SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! On Monday, I will install Vivas FMIC kit and I'm anxious to see the difference. Can anyone give me good tips and suggestions for the installation.!? So how long does this job take for a Volvo Mechanic!?:cool:

Grateful for the response

//Tristan

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
6-10 Hours about for an FMIC install, depends on the mechanic's skill level of course.

Btw, I changed the thread title to VIVA's instead of Vidas...

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I installed my ViVA FMIC about two weeks ago, all told it took about 12 hours, but I was working alone and slowly.

Remove bumper
Elevate the front end at least 2 feet
Remove both headlights
Remove the top black metal crossmember
Remove the front crash bar (bumper support)
Disassemble the cooling pack (radiator/IC/AC) and remove the OEM IC
Reassemble the cooling pack, getting the radiator and A/C as close as you can without them touching
Remount the crash bar
Mount the ViVA FMIC using carriage bolts that you buy from your Swedish hardware store
Install the pipeworks
Re-install the metal crossmember, cutting out the added A/C opening
With all the connections double and triple checked, turn the car on. If it works, remount the bumper and take it for a test drive.
I recommend keeping a full set of tools in the car for a few thousand miles to make roadside repairs if a clamp fails or something breaks.

The hardest part for me was the piping, figuring out the angles. For two important junctions I used the volvo OEM clamps because they are smaller and easier to work with that the T-bar clamps in the kit. These two are the clamps that are inline with the cooling pack. I also snapped the t-bolt tightening the throttle connection and replaced it with a monster spring-loaded t-bolt from the internet. I recently took a bunch of pictures, they will help you because the ViVA pictures are lame. I'll get them off my camera later today.

When I took things apart, I documented each bolt's location and labeled them, I also took partial disassembly pictures to help when reassembling. This was important several times and I recommend you do the same.

·
6,436 Posts
Hi all! On Monday, I will install Vivas FMIC kit and I'm anxious to see the difference. Can anyone give me good tips and suggestions for the installation.!? So how long does this job take for a Volvo Mechanic!?:cool:

Grateful for the response

//Tristan
look up my review on viva's website (the one with the link) - it should take you no longer than 10 hours..but you could be done in 6

·
6,436 Posts
I installed my ViVA FMIC about two weeks ago, all told it took about 12 hours, but I was working alone and slowly.

Remove bumper
Elevate the front end at least 2 feet not needed
Remove both headlightsdef not needed

Remove the front crash bar (bumper support)not needed

Reassemble the cooling pack, getting the radiator and A/C as close as you can without them touching
Remount the crash bar
Mount the ViVA FMIC using carriage bolts that you buy from your Swedish hardware storenot needed - VIVA fmic kit comes with all the hardware you need

Install the pipeworks
With all the connections double and triple checked, turn the car on. If it works, remount the bumper and take it for a test drive.
I recommend keeping a full set of tools in the car for a few thousand miles to make roadside repairs if a clamp fails or something breaks.

The hardest part for me was the piping, figuring out the angles. For two important junctions I used the volvo OEM clamps because they are smaller and easier to work with that the T-bar clamps in the kit. These two are the clamps that are inline with the cooling pack. I also snapped the t-bolt tightening the throttle connection and replaced it with a monster spring-loaded t-bolt from the internet. I recently took a bunch of pictures, they will help you because the ViVA pictures are lame. I'll get them off my camera later today.

When I took things apart, I documented each bolt's location and labeled them, I also took partial disassembly pictures to help when reassembling. This was important several times and I recommend you do the same.
my replies in red

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Remove bumper
Elevate the front end at least 2 feet
Remove both headlights
Remove the front crash bar (bumper support)
Remount the crash bar
Mount the ViVA FMIC using carriage bolts that you buy from your Swedish hardware store
Install the pipeworks

A big Thx for that, n23!!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
my replies in red
Removing the passenger side headlight makes it easy to see and manipulate the tubing on that side. Not necessary but helpful. Same goes for elevating the car. Removing the crash bar means you can very easily seperate cooling sandwich. You can say it's not necessary, but it makes it much much easier.

Your remark about the kit containing everything is also 100% incorrect, my kit came with (1) carriage bolt that was used in the event that the metal screws didn't work out, which is exactly what happened to me. I had to bike to HD to buy 3 more and a backup.

Also, anyone that whines about how "unsafe" the ViVA design is because it's touching the starter didn't take their time and work at it long enough. I have mine installed completely not touching the starter, I just had to angle the pieces correctly.

·
6,436 Posts
Removing the passenger side headlight makes it easy to see and manipulate the tubing on that side. Not necessary but helpful. Same goes for elevating the car. Removing the crash bar means you can very easily seperate cooling sandwich. You can say it's not necessary, but it makes it much much easier.

Your remark about the kit containing everything is also 100% incorrect, my kit came with (1) carriage bolt that was used in the event that the metal screws didn't work out, which is exactly what happened to me. I had to bike to HD to buy 3 more and a backup.

Also, anyone that whines about how "unsafe" the ViVA design is because it's touching the starter didn't take their time and work at it long enough. I have mine installed completely not touching the starter, I just had to angle the pieces correctly.
each kit is diffrent but as far as I know every kit comes with bolts and washers etc...I hope George reads this and can confirm. so your statement about me being 100% incorrect is actually 100% incorrect :)

And of cousre the kit does not directly touch the starter, but it's within a quarter of an inch. Any movement can make it touch, thus give you a nice short in the system. It's better to be safe than sorry and wrap that section of pipe with rubber or something similar

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
each kit is diffrent but as far as I know every kit comes with bolts and washers etc...I hope George reads this and can confirm. so your statement about me being 100% incorrect is actually 100% incorrect :)

And of cousre the kit does not directly touch the starter, but it's within a quarter of an inch. Any movement can make it touch, thus give you a nice short in the system. It's better to be safe than sorry and wrap that section of pipe with rubber or something similar
I reread the instructions and they only reference a single bolt, however you really need 4 bolts to do the job right (as I think you're aware with 2 screws at first). It seems like a silly misstep for the kit to not include all 4.

Mine's not touching and I wrapped it in electrical tape anyway. I think we both agree that should be in the instructions too. I would have agreed with your 'use the throttle tube' idea but the bend on it is crazy - I can't believe Volvo allowed that much bend and restriction in their throttle pipe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts