SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question,

ecu is going out this week for a tune from lucky. I am going a bit more on the aggressive side, with hopes of 315-320 AWHP and 330-340AWTQ. Lucky will be turning up the boost and advancing timing more than his regular carbon tune, so I want to be sure to set my start and max points at the correct times,I was thinking 6 or 7 psi for the water meth, and for it to max out at 20psi. But what size injector should I be using? I currently am running an injector capable of 333cc/m, but i was thinking maybe I need to step this up to 400cc/m in order to keep up with the tune. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ha! Good luck buddy. 320AWHP with the stock turbo? Good luck. Make sure you post up the dyno charts when you achieve it, lolol.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha! Good luck buddy. 320AWHP with the stock turbo? Good luck. Make sure you post up the dyno charts when you achieve it, lolol.

Thanks.....dont see why not http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?81671,

and considering with the same mods, and not including my exhaust cutout i dynoed 281whp and 291 wtq, I am seeing it as possible. Thanks for the motivation thought!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think in november when my car gets dynoed plus the cutout I think i can be right up there, but we will see and I will post back in november! Its always good to set a goal, whether i achieve it or not is a different story!

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Nice dude I think it can be done. I'm going for 380 to 400 at the wheels myself for the spring stocking up on parts this winter.:D Already got a new turbo at home.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn thats amazing! I have been looking at turbos lately, Hopefully going to get a new one next summer, couldnt this summer due to all the repairs I had to do on my car, it was absurd. But everything is working now. What turbo did you go with ?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
quick question,

ecu is going out this week for a tune from lucky. I am going a bit more on the aggressive side, with hopes of 315-320 AWHP and 330-340AWTQ. Lucky will be turning up the boost and advancing timing more than his regular carbon tune, so I want to be sure to set my start and max points at the correct times,I was thinking 6 or 7 psi for the water meth, and for it to max out at 20psi. But what size injector should I be using? I currently am running an injector capable of 333cc/m, but i was thinking maybe I need to step this up to 400cc/m in order to keep up with the tune. Any thoughts?
I got shaking by having my meth come on at 7 psi on friday and fixed the problem by having it come on at 12 and max out at 18. Your engine would not start seeing detonation untill high RPMS anyway so your call. BTW I'm running a 5 GPH (315ml/min) at this point but will change it out for a bigger one with the stage 3 tune and turbo.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The answer to your question is in the forum stickies. Look for the ones labelled fuel injector. There are charts and calculators to help you figure out what flow you require.

From what I remember, the stock injectors are good to around 425 hp, which is beyond what most people will get with bolt-ons. But don't listen to me, go read the experts' posts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The answer to your question is in the forum stickies. Look for the ones labelled fuel injector. There are charts and calculators to help you figure out what flow you require.

From what I remember, the stock injectors are good to around 425 hp, which is beyond what most people will get with bolt-ons. But don't listen to me, go read the experts' posts.

gracias senor

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Were we talking about fuel or methanol? I'm confused lol.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Were we talking about fuel or methanol? I'm confused lol.
yes we are ! I got really excited when i saw the post and then checked out the stickies and saw that I misread the post. So yes still talking about methanol

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
quick question,

There is a nozzle size selector calculator available on the Devil's Own website here: http://www.devilsowninjection.com/en/nozzle-selector.php

You have to put in engine displacement, max boost and max RPM.

It will tell you the size of nozzle that you need in Gallons-per-Hour (GPH) ( 63cc/min is equal to 1 gph).

Keep in mind that most, if not all, nozzles are rated for a given flow at 100 psi pump pressure and many water/meth systems have pumps that put out much higher pressure (200+ psi). The higher pump pressure will cause a higher rate of flow, so you'll have to multiply the rated flow by the square root of the ratio of the pump pressure to the rated pressure.

In other words, with a rated pressure of 100 psi, if your pump puts out 200 psi then you have to multiply the rated flow by the square root of (200/100) = 1.44.

I would try contacting AEM to ask them what pressure their nozzles are rated at.

FYI, you can test this out with your system by placing the nozzle in a bucket and energizing the pump directly from the battery (simulating what happens when the controller tells the pump to put out max flow). Run it like that at max flow for one minute and then measure how much fluid was pumped. This won't be 100% accurate, due to the fact that it will be injecting into atmospheric pressure rather than into the boosted higher pressure in the charge pipe, but it will give you a good idea of just how much the nozzle is actually flowing.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Thanks for all the great info.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Devil's Own is a great calculator. I used it to size my nozzle for the 2JZ.
For your setup, assuming a 7000rpm max RPM and a 25psi max boost, you would want a 475cc (call it 500cc) nozzle.

I don't think 2005 R was trying to be rude. Trying to make 320awhp is quite a task for our small turbo. It is already at the peak of its efficiency range on a stock tune. While you could possibly write a tune to achieve 25psi, there is no way that turbo is going to hold 25psi into the upper RPM range, so your torque numbers might improve, but the HP goal is harder to hit. Even doing so, you are pushing the turbo into dangerous territory and you will be creating a LOT of heat, so make sure you have good intercooling and detonation prevention in place.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If im not mistaken, I read somewhere that you can adjust the psi on the AEM pump, how is this done?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
If im not mistaken, I read somewhere that you can adjust the psi on the AEM pump, how is this done?
My devils own has a allen screw on top turn right to up or left to turn down the pressure. Mine is at 200psi I might turn it up not sure yet thow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts