SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I understand, they changed "momentum" to "inscription expression" for recharge T8? Anybody knows the thinking behind it? It does not really make sense.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I personally wouldn't put too much thought into it. A rose by any other name still smells the same/as sweet..

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ya, I don't think it means much. It's probably a combination of things.
1 - A lot of the premium add-ons are now standard options
2 - People associate a high trim with the "inscription" name and so probably also just some marketing

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It's a pretty logical move. Before you had the "budget" Momentum T8, and you had a notable price increase for the R-Design and Inscription T8. There is a lot of demand for "sporty" SUVs, and Volvo is trying to shift people to hybrid models in a big way. So they lowered the price to get into the R-Design, and subsequently the Inscription as well. Plus it streamlines manufacturing. Now there are two trim levels, sport or luxury. Think of it as a "Momentum-spec" R-Design or "Momentum-spec" Inscription....entry-level and fully loaded versions of trim designs. It's kind of a mouthful to say and maybe not the best implementation, but it's easy to see they wanted to get buyers into the T8 at a lower price, and they are offering that now. Now you pick your look...sport or luxury? Then you choose your content level....value-orriented version (Expression) or the fully-loaded versions.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This discussion is just for fun, which may not be interesting for everybody. So please ignore the thread if not interested.

Trim levels have been very logical for VOLVO: basic momentum - sportive R-design - luxury inscription. Thus, inscription means luxury for everyone. So what's wrong with keeping it as it is, rather than adding another name (expression) to inscription to take it back to momentum level. I really don't get it. T8 Momentum gets buyers into the T8 at a lower price anyway.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Its so you can say you own an Inscription but were really too poor to afford a real Inscription.

I'm sure Momentums were getting destroyed in the residuals so this is an attempt to prop up the stripper model.

It is going to make it difficult for the discerning used buyer to find a proper Inscription because unscrupulous dealers will just call these Inscriptions.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm sure there is some research to the entire marketing side that shows this is effective. It's easy to understand they want simply 2 lines.....sport or luxury. And now there is a standard version and fully loaded version. Probably should have done this from the start anyways. It will be easy to tell them apart as used cars as there are obvious physical differences you can see. I really think the main goal behind this was to lower the price for R Design cars (which is hilarious as they have stripped EVERY "R" marking from the car and the word "R-Design" only appears on the window sticker and your purchase agreement. That part I still can not figure out.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Not sure if it plays any role, but I always thought "momentum" was a weird label. But then again, how do you convey "cheap" without conveying... "cheap"?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts