SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello american friend,

I have the opportunity to install V60 Polestar front brakes on my Volvo D5 AWD (sorry it's a diesel but 240ch anyway, lol)

Who has already installed Polestar front brakes on a standard V60 or S60? What should I change others? Brake cylinder? Power cylinder?

Thank you in advance for your recommendations and advice

Kevin from France

For information, I already have the rims Polestar 20 "

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hello american friend,

I have the opportunity to install V60 Polestar front brakes on my Volvo D5 AWD (sorry it's a diesel but 240ch anyway, lol)

Who has already installed Polestar front brakes on a standard V60 or S60? What should I change others? Brake cylinder? Power cylinder?

Thank you in advance for your recommendations and advice

Kevin from France

For information, I already have the rims Polestar 20 "

I did it, I bolted on the dust shield, calipers, polestar brake lines and rotors. I believe the polestar brake lines are longer than the standard one or at least I was told so I installed them too. You don’t need the brake booster or power booster but I have one for when I do my back brakes to larger ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The first question I would have is "Is the piston area the same?" If the Polestar front piston area is greater and you do not install Polestar rear brakes (if there is such a thing), the brake bias will move forward. This may or may not be a problem, but it certainly not something Volvo tested.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The first question I would have is "Is the piston area the same?" If the Polestar front piston area is greater and you do not install Polestar rear brakes (if there is such a thing), the brake bias will move forward. This may or may not be a problem, but it certainly not something Volvo tested.
The rear polestar brakes are the same as a stock V60/S60 rear brakes so it doesn’t affect braking bias at all. Brakes the same as a stock polestar

·
Registered
375 Posts
The rear polestar brakes are the same as a stock V60/S60 rear brakes so it doesn’t affect braking bias at all. Brakes the same as a stock polestar

Everything is the same except the pad.
31408670 is the current part number; its predecessor 31408061 (the pad my car came with stock) has a DOT pad code GG which is the highest friction rating for iron brakes.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Wow, what is that color?!

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's not. You're guaranteed to shift brake bias front which is fine as understeer is a safer character than oversteer.

Here's a bias calculator and my own research on the matter.

·
Registered
9 Posts

For your information, the Polestar rear rotors and calipers are identical to ones on the P3 XC60's but the brake pads are HP2000 GG. Stock V60/S60 come with solid rotors, not vented ones.

·
Registered
378 Posts
For your information, the Polestar rear rotors and calipers are identical to ones on the P3 XC60's but the brake pads are HP2000 GG. Stock V60/S60 come with solid rotors, not vented ones.
For your information my 2016 V60 has vented rear rotors from the factory which is why I said the rear brakes on the non polestar cars are the same as polestar cars with the exception of the pads (didn’t know that before about the pads)...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Incorrect in the US/Canada. My 2012 came with rear vented rotors from the factory.
I see. My MY16 V60 T5R comes with rear solid rotors. MY18 Polestar comes with rear vented ones. Size is the same, 302mm If I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We can easily change by solid or ventilated rotor, in France we have the choice between 2 in store

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did it, I bolted on the dust shield, calipers, polestar brake lines and rotors. I believe the polestar brake lines are longer than the standard one or at least I was told so I installed them too. You don’t need the brake booster or power booster but I have one for when I do my back brakes to larger ones.
Thank you for your reply
So it's quite simple installation, the replacement is simple enough finally, I was afraid of having to change the brake booster or power booster.
So I will buy.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Sorry to rain on the parade here, but why add the polestar calipers to a AWD D5? Seems to be a bit of overkill for 190-240hp D5?

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper in the long run when you have to start replacing pads and rotors to upgrade to the 316mm rotor/caliper combo from the T5, or step up to the R-design or XC90 rotor/calipers?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry to rain on the parade here, but why add the polestar calipers to a AWD D5? Seems to be a bit of overkill for 190-240hp D5?

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper in the long run when you have to start replacing pads and rotors to upgrade to the 316mm rotor/caliper combo from the T5, or step up to the R-design or XC90 rotor/calipers?
Because I have the opportunity to have these brakes (see the photo) for cheap and as I install all the elements of a V60 Polestar on mine, this is the opportunity and more the braking is bad on the D5 so I'll solve this with these brakes

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
It's the color : Cosmic White (It's a pearly white with gray highlights), it is not available in the United States?
Cosmic white was not an option for V/S60s in the states. Last time we saw that was on the C30s!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cosmic white was not an option for V/S60s in the states. Last time we saw that was on the C30s!
It's a shame, she's beautiful this color.

It's an option in France but there are not many.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts