SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we built the xc90 inscription online, the walnut trim looked like a darker matte wood. When we went to the dealership to see a car in person, it was a light wood. We definitely preferred the online color. We were told the wood could be changed to the dark flame birch. I know it is personal preference, but, do you think it would be a mistake to change the wood to dark flame birch on a inscription car?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think it's a matter of personal taste. Personally, I love the linear walnut. It really does present well and is definitely very well done - great craftsmanship.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Colors always look different online. For interior beautiful shots, there's a lot of photoshopping involved. As you have said, it all comes down to personal preference. But it also depends on the upholstery. If it is the blonde or amber, I lean towards the walnut. Seeing it in personal, it looks amazing. The blonde looks good with the birch as well, but I think the walnut looks better. Almost of the charcoal interiors I've seen choose the birch. As for us, we went a bit unconventional and ordered a charcoal/walnut combo. It may end up looking hideous and regrettable, but I wasn't exactly blown away when I saw the charcoal/birch in person either. I felt it looked too dark. So we took a chance and went against the grain. Again, it's all a matter of preference.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think the walnut looks the best by far. I love the matte look. I would have gone with the walnut, but it was not an option on the Momentum.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you went with momentum plus, then you can add the walnut as a 400 dollar option

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think if you get the Momentum Plus, the default trim is the birch. But on the price list, there is an asterisk that says: "inlays can be substituted for other décor inlays as no charge option." So I think you can get whatever trim you want. If you don't get the Plus, then the trim is a 400 USD option.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is it rare to choose the aluminium trim in the US? It is very common (not just on XC90, on all cars) to choose that in Europe, but wood inlays seems to be the norm in the US.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the wood trims are a little 'old manish'. I kept the metal mesh in my T8 inscription . Works better with the B&W metal grilles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The matte walnut is definitely a modern look IMHO

·
Registered
87 Posts
When we built the xc90 inscription online, the walnut trim looked like a darker matte wood. When we went to the dealership to see a car in person, it was a light wood. We definitely preferred the online color. We were told the wood could be changed to the dark flame birch. I know it is personal preference, but, do you think it would be a mistake to change the wood to dark flame birch on a inscription car?
Are there any good real world picks of the dark flame birch with the charcoal interior? I faced the same dilemma thinking the linear walnut didn't match with the dark interior based on my looks in person. I was waffling between the aluminum mesh and the birch on my inscription but went with the birch without having the benefit of seeing it in person or any good real world pics...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I choose the dark flame, but only because I want the wooden steering wheel. The walnut is amazing, much more refined than the glossy dark flame, which is old-school IMHO.
The wooden steering wheel requires the darker inlays.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think if you get the Momentum Plus, the default trim is the birch. But on the price list, there is an asterisk that says: "inlays can be substituted for other décor inlays as no charge option." So I think you can get whatever trim you want. If you don't get the Plus, then the trim is a 400 USD option.
I would be interested to know where this information came from as it seems opposite of what I have found in the OSD pricing list and in the online configurator. If a T5 momentum is ordered w/o the Plus package the default trim is the brushed aluminum. If the Plus is ordered the trim changes to Dark Flame Birch. Dark Flame Birch is also a $400 stand alone option as well. If the timing doesn't work out for us as it relates to the 18 XC60 we may go T5 XC90 route. We are stuck on two color combo; Osm Grey with Blonde leather with M+ (but want the brush aluminum inlays and not Dark Flame Birch) or Magic Blue and Amber. I think the wood looks much better with Amber or Black than it does with Blonde. Personal opinion of course. Perhaps the above quote reflects T6 options.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the linear walnut - Aside from the touch-screen Sensus interface, the wood gets more comments than anything else in the car. People realize it's REAL wood and it really adds that high-end look. I like the birch, but the glossy finish just always made me think plastic.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I have the linear walnut - Aside from the touch-screen Sensus interface, the wood gets more comments than anything else in the car. People realize it's REAL wood and it really adds that high-end look. I like the birch, but the glossy finish just always made me think plastic.
Personally, I like the combinations of blonde with linear walnut and amber with dark flame birch. In particular, I love blonde upper and lower upholstery with the linear walnut although I ended up getting amber with birch for practical reasons - my wife felt very strongly that blonde/blonde would just always look dirty.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Dark flame birch looks like ever other manufacturer's inlay. It's so glossy, that the beauty of the wood is hidden behind glare and reflection.

The walnut is absolutely the nicest wood I've ever seen in a vehicle.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm a woodworker and for me the dark flame birch, though it features some nice figure, has the sheen and tactile characteristics of plastic. This is not uncommon in luxury cars, but my feeling has always been that if you are going to coat wood in that much resin, you might as well use plastic or some other material.

The linear walnut is very reminiscent of a lot of Scandinavian modern furniture and both looks and feels like real wood (because it is). Danish modern (and I assume other Scandinavian modern) furniture makers typically coated their pieces with a very durable spray lacquer that had this matte look which makes the wood grain visible and makes the pieces seem more organic than synthetic. I love what they did with the linear walnut in the XC90 and it's the main reason I chose the Inscription trim.

To each their own.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm a woodworker and for me the dark flame birch, though it features some nice figure, has the sheen and tactile characteristics of plastic. This is not uncommon in luxury cars, but my feeling has always been that if you are going to coat wood in that much resin, you might as well use plastic or some other material.

The linear walnut is very reminiscent of a lot of Scandinavian modern furniture and both looks and feels like real wood (because it is). Danish modern (and I assume other Scandinavian modern) furniture makers typically coated their pieces with a very durable spray lacquer that had this matte look which makes the wood grain visible and makes the pieces seem more organic than synthetic. I love what they did with the linear walnut in the XC90 and it's the main reason I chose the Inscription trim.

To each their own.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I choose the dark flame, but only because I want the wooden steering wheel. The walnut is amazing, much more refined than the glossy dark flame, which is old-school IMHO.
The wooden steering wheel requires the darker inlays.
Same here - thought the walnut looked nice, but really disliked the steering wheel. Went with the dark flame just to get the wooden wheel. Still on order, so we shall see in about a month and a half.

But agreed, to each their own!

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Is it rare to choose the aluminium trim in the US? It is very common (not just on XC90, on all cars) to choose that in Europe, but wood inlays seems to be the norm in the US.
I prefer the aluminum trim as does my wife--who will be driving the S90 when we get it. She wants Inscription but I never saw an option to change it to aluminum online.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an Inscription with the charcoal/walnut interior and love the color, matte finish, and the angled veneer strips. Many of us here in the U.S. are used to the darker color of our native Eastern Black Walnut as opposed to the lighter browns of English (or European) walnut used in the XC90. I liked the flame birch but its typical thick, gloss varnish gives the wood a plasticky appearance, IMO.

As you said, it's a personal taste matter. The Linear Walnut is one of the first interior features that friends compliment about our T8's interior.

Good luck with your decision!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts