SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after I washed her car she who must be obeyed advised me that her car didnt crank as strong as it usually does a few times last week. 6.5 years and 81k on the battery - why wait for it to die? So I went on line and bought the die hard sears said fits - a size 49 with 850CCA. It came to $155 with tax.

A few minutes later I drove her car the mile and a half to sears in the pouring rain and picked up the battery. I then drove again in the pouring rain to install it. She couldnt tell me it was going this morning when it was sunny and the car was dirty?

The sucker is significantly larger than the stock size 48 in the car that has 600CCA. But, it fits perfectly because the trunk floor has a threaded hole for the bracket. Must be for the diesels battery.

The vent hose was a bit of a PITA. the piece on the sears battery is an oval male in the middle of the sears battery, and a found female on the side of the factory battery. i ended up pulling the tube out of the grommet on the floor of the trunk, reversing it so the rubber hose would slip over the male oval, and then put the plastic elbow that fit into the factory battery into the grommet.

I think costco sells a size 48 with about 600CCA for about $70. I should not have taken the word of the sears website that said only a size 49 fits our car. When i tried to look at the specs of the 48 the site told me it wouldnt fit the xc90.

just a heads up to others replacing their battery. costco doesnt sell a 49, but does sell a 48.

oh, and when all was said and done, the car started just like it did before I spent the money on a new battery. since she didnt get stranded, it is like i did nothing to the car. Im glad i replaced the battery, and thanks for letting me vent about taking the car out in the rain shortly after washing it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Our V8 XC90 has a Volvo group size 49 as the OEM battery. I wonder if it is specified for the larger engine?

The battery selector at Interstate's web page lists both group 48 and 49 with the 49 listed as
the "heavy duty" battery.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Just a heads up, I had Volvo replace my battery a year ago or so due to the same symptoms you are describing and it didn't change a thing, it kept cranking slow. Well, I took it in earlier this wee and it was actually the starter making it crank slow. Now, it cranks super fast and starts right up, I have no idea how long the starter was hanging up, but it's night and day difference now.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Test batteries before replacing them, and the charging system. Those simple steps can save money and time when the real problem
is someplace else.

I will use a 49 when our 7yo battery finally goes out.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
while i agree with the last two posts, the battery was six and a half years old. by replacing it what did i screw myself out of? maybe a year? i would rather replace it on a warm july day at my leisure than on a bitter cold night wherever she breaks down. i had to change the battery in one of my porsches at the LIRR train station parking lot as night was coming in. my wife had to come over with a change of clothes so i wouldnt ruin my suit, i got the battery minutes before the store closed.... i had the warning signs and ignored them. for the few bucks of battery life i gave up knowing that when she takes her trip to steamboat this weekend with the kid and a strong battery is peace of mind.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Did you have to recalibrate anything? I remember reading something about that here a while back but can no longer find that thread even via google swedepeed search thx

·
Registered
668 Posts
while i agree with the last two posts, the battery was six and a half years old. by replacing it what did i screw myself out of? maybe a year? i would rather replace it on a warm july day at my leisure than on a bitter cold night wherever she breaks down. i had to change the battery in one of my porsches at the LIRR train station parking lot as night was coming in. my wife had to come over with a change of clothes so i wouldnt ruin my suit, i got the battery minutes before the store closed.... i had the warning signs and ignored them. for the few bucks of battery life i gave up knowing that when she takes her trip to steamboat this weekend with the kid and a strong battery is peace of mind.
Yeah the wife's car always gets first class treatment, my car on the other hand gets third class treatment. Happy wife=Happy life!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Did you have to recalibrate anything? I remember reading something about that here a while back but can no longer find that thread even via google swedepeed search thx
i remember reading that too, and think it may be bmw. the owners manual says let the car sit for five minutes so all the settings are saved. i did that and all i had to reset was the clock. the radio stations and seat memory were saved. dont forget it was disconnected for all of five minutes.

Happy wife for sure. she got a new battery and i got myself an old Z3-M. she loves her volvo, and I am tickled to have another sports car after a two year hiatus. still have my little astra for the cloudy days.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Replacement procedure should be in the manual. From the 2013 manual I found online:

1. Switch off the ignition.
2. Wait at least 5 minutes after switching
off the ignition before disconnecting the
battery so that all information in the vehicle's
electrical system can be stored in the
control modules.
3. Remove the retaining bracket and unscrew
the cover over the battery. Wait at least
5 minutes after switching off the ignition
before disconnecting the battery so that all
information in the vehicle's electrical system
can be stored in the control modules
4. Disconnect the negative (ground) cable
first.
5. Disconnect the positive cable and pull the
ventilation hose from the battery.
6. Lift out the old battery and put a new battery
into place.
7. Connect the positive cable first.
8. Connect the negative (ground) cable.
9. Be sure that the ventilation hose is securely
connected to the battery and that the other
end of the hose is properly routed through
the ventilation opening in the floor of the
battery compartment.
10. Reinstall the cover and retaining bracket
and screw it securely in place.

NOTE
After the battery has been disconnected or
replaced, lock and unlock the vehicle with
the central locking system's remote key to
reactivate such features as the power windows,
moonroof, courtesy lighting, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 2006 XC90-2.5T has 50K miles on it and it appears the battery is dying. 2nd jump start in 2 weeks and I wanted to know if it is a good idea to replace asap. Called Stealership and they quoted $295 (installed). Will go to Costco and check if they have the battery I want. Any specific make of battery which give a better performance?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the larger replacement battery? Mine cranks very slowly if I let the car sit for more than two days but the electrolyte levels look fine. May be time for a new battery, but since I'm making a trip to Colorado from Texas in February, I want to make sure 100% the car will be up for it!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Firestone has a Black Friday deal - all 5 year batteries (Interstate Mid-Grade battery) are $69.99 - I wonder if they will honor it for my Volvo since the battery is typically $220. Terms and conditions don't say anything about different models or makes. I'm going to give it a shot.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Firestone has a Black Friday deal - all 5 year batteries (Interstate Mid-Grade battery) are $69.99 - I wonder if they will honor it for my Volvo since the battery is typically $220. Terms and conditions don't say anything about different models or makes. I'm going to give it a shot.
I hope they do. For what it is worth: My dad, back when he had a Ford Falcon, tried to buy a on sale battery from SEARS and they refused to sell it to him, claiming that it would not start his car. He was not asking them to install it, nor was he asking them if the battery would work in his car, he just wanted to buy the advertised battery for the price listed. Good luck on it!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Success! Kind of...the first location I went to was able to ring it up, but the manager would not sell it to me because he said it doesn't apply to "rare high-power batteries" - I think when he saw the MSRP he realized he was losing a lot of money. I pointed out the coupon didn't say there were any restrictions on sizes or cars, but he said he wasn't selling it to me.

The second location I went to had no problem. They had them in stock, rung me up, and $75 out the door later I had a gigantic H8/49 Interstate battery in my hands.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
A battery size designation has little to do with power. You can get a lighter weight and smaller sealed modern marine AGM battery with 875 cold cranking amps and 2x reliability for $99. This is not the fancy "race boy" battery, it is a heavy lifter i use a pair of these in a twin 427 cubic inch displacement cruiser, FYI

Regards

P

·
Registered
649 Posts
A battery size designation has little to do with power. You can get a lighter weight and smaller sealed modern marine AGM battery with 875 cold cranking amps and 2x reliability for $99. This is not the fancy "race boy" battery, it is a heavy lifter i use a pair of these in a twin 427 cubic inch displacement cruiser, FYI

Regards

P
Yep, plenty aware of this. I was looking at some lithium-iron batteries. 8lb battery with the same cranking amps of a 50lb wet battery! When my car was waiting for new wheels I didn't disconnect the battery (~8 months of storage) and it died...very dead - the current replacement is just a cheap Autozone Duralast battery, but I'm planning on making a custom aluminum bracket to mount a fancy new 8lb LiFe battery in it's place. 8lb! 42lb lighter than the stock battery!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi Peng,

I overstated the cca on the AGM battery, looked again and it is

20 amp hour rate:55
BCI Group Size:34M
CA at 32 degrees F:955
CCA at 0 degrees F:775
Reserve Capacity:120
Volts:12

I think you did fine with your battery choice, probably will never have to see it again.

best,

P

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am torn between MEGA-TRON PLUS 49/H8 or Duralast Gold H8-DLG for my XC-90 2.5T. Any recommendations?
the one that costs less money, or the one that has more CCAs. you decide which is more important to you.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts