SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I am wondering if anyone in the UK has installed a BLP990 unit on their Volvo V50?

Ive followed all the instructions and even though i get the unit working, I am not getting any sound. I have uploaded a video.

If anyone can help or assist, that will be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
There are the two red & white cables on Harness A that are not connected they are both labeled Aux R & Aux L. they need to be connected to Fr-R and Fr-L and Aux Out-R Aux Out-L on the BLP-990. See the instructions back of first page. I can't remember which goes to which at this moment. But these cables need to be connected for sound. I will check my notes tonight.

per Blupower:

Connect the two female connectors on Harness A labeled AUX OUT R and AUX OUT L to the two female connectors from the BLP-990 labeled FR and FL.

Connect the two male connectors on Harness A labeled AUX OUT R and AUX OUT L to the two female connectors from the BLP-990 labeled AUX R and AUX L (grey colored cable).

Second connection is necessary if you want to use your AUX plug in car with our unit.
There is no problem to draw all this cable from the center panel to the hand glove box compartment, you don’t need to use the fan housing path for all cables.

·
Registered
2 Posts
problem solved?

Hello everyone.

I am wondering if anyone in the UK has installed a BLP990 unit on their Volvo V50?

Ive followed all the instructions and even though i get the unit working, I am not getting any sound. I have uploaded a video.

If anyone can help or assist, that will be great.

Thanks
hi

i was wondering if your problem has been solved
i also have that problem
everthing works but no sound

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
problem solved?

hi

i have the same problem with the blp 990
everything works but no sound

high performance sound

i connected the aux to the fr cables but still no sound
do i have to use the aux button?
also use the standard radio signal(behind the cd player)

thanks for your replies

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what Bluepower have said there are two version of the BLP-990, depending on what audio system you have. The firmware is different and so is the installation.

I installed the BLP-990 over the weekend into a car with base level audio. All works OK apart from the radio, reception is poor. It is only clear with the strongest of signals, much of the time we get static.

I used the newly supplied antenna lead which had just been released, there was a problem with the first batch - as I understand it, some just didn't work at all?

Our car is a MY2009 V50. One of the things I was looking at is how the Volvo antennas work. On the wiring diagram there is any aerial amplifier shown as part of the car but it doesn't show any power connection. I'm wondering if this amp should be powered from the antenna lead of the radio and the Bluepower antenna adaptor isn't doing this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blp - 990

From what Bluepower have said there are two version of the BLP-990, depending on what audio system you have. The firmware is different and so is the installation.

I installed the BLP-990 over the weekend into a car with base level audio. All works OK apart from the radio, reception is poor. It is only clear with the strongest of signals, much of the time we get static.

I used the newly supplied antenna lead which had just been released, there was a problem with the first batch - as I understand it, some just didn't work at all?

Our car is a MY2009 V50. One of the things I was looking at is how the Volvo antennas work. On the wiring diagram there is any aerial amplifier shown as part of the car but it doesn't show any power connection. I'm wondering if this amp should be powered from the antenna lead of the radio and the Bluepower antenna adaptor isn't doing this.
I to have an issue with radio reception, I can only get one clear reception with the latest aerial lead?
I have a 2008 V50 with the basic audio. All is working fine except for the radio and screen dimming function can be an issue.
I've spoken to Bluepower and I don't think they know what the issue can be.

Tony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone please upload the installation instructions for blp-990 premium. It seems that they sent me a basic package and it may be missing many components. I have everything hooked up and have no sound. They did not include any instructions and the only instructions I can find online are for the basic setup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed. More troubleshooting.

I just got this installed, and have a few additional thoughts about it:

Installed in a 2008 C30 with premium sound.

1. In order to get sound from the CD/DVD player, an additional RCA cable is required (not included in the package). I had to go buy a 3 ft RCA cable in order for that to work.
2. Navigation is NOT included. I had to purchase a microSD card and download the navigation software from BluePower. Then had to unzip and copy to the microSD card and install into the GPS slot.
3. Radio reception through the BLP-990, at least here in Seattle, is pitiful. Luckily the original radio controls work and still sound pretty good.

Other than that, it works pretty good. My phone connects via bluetooth pretty quickly, and the A2DP sound is good. Hands-free phone calls sound pretty good too. I was able to get the navigation up and running I think (haven't tried it yet, but brought it up in my driveway and it located me, etc.)

It's pretty expensive considering it doesn't come as a complete package, but it's better than the original/stock unit.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Is the sound quality better than the factory Premium Sound System? Does it have its own amplifiers or does it use the factory amps?

I had a V50 with Premium Sound and was pleased with it. My present V50 has the Low Performance Sound System and it sucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tag for information...

I am installing a BLP-840 in my 2007 XC70.

One thing I attempting, is to use the existing Volvo Bluetooth microphone, by splicing a 3.5 mm mono jack on to the mic cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BLP 990 installation

I installed the BLP 990 but there is a rectangular shadow across the middle of the screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update to my previous post

I just got this installed, and have a few additional thoughts about it:

Installed in a 2008 C30 with premium sound.

1. In order to get sound from the CD/DVD player, an additional RCA cable is required (not included in the package). I had to go buy a 3 ft RCA cable in order for that to work.
2. Navigation is NOT included. I had to purchase a microSD card and download the navigation software from BluePower. Then had to unzip and copy to the microSD card and install into the GPS slot.
3. Radio reception through the BLP-990, at least here in Seattle, is pitiful. Luckily the original radio controls work and still sound pretty good.

Other than that, it works pretty good. My phone connects via bluetooth pretty quickly, and the A2DP sound is good. Hands-free phone calls sound pretty good too. I was able to get the navigation up and running I think (haven't tried it yet, but brought it up in my driveway and it located me, etc.)

It's pretty expensive considering it doesn't come as a complete package, but it's better than the original/stock unit.
Well, as of yesterday, 5/30/2017, having had the unit installed for less than 4 months, the touchscreen no longer works. It is completely unresponsive, and therefore, completely useless, as I can't touch the screen to get in to the app (it just stays stuck on the clock screensaver screen). I have reset the unit quite a few times, as is described in the troubleshooting section of the manual, to no avail. I don't know if it's just the touchscreen or the entire unit. At this point I'm troubleshat. I have emailed Bluepower about it but have not yet heard back. Hopefully they will make good, but we shall see.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My BLP-990 arrived last week, going to be a week or two before I have time to attempt the install. I've read that once the display is in place in the waterfall it is just about impossible to remove it... can anyone confirm/deny that?

I'm considering a Nordic Oak console in my not too distant future, wondering if I should wait until I get that before I put the BluePower in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts