SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently own an 2019 S60 R-Design T6 Polestar. Thinking of picking up an XC60 t5 for a family member. I see the Momentum being an entry level trim but R-deisgn being in line with the Insciption (price wise). Please share why you chose either R-design or Insciption trim for your car.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Currently own an 2019 S60 R-Design T6 Polestar. Thinking of picking up an XC60 t5 for a family member. I see the Momentum being an entry level trim but R-deisgn being in line with the Insciption (price wise). Please share why you chose either R-design or Insciption trim for your car.

Thank you in advance.
We chose the Inscription. The R Design is only available with dark interiors upholstery - no desire to ever go there again. It also isn't available with the wood inlay. You know, if they offered lighter colored upholstery and I had been looking for a sports car I might have gone with it, but I don't see the XC60 as a sports car so the excessive bolstering on the seats is wasted on me regardless of the color.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, so the R-design Xc60 seats are very similar in bolstering to my s60 R-design and the Inscription seats are a bit flatter?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I see, so the R-design Xc60 seats are very similar in bolstering to my s60 R-design and the Inscription seats are a bit flatter?
I can't say how similar they are to your S60's seats but the Inscription's are somewhat flatter, though not as flat as our V70's were. But, as I said, I don't see the XC60 in the sport car role so equipping it as it if it were is an odd choice (unless you just prefer that type of seating in general in which case you probably didn't need to ask.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with the Inscription.

It came down to me preferring the seats in the Inscription. In particular I really wanted ventilated seats which aren’t available in the R-Design and I really liked the Amber colour as well.

The Inscription also has the massaging seat feature as well if that’s something that appeals to you.

I test drove both and I can confirm neither feel particularly sporty. In the end I traded a little bit of extra “sportiness” for the sweet comfort of ventilated seats and a colour that really appealed to me.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Color is important to me. R-Design has very limited seat color though Bursting Blue is my favorite.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
594 Posts
R-Design here.
Inscription or R-Design, is up to the driver/owner.
There's really no comparison between the two, other than looks and personal preference, at least to me.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
R-Design here.
Inscription or R-Design, is up to the driver/owner.
There's really no comparison between the two, other than looks and personal preference, at least to me.
I absolutely love my new bursting blue R design sports chassis XC40. But if I get a second car I would like to get an XC 60 or a V 60 Inscription with the wood inlay, leather dash, air suspension, massaging ventilated seats in Amber.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a 2018 Momentum with blonde interior and got tired of how soft the handling was. Traded in for a 2020 R-Design. I chose it over an Inscription because of the chassis, black accents, and bolstered seats. I wish they offered XC90 R design blonde/black interior on the XC60 - would have chose that over the Charcoal.

XC60’s come standard with the Sport Chassis, while the Inscription has the same Dynamic chassis as the Momentum. I had actually planned to trade in for an S60 because I loved the way a loaner (S60 T5 R Design w/ P*) handled, but couldn’t give up the cargo space/AWD. Hoping to add P* to my car soon, but just can’t wrap my head around the cost.

The Inscription has the advantage of offering ventilated seats, which unfortunately isn’t an option on the R-design. One feature I wish I had here in Texas.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I chose the Inscription because the R-Design seats only came in Nubuck/Alcantara. I prefer leather. Also, exterior color choice (no choice for interior) is limited in the R-Design. I had a 2015.5 R-Design & loved the sport seats (they offered leather that year). It took a while but I am now happy with the Inscription seats. The (optional) ventilated seats are nice. The massage feature is overrated in my opinion. Either choice is great but the R-Design seats do feel narrower because of the large bolsters.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had a 2018 Momentum with blonde interior and got tired of how soft the handling was. Traded in for a 2020 R-Design. I chose it over an Inscription because of the chassis, black accents, and bolstered seats. I wish they offered XC90 R design blonde/black interior on the XC60 - would have chose that over the Charcoal.

XC60’s come standard with the Sport Chassis, while the Inscription has the same Dynamic chassis as the Momentum. I had actually planned to trade in for an S60 because I loved the way a loaner (S60 T5 R Design w/ P*) handled, but couldn’t give up the cargo space/AWD. Hoping to add P* to my car soon, but just can’t wrap my head around the cost.

The Inscription has the advantage of offering ventilated seats, which unfortunately isn’t an option on the R-design. One feature I wish I had here in Texas.
that Polestar sticker is worth the cost ;p
I don't have it either but there have been some considerable discounts (10-45%) around holiday seasons. Maybe next year.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have the polestar tune added to my XC40. Does that mean I have a sticker of some sort coming?

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I went R-Design for a rare Bursting Blue T8. Black seats are ok with me, I tend to get dirty at times. When it’s hot I just remote stare or pre-condition it to cool it down ahead of driving.

Personally I loved the idea of ventilated seats, but when I test drive an Inscription T8 I found the fan was way too noisy for my liking when running on battery.

I liked the idea of having paddle shifter too. I don’t use them as often as I manually shifted in my last XC60.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Never test drove a R design..just sat in them....and preferred the ventilated/massage seats of the Inscription......Would have loved a bursting blue. but the seats won over colour.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have the polestar tune added to my XC40. Does that mean I have a sticker of some sort coming?

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Nora,
No, I was jokingly referring to this

·
Registered
795 Posts
R-design seat contouring is the best IMHO, Inscription seats are definitely less supportive on the sides and massaging hardware inside the cushions makes them too firm for long trips. I drive 2018 Inscription only because that year leather seats were not offered on R-design (suede only, which I don't like). Ventilation feature is nice, but I almost never use massage. If I had to replace the car right now, I would go with a Bursting Blue R-design / grey Napa contour seats combo.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a V90 (non cc) R design in bursting blue. While it's a different car I thing the differences between trims are similar.

I loved the concept of the ventilated seats but when I tried them the fans were noisy and when I realized they were recirculation cabin air not direct AC air I was less excited. If your are 'big boned' then the R design seats may be tight (width wise). The upside is they do feels more sporty with more side support.

This may sound strange but at first they felt a bit hard for me but I think they have actually worn in a little and softened up over time and I love them. My car is full napa leather (black the only option) and it looks very classy with the contrasting stitching. I've driven 10 hours at a time to Florida with no problems with these seats.

Also the Inscription is too 'blingy' for me and in a strange way the R design is more sophisticated. My kids say the Inscription is more 'old man' and approve of the R design. My wife calls some of the lighter Volvo leathers 'old mans shoes'! So the R design is probably as sexy as a Volvo can be. The Polestar badge helps also.

Additionally the R design is suspension is tighter (not sure if the XC60 is similar)

Overall I love my R design and for me it was the right choice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
R-Design. I love the ride stiffness, seats, exterior design elements and paddle shifters. I use the shifters extensively when there's snow up to the knee or when using the Performance mode - it's much easier to downshift when the RPM is >4000 and not going down, so the car sounds like a rocket about to launch.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I loved the concept of the ventilated seats but when I tried them the fans were noisy and when I realized they were recirculation cabin air not direct AC air I was less excited. If your are 'big boned' then the R design seats may be tight (width wise). The upside is they do feels more sporty with more side support.

Also the Inscription is too 'blingy' for me and in a strange way the R design is more sophisticated. My kids say the Inscription is more 'old man' and approve of the R design. My wife calls some of the lighter Volvo leathers 'old mans shoes'! So the R design is probably as sexy as a Volvo can be. The Polestar badge helps also.
Well said lamhives. The noise of the fans for the ventilated seats in a T8 was a detractor for me. Running extra fans and motors for the massaging mechanism must also consume extra electricity from the T8’s battery.

I don’t love lots of chrome on my cars. The chrome stripe on the sides Inscriptions is too much for me to own. I don’t mind it as much on a other people’s cars.

I’m glad Bursting Blue is exclusively for R-Designs. I think it would look tacky against all those chrome bits.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Never test drove a R design..just sat in them....and preferred the ventilated/massage seats of the Inscription......Would have loved a bursting blue. but the seats won over colour.
The inscription doesn't come standard with those seats. In fact, that package is not on many dealer lots.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts