SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, today while changing my outer tie rod (driver side), I noticed the inner just dropped toward the ground. Aren't they supposed to be able to hold up right or at least have little give at most?

·
Registered
908 Posts
well ….sort of...if its really floppy, then its loose. Was tie rod on it? It should almost hold itself up if not...or slowly drop.

·
Registered
908 Posts
It needed an outer all ready? Man, these things don't hold up like the old Volvos do they? I just put outers on my 2002 ...will 530K Klms on it! F*&%N ford....

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
That doesn't mean it's loose. With the new outer on and connected, put the wheel back on and shake it like you would when checking the outer. Look for play in the inner.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Will do the tire shake test tomorrow morning. The driver side inner just falls if I try to hold it up and release. As long as there is no outer inner play, it's fine?

That doesn't mean it's loose. With the new outer on and commented, put the wheel back on and shake it like you would when checking the outer. Look for play in the inner.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It needed an outer all ready? Man, these things don't hold up like the old Volvos do they? I just put outers on my 2002 ...will 530K Klms on it! F*&%N ford....
The outer looked fine, but one has a lot of play in it and I am thinking I am getting a low speed clunk from the outer link. I did not have a 21mm box wrench on me tonight when I was replacing one side at the auto store. Total pita. I didn't see that there was an Allen key hole on the top of the outer tie rod stud. Hence I couldn't use my 21mm socket.my steering also started to get a little stiffer. Last time I replaced my routers, the steering was very smooth on my older xc60.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Yep, as long as theres no play then its fine.

But if you're doing it yourself and paying for an alignment and want to do it now, now is the time.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tech, There is no inner to outer play, but since the shaft is "loose" and does not hold itself up, will that introduce any characteristics such as shake or wobble in the steering under speed?

But if you're doing it yourself and paying for an alignment and want to do it now, now is the time.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing ever comes easy. How about this, FCP sent me a faulty tie rod end. Grease was all over on the inside of the packaging and was leaking from under the boot. I've got a 2000 mile trip next week and better hope the replacement arrives by tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Thanks Tech, There is no inner to outer play, but since the shaft is "loose" and does not hold itself up, will that introduce any characteristics such as shake or wobble in the steering under speed?

Nope. That all comes from play in the joint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts