was sponsored back in the day by KN and others. High flow air filter will get you 80% there at 20% of the price. Intakes what a lot of people don't know are actually designed for a specific length that makes the air flow more efficient. Turbo mag did several dyno test back to back of different CAI. engine bay temps while a car moving usually isn't a big deal. I've installed temp sensors in my engine bay before and you would be surprised to see how low the engine bay temps are.
That is really interesting... do you mind sharing any data you have about the temp difference between air inside the engine bay vs outside ambient temp?

·
Registered
484 Posts
That is really interesting... do you mind sharing any data you have about the temp difference between air inside the engine bay vs outside ambient temp?
i have to go back to my logs but the testing i did was one of my race cars was an STI and I measured intake air temps. When the car is actually going intake air temps IIRC was only 15 degrees above ambient. This was at 30mph.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

The bigger problem has always been how filtration vs airflow. Cold air is always nice but airflow is more important since we can get cold air when the car is moving at decent speeds while insulating the intake. I've taken apart enough engines and you can clearly see more dirt with those high flow filters. That's one reason i don't believe in cleaning them and putting them back in. I rather just replace them. Upgraded intakes do make the turbo sound a lot cooler :)
With aftermarket filters like K&N you have to be careful with the oil process. My experience with a couple of cars suggests that the OEM paper filters if changed regularly offer better engine protection from soot and other crap versus the aftermarket foam. The key is to find where in the system you have reduced flow. On my NSX I removed the K&N filters and tossed them and went back to the OEM Paper filters. I did add downpipes which have race Cats that tested out doubling the exhaust flow. The cats were the restrictive element in the system. Upped the noise and performance, but expensive >$4000 installed.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Talking about air intake filters, I see that Volvo’s prepaid maintenance program calls for replacing the filter every 40K.

My dealer created their own knock-off version which purportedly goes beyond the Volvo PPM. Unfortunately, I just noticed that my dealer’s PPM calls for replacement every 60K.

That seems too infrequent - even for MN. MN is not like SW KS or AZ sandstorms, but still 40K seems more appropriate.

I had been looking at threads regarding air intake including this one. I am staying away from K-N - no need to get into that oil regimen.

Update: There is a $13 Mann filter, a $44-$65 OEM filter, a $79 high performance and a $129 Sport.

I am planning to get the OEM and call it a day.

BTW: I posted the VivaPerformance since OP asked about it.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

1 - 20 of 58 Posts