SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Genesmasher - I can't argue with your take on the sport seats, because frankly that is a personal choice. It might have been a recent issue of C & D that rated those seats as the best in the industry (or something close to that). Lots of people love the sport-seats and I'm not going to tell them they are wrong. I intensely dislike them and did not buy the R design because of the seats. To me, they're not too hard at all (I love firm seats) and the side bolstering is actually comfy. Its the bottoms, where the side bolsters cut into my thighs, that I couldn't live with. I badly wanted to go with the R design because I think the bursting blue is by far and away the most desirable XC60 color (and, yeah, I know that is a personal choice too). Seats were a deal breaker though.

I just spent five days in a loaner inscription (because of that stupid emissions light that comes on every 5,000 miles) with the ventilated seats. I didn't notice a bit of difference in the hardness of the seats. They felt nearly identical to me in overall comfort. And, I don't think either the ventilated or non-ventilated seats "lack sufficient lateral support." With the ventilated seats, the lateral support is adjustable anyway. Either way, I think the seats in the inscription are absurdly comfortable and just the right mix of firmness and comfort. Its the Volvo seats that were the deciding factor for me over the X3 and Q5 (both of which I regard as better vehicles overall, at least in some regards). I honestly can't imagine anybody not liking those seats.

My advice to everybody is always to try and make your own choice.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree :) I can see how someone can have a problem with bottom cushion sides being too tall in R-design and biting into one's thighs (I don't have that problem). But the tall side bolsters of the back cushion is what makes R-design seats appealing to me - that's what I mean by "lateral support". I tend to lean while cornering, and these are much more supportive to me than Inscription seat bolsters. Yes, they are inflatable so you can squeeze yourself in, but they are still not tall enough compared to R-design ones, especially in the upper back area. Also, having driven both vehicles for 2+hrs straight multiple times, my butt gets sore in Inscription, but not in R-design. Could be due to less padding to accommodate the massage/ventilation hardware, but I don't really know for sure. Just reporting my personal experience, YMMV, everybody's body shape is different.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I guess we will have to agree to disagree :) I can see how someone can have a problem with bottom cushion sides being too tall in R-design and biting into one's thighs (I don't have that problem). But the tall side bolsters of the back cushion is what makes R-design seats appealing to me - that's what I mean by "lateral support". I tend to lean while cornering, and these are much more supportive to me than Inscription seat bolsters. Yes, they are inflatable so you can squeeze yourself in, but they are still not tall enough compared to R-design ones, especially in the upper back area. Also, having driven both vehicles for 2+hrs straight multiple times, my butt gets sore in Inscription, but not in R-design. Could be due to less padding to accommodate the massage/ventilation hardware, but I don't really know for sure. Just reporting my personal experience, YMMV, everybody's body shape is different.
We don't truly disagree in that I believe all your points are accurate and I think your logic makes a ton of sense.

One observation is that basically every car forum has at least one or two threads with folk complaining about uncomfortable seats. I've never seen that thread on this forum. I think that's telling.

Volvo seats are the bomb.

·
Registered
592 Posts
We don't truly disagree in that I believe all your points are accurate and I think your logic makes a ton of sense.

One observation is that basically every car forum has at least one or two threads with folk complaining about uncomfortable seats. I've never seen that thread on this forum. I think that's telling.

Volvo seats are the bomb.
+1 on that. Many different opinions and many different people. At the end of the day seats were never an issue in terms of evaluating our cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Being that this is my first one, (XC-60), and I was going for luxury and ride comfort, not sportiness, I opted for an Inscription. I also wanted more choices of colors, and the woodgrain trim, etc.

I may go for an S60 next time, as I may not need an SUV in 3 years, and I will revisit this decision then. It might very well be an R-design then, now that I know that the seats aren't worlds apart.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Neither. Momentum for us. My wife has been driving XC60s since 2010. She is not a fan of too much bling and she prefers the blond interior. While I do like the R-Design seats, the black interior and black headliner makes one feel like you are in a cave. The other reason for choosing Momentum was the 18" wheels. The ride is significantly better than Inscription with the 19" wheels, plus tires are cheaper at replacement time. She loves her XC60 and I enjoy driving it as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Neither. Momentum for us. My wife has been driving XC60s since 2010. She is not a fan of too much bling and she prefers the blond interior. While I do like the R-Design seats, the black interior and black headliner makes one feel like you are in a cave. The other reason for choosing Momentum was the 18" wheels. The ride is significantly better than Inscription with the 19" wheels, plus tires are cheaper at replacement time. She loves her XC60 and I enjoy driving it as well.
BTW R-design is now available with Slate Grey leather, which is a bit lighter than Charcoal. I do agree that it would be great to be able to spec R-design with a lighter interior (Blond or Amber), but Volvo is probably never gonna offer it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Currently own an 2019 S60 R-Design T6 Polestar. Thinking of picking up an XC60 t5 for a family member. I see the Momentum being an entry level trim but R-deisgn being in line with the Insciption (price wise). Please share why you chose either R-design or Insciption trim for your car.

Thank you in advance.

I have both, 2018 XC60 R OSD Bursting Blue, and 2020 XC90 T8 Inscription Thunder Gray, Slate Leather Seats, (Ordered OSD but didn't make the trip), I chose the R, due to the bursting Blue color and styling (would prefer the black window trim), chose the Inscription, due to the gear sifter.... maybe lame but that is classy! Paddle sifter is nice nut never used, both are plenty fast, considered polestar on both, but not practical for us. Daughter drives the XC60, Wife drives the XC90, seats in both are fine no issues with either. Love the HUD and Auto Pilot.

·
Registered
632 Posts
BTW R-design is now available with Slate Grey leather, which is a bit lighter than Charcoal. I do agree that it would be great to be able to spec R-design with a lighter interior (Blond or Amber), but Volvo is probably never gonna offer it.
I've seen that color online. Looks super nice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Volvo offers an R-Design spec Blonde interior on the XC90. My presumption is that it will be offered on the XC60 soon. I personally dislike how the Slate interior looked, and don’t mind how dark the Charcoal is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2017 XC90 Passion Red T8 R design. I love the handling and I don’t know if aLL R designs have the off-road option but mine is Awesome ! I love this car. I do wish it had less wind noise. As to the vented seats, I did not like the added noise they made, and like the look of my car better than the others. It handles nice and tight.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Volvo offers an R-Design spec Blonde interior on the XC90. My presumption is that it will be offered on the XC60 soon. I personally dislike how the Slate interior looked, and don’t mind how dark the Charcoal is.
I wouldn't necessarily presume that options available on 90-series will translate to 60-series. Back in 2016 (I think) S90 R-design was briefly offered with contour seats in Amber. I really liked it and even remember investigating how much it would cost me to replace the leather in my SPA S60 R-design. I think it came to about $2000 plus labor, assuming the hardware (shape of the seat itself and foam) is the same.

Slate is a tricky color. Of all exterior color options offered on S60 R-design, it works well only with Denim and Bursting Blue, IMHO. Beige tones (Birch and Pebble) and Fusion Red clash with it, whereas White, Osmium and Black look too washed out with grey interior. I think Slate would would look great with Lime wood trim (instead of mesh metal), but of course it's not an option on R-design... Charcoal Napa leather in R-design works well with all exterior colors, but it does make interior pretty dark. Blond leather looks stunning when brand new, but is rather impractical for most people and starts showing creases quickly, especially on the tall side bolsters of R-design seats. City Weave fabric is a genius option and should be offered across all trims, not just Momentum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all - i am seriously looking at a 2021 XC60 and will be test driving one this weekend. I had been pretty set on an R-design T6 as it seemed the "sportier" option especially with the paddle shifters, as well as the T6 for the added "oomph" to the base engine.

Late last night I was surprised to read that the 2021 R-design lost the paddle shifters. Is this confirmed? I thought I read on the volvo site that it still had them. Without the paddle shifters (and reading some of the reviews that the ride handling of the R-design is not that much different than the regular version)...I may just opt for an Inscription instead.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi all - i am seriously looking at a 2021 XC60 and will be test driving one this weekend. I had been pretty set on an R-design T6 as it seemed the "sportier" option especially with the paddle shifters, as well as the T6 for the added "oomph" to the base engine.

Late last night I was surprised to read that the 2021 R-design lost the paddle shifters. Is this confirmed? I thought I read on the volvo site that it still had them. Without the paddle shifters (and reading some of the reviews that the ride handling of the R-design is not that much different than the regular version)...I may just opt for an Inscription instead.
I have paddle shifters in my Audi Q5, and I have probably used them 5 times in the last year. If I want a little more power I just knock the shifter into sport mode. I am close to buying a 2021 XC60 Inscription and paddle shifters are no longer a requirement - at least for me. The XC60 doesn't have as good a ride as the Q5 but the seat comfort (a major concern for me) is much better in the Volvo.

·
Registered
253 Posts
+1 here! I previously had a 2015.5 XC60 R-Design & rarely used the paddle shifters. Just switch the trans to sport mode for additional involvement in the driving process. Paddle shifters are nice but certainly not a necessity for spirited driving.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have paddle shifters in my Audi Q5, and I have probably used them 5 times in the last year. If I want a little more power I just knock the shifter into sport mode. I am close to buying a 2021 XC60 Inscription and paddle shifters are no longer a requirement - at least for me. The XC60 doesn't have as good a ride as the Q5 but the seat comfort (a major concern for me) is much better in the Volvo.
Agree 100% on all points. Paddle shifters (had them in last vehicle) are not real useful. Q5 has a nicer ride (and better handling) than volvo. Volvo seats are second to none.

·
Registered
228 Posts
R-Design for the seats, black leather and aluminum interior trim.
We carefully weighed all the other leather color options and didn't really like any of them, then we sat in an R-Design and it was a slam dunk, easy choice.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts