SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the IPD (R Kelly) CAI. I see many of you have installed these yourself. How hard is this to do?

Note that I am not the type of guy that usually hangs out in the garage to tinker with my car and engine etc. But with good instructions I can usually get around pretty good. It does not seem to be too complicated.

I got an estimate from a service place to get it installed for $200. Is it worth doing this myself or do I risk messing something up?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: Installation question about IPD (R Kelly) CAI (andersh67)

Holy crap dude for $200.00
Some one is trying to rip you off!!! You will need a two inch hole saw, a shrap utility knife, and a way to heat it. You can either order the open fog light grills or modify the ones you have with a "hot utility knife" to cut the splash pan to route the house I would say a three inch hole saw or the hot knife technique. Read the directions from IPD once or twice go in prepared and save yourself alot of money. If I was local I would install for you for a six pack of beer. $7.50 Please don't waste your money!!! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Re: (Garnetmica)

That's about right. It cost me $400 to have my two installed.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: (Garnetmica)

Make sure you read the instructions closely. Also, there are MANY threads on here regarding installation.

Here is the thread I flipped out in because I was having issues (all my fault):
http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...age=2

Since then I have installed a few more and taking all of that apart is second nature to me. Take your time and enjoy a 6 pack while you do it

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
dude, do not spend 2 bills on doing this mod, its easy and free as others have mentioned. Have someone on the board help you out and use the money to purchase the pizza and beer for them and make it a mini gtg.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: (QnsMostWanted)

Quote, originally posted by QnsMostWanted »
dude, do not spend 2 bills on doing this mod, its easy and free as others have mentioned. Have someone on the board help you out and use the money to purchase the pizza and beer for them and make it a mini gtg.

Word. There are plenty of R owners in Cali. You might have to drive a little, but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (GiRaff3)

Quote, originally posted by GiRaff3 »

Word. There are plenty of R owners in Cali. You might have to drive a little, but it will be worth it.

Anyone close to San Jose / Bay Area who can help me out with this maybe? Preferably you should have done this yourself so that we can leverage your experiences. Pizza and beer of course.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Re: Installation question about IPD (R Kelly) CAI (andersh67)

don't spend and time or money installing it -- throw it away.

spend your money on a proper FMIC, then just remove the cover of your air box http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: (andersh67)

Quote, originally posted by andersh67 »

Anyone close to San Jose / Bay Area who can help me out with this maybe? Preferably you should have done this yourself so that we can leverage your experiences. Pizza and beer of course.

Visit he regional forum and post, or try making a thread in here asking for help in Cali. I am sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Installation question about IPD (petew)

Quote, originally posted by petew »
don't spend and time or money installing it -- throw it away.

spend your money on a proper FMIC, then just remove the cover of your air box http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Are you saying that the CAI does not give me a noticable performance gain at all? I've read a lot of positive threads about it in here.

Well, down the road I will probably do the FMIC as well, but for now this is the budget solution.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
I can help out...

Ive done that one before, and have moved on to other things.

Feel free to PM me. I'm in Burlingame or Daly City

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: Installation question about IPD (andersh67)

Quote, originally posted by andersh67 »

Are you saying that the CAI does not give me a noticable performance gain at all? I've read a lot of positive threads about it in here.

No it works, but an ongoing debate between performance enthusiasts has been: How does a "cold" air intake help a turbocharged engine when the air that is maybe 5 - 10 degrees cooler, (especially on the R seeing as how it has a pretty well desiged snorkel) help when a short distance later the air is super baked and heat matched to what the turbo wants it to be (theory is that all the air is cooked to the same temp once it passes through the turbo)
The only real benift that you get from installing a product like the IPD/ R Kelly Intake is much less vacumn restriction when you really open up the engine and the air demands go beyond what the factory system wants to give freely. That is why the recommendation comes to just get a better intercooler and alleviate the restriction by popping the lid off the airbox.

Quote, originally posted by crimnlmnded »

I didn't time myself but it took me about 30 minutes $200- what a ripoff- ask him if his wife will blow you while he installs it.
ROFLOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.