SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After living with anti-skid and brake assist error messages for over two years I decided to take a stab at fixing it.
A buddy of mine scanned my car and everything pointed at a faulty sensor inside the brake booster. BCM-0139. The booster itself is fine, no hissing or anything...just a stupid error message.
I picked-up a used but in a great condition unit from eBay. I will tackle the replacement myself.

I've got a few questions:
1. Can someone please provide diagrams from Vida on step-by-step procedures on how to replace one?
2. Has anyone done it? How long does it take? I'm not worried about difficulty...after replacing my clutch I feel like I can tackle anything!
3. Should I purchase any parts for this swap? Such as a gasket that goes between the booster and the firewall?
4. Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks all in advance.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Also did you try replacing the BCM first?

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.

And no, I have not tried replacing the BCM. Honestly not even sure where it is. Got any info?

I'm relying on the readout from Vida, but it BCM may be worth looking into. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Its the black rectangular box mounted to the bottom of the abs pump. Similar to the ABS module on the earlier cars

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Thank you.

And no, I have not tried replacing the BCM. Honestly not even sure where it is. Got any info?

I'm relying on the readout from Vida, but it BCM may be worth looking into. Thanks!
BCM is on top of the ABS module. It's the ABS module. BCM seems likely. Are your brake sensor read outs the same... They should both be the same when the pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I had same code, replaced brake booster, same thing. Put in another BCM, didn't work as these must be programmed to the car. With time, additional codes started popping up. Sent BCM to BBA reman after buying ebbay service listing for around $190. A year later, still no issues. Before you replace the brake booster, do the BCM repair first.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had same code, replaced brake booster, same thing. Put in another BCM, didn't work as these must be programmed to the car. With time, additional codes started popping up. Sent BCM to BBA reman after buying ebbay service listing for around $190. A year later, still no issues. Before you replace the brake booster, do the BCM repair first.
Can you elaborate ? Sent the BCM where? You sent the original one you took out of ylur car or the one from ebay?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Can you elaborate ? Sent the BCM where? You sent the original one you took out of ylur car or the one from ebay?
Has to be the one from your car because it is car specific. Xemodex also remanufactures them.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My original BCM was repaired, not the replacement one. BBA Reman have a listing for repair service. IIRC, it's $189 that includes return shipping. The instructions are all in the listing. It was much more $ on their website for part number on my BCM, so I had it done via ebbay. Just make sure that listing for repair states the part number on your BCM. Xemodex repairs these too but charge a lot more. You do get lifetime warranty with BBA reman.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The brake pedal position sensor is indeed on the brake booster and is available separately. Its very easy to change out. You need a small pick to move the clip out and the old sensor simply pulls out. I would recommend replacing the oring seal if one is not included. No need to replace the whole booster if your fault is the position sensor.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The brake pedal position sensor is indeed on the brake booster and is available separately. Its very easy to change out. You need a small pick to move the clip out and the old sensor simply pulls out. I would recommend replacing the oring seal if one is not included. No need to replace the whole booster if your fault is the position sensor.
Hey man you were right on the money with this one. After replacing the sensor, the problem went away! I can't believe It took me 2 years to figure this problem out..lol. Good thing I did not replace my booster

1 - 12 of 12 Posts