SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking about purchasing as a project. I have previously owned a 1995 850 so I'm familiar with replacing PCV components, timing belt, exhaust...the usual routine. So the mechanical work doesn't bother me.

Specs:
Mileage: unknown (battery out of car-will check today)
Body: EXCELLENT SHAPE, zero (yes zero) door dings, straight, Driver's side door safety catch needs to be replaced. (I had my 850 welded and repaired.)
Paint: very good
Interior: Good, some weathering of leather in front seats, no holes. Not bad at all.
Engine ("56" VIN engine): "Bad". I know, not enough information. Could be anything. The car is in a used car lot with the prospect of being scrapped. I happened to see it and stop to look at it, it's cosmetically much too nice to scrap even if you have to replace/rebuild the engine. Price: ~$800. Seems very reasonable and not too much risk. Not familiar with the "56" engine (2.4 LPT), good/bad/steer clear? The car seems to have been well cared for up until about 3 years ago (1 owner -Carfax), then changed hands twice. This group's input on the decision would be greatly appreciated, thx.

Trying to save another Volvo...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Clean bodies are always nice to have.
V70's (90-00) have great lines and maintain a fast and modern look regardless of the all the trendy new vehicle shapes around them.
$800 isn't a huge risk, but your labor may be the big investment here.
V70 is very similar to the 850's but very "computerized" in 99 on. Other members will have to share on this one.
Looks sharp!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
give them 500 for it tops! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always liked the body style 855/V70. Since it's a project car I thought that I could just work on it a little bit at a time. I did not get a chance to go by a check on the mileage yesterday. The big question is the engine. What are the "typical" failures for this engine? The I-5 of volvo engines are typically bulletproof... Any suggestions for "good" vendors that sell used engines? I had a headgasket leak/blow on my 850 but it still ran. Turbo issues to look for? Are the Persus wheels an option on this model year? Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
16,965 Posts
Milage is what really matters .

Motors from 99-08 will work with minor modifications

1 - 5 of 5 Posts