SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not a joke. Can fool the onboard computer to increase boost. At this price I would be hesitant that it actually works.

Check out the neuspeed power module for vw's as an example of something that works.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
It's not a joke, but it works by modifying signals to the engine control module to trick it into producing more boost.

Not the right way to do things, but you get what you pay for when they actually work.

I wouldn't buy one without any reviews or a good return policy.

Also, expect more seat-of-the-pants improvements than measurable ones.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It's not a joke, but it works by modifying signals to the engine control module to trick it into producing more boost.

Not the right way to do things, but you get what you pay for when they actually work.

I wouldn't buy one without any reviews or a good return policy.

Also, expect more seat-of-the-pants improvements than measurable ones.
Dyno tested one of these type things on a Mini a couple years back. Owner "SWORE" the car was so much faster with it. It was like +13 ft/lbs of tq at a low RPM, but then the ECU figured out what was going on as the revs climbed and it lost about 10hp.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It says:

by safely optimizing your air/fuel ratio

How would that affect boost?

I bet if I asked:

Will this work with my 2011 S60L T74?

They would reply:

Yes, we have a performance chip in stock that's fully compatible with your 2011 Volvo S60L T74! We proudly stand behind everything we sell
with our 100% Money-Back Guarantee and guarantee that our performance chips will improve your vehicle's performance and fuel mileage,
typically by up to +35 horsepower and up to +5 MPG! If you have any other questions, then please feel welcome to contact our Customer Loyalty team.

Anyone want to take that bet :)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
No sir, lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It says:

I bet if I asked:

Will this work with my 2011 S60L T74?

They would reply:

Yes, we have a performance chip in stock that's fully compatible with your 2011 Volvo S60L T74! We proudly stand behind everything we sell
with our 100% Money-Back Guarantee and guarantee that our performance chips will improve your vehicle's performance and fuel mileage,
typically by up to +35 horsepower and up to +5 MPG! If you have any other questions, then please feel welcome to contact our Customer Loyalty team.

Anyone want to take that bet :)
lol NO.. That's a hustle right there :p

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
It says:

Short Answer: How much air you're getting from the intake affects how much boost the engine tries to make.

This "chip" sends lies, filthy lies, to the ECM making it think the engine is getting more air than it actually is.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Short Answer: How much air you're getting from the intake affects how much boost the engine tries to make.

This "chip" sends lies, filthy lies, to the ECM making it think the engine is getting more air than it actually is.
So will the ECU eventually correct the behavior? Or will the lies just allow it to increase boost..

I could see this just keeping the car in overboost all the time? What do you think it does by telling these lies, hp/Tq wise..

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
So will the ECU eventually correct the behavior? Or will the lies just allow it to increase boost..

I could see this just keeping the car in overboost all the time? What do you think it does by telling these lies, hp/Tq wise..
I'm going off the top of my head here, so take this with a grain of salt.

Once the air reaches the MAP and Oxygen sensors, the ECU should pick up on the fact that things aren't adding up and it can then adapt within the same tolerances it would have for MAF inaccuracy.

Let's just assume it doesn't adapt perfectly and that he box of lies somehow really tricks the ECU into thinking it has more air mass to work with.

The ECU will still limit maximum boost pressure to where it wants it to be, but timing may be advanced since less fuel is needed with a higher air density and boost may build more quickly as a result.

It's hard to guess at what kind of gains would be possible if the system didn't adapt. You're basically going to run a little richer or leaner depending on how the system fails to adapt. Running richer usually means running cooler, but you're also using hotter air than the engine expects so these factors may cancel each other out. Running leaner means increased change of detonation / ping / the vehicle exploding and killing and entire schoolbus of children. My best guess is that you wouldn't see any real performance gains. Best case scenario, the torque curve might be slightly altered and the car might feel faster as a result, but the total area under the curve would likely remain the same or shrink. Just a guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts