SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know StealthHitch is much nicer to have detachable receptacle and be invisible when not used. Just in my mind I can't justify for the more than doubled price and 4x for towing package. It is fine to me to save cost on a luxury car.

The visible receptacle also shows my car is more capable than other cars. And I can put some interesting cover on it.

I did it at home. With stacked shipping boxes at right height on floor to rest the bumper cover while taking it off. I can get to the harness easily. When putting it back, I again rest it on boxes and put one side up then the other. No help hand is needed.

The installation goes well but there is one thing taking time. The two supporting brackets for bottom of bumper cover are in the way of the hitch beam. The instruction video shows they need to be bent to different angle. But it is hard to keep the bolt hole on it at same location after bent to fit the bumper cover. After I put bumper cover on, they are off position. I had to hammer them towards the rear to make it possible to screw in the bolts. It is close to muffler so have to be careful using a small hammer precisely. Don't hit the muffler.

Even so, next time when someone takes off bumper cover, it will be tricky to put the four bolts back there. Well, I can't care for now.

I only need bike rake for now. If I need towing in future, wiring kit is available for small cost though may need to take off bumper cover to install. The towing package from StealthHitch is 4+ times the cost.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I also went with the Draw Tite hitch. The same hitch is used for the XC90 and XC60. I don't mind that you can see it as well. The price was right. By the way if you are interested I have the trailer hitch wiring kit that connects to the rear lights and battery and does not require you to remove the bumper again. I initially purchased this and then decided to go the full OEM with their wire harness and the towing module. That was an expensive upgrade. Anyway if interested I will sell it for $30 shipped. https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Volvo/XC90/2017/118683.html?vehicleID=201742484 I went with a Performance Bike carrier that will hold two mountain bikes. It comes with a device to lock into the receiver so that you don't have a lot of rocking.

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also went with the Draw Tite hitch. The same hitch is used for the XC90 and XC60. I don't mind that you can see it as well. The price was right. By the way if you are interested I have the trailer hitch wiring kit that connects to the rear lights and battery and does not require you to remove the bumper again. I initially purchased this and then decided to go the full OEM with their wire harness and the towing module. That was an expensive upgrade. Anyway if interested I will sell it for $30 shipped. https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Volvo/XC90/2017/118683.html?vehicleID=201742484 I went with a Performance Bike carrier that will hold two mountain bikes. It comes with a device to lock into the receiver so that you don't have a lot of rocking.
Thanks for info. Bike rack is the only thing for me. Don't have anything to tow in near future.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Let’s see some rear end pics @FusionRedXC60!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
How timely - I just installed the same hitch yesterday afternoon. The installation was very straight forward. It look less than an hour. I watched the etrailer video and it went smoothly.

In terms of bending the brackets I used a pair of vice grips to hold the heat shield to the bracket and used a 5 pound hammer to reshape it. The holes lined up perfectly when I reinstalled the bumper.

Here is the best part, I went to my local uhaul dealer to buy it they only had one in stock and it looked like it had been there for a long time it was covered in dust and had a small scratch on it. I asked if he could do better in the price and he said absolutely- paid 130 for it

Here are some pics with the 1up USA bike rack installed.

Note, prior to installing it - I painted it with a coat of Truck Bed Liner to protect it from rusting. I hate seeing a rusted hitch!

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You did much better hammering the brackets. The heat shield can be bent very easily so not an issue.
I hammered the brackes but not enough. They are still squeezed by the beam and end up lower and not extended enough to rear. It is too hard to keep the screw holes in same position when there is nothing to anchor with.
If there is an illustration of where the holes should be related to the hitch beam after hitch is tightened up, it will be much easier to adjust the postion at that point, before bumper cover is put back. At the end I think the holes are about 1cm below the beam, and 1cm to the rear edge of the beam.

Think again, I could use a wood stud with the right height measured from the bracket hole to ground. Stick and screw the wood stud under the bracket and hammer it. Could be a lot easier to get the right angle and keep it at same position.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We went for a ride today with all four bikes - the bike rack on this hitch was solid!!!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Pop any wheelies? Lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an XC40 and looking at the same hitch. How much of the facia did you have to cut for the hitch to fit? One the other parts I struggle with is the Draw-Tite bolts on. Where the factory hitch integrates into the frame to me that sounds like better support but does it really matter. How well does the integrated control module work? Like you I was thinking of going with the e-trailor harness. I have issues with pay $300.00 for the dealer to spend 15 minutes downloading software.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Find another dealer. Mine charged me just under $100 total for the software and labor to install it.

The XC40 is a completely different vehicle architecture (CMA not SPA) so you can't compare how the hitches install. You'd be better off asking in the XC40 forum and getting pictures from owners of your model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts