SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got around to installing them today. Mind you, the only other mod I have is the Blue Evolve engine mount. I haven't had a chance to push the car all that hard, as I spent most of the day running errands with the SO and I just got brand new Pirelli Neros put on as well. Also, I just got an alignment which was sorely needed and had all the bolts tightened like JRL suggested. The car definitely feels better but I'm not all too sure how much of that is attributed to the new tires, the alignment, the bolt-tightening, or the QBM strut bar mounts.

What I can say for certain is that there is increased engine vibration. Now before everyone freaks out, let me qualify that statement.

It's hard to describe because before when I started up the car, the vibration used to be pretty harsh and on shut down there was the infamous "death rattle". Now, the start up vibration and shut down "death rattle" are better damped and during idle, there isn't that much added vibration. Again I'm not sure if this may be due to the bolt tightening or a compound effect. Where there definitely is more vibration is during 1st gear or reverse engagement and not giving it enough gas. I can't just let off the clutch really slowly to get into first without getting some pretty significant car shuddering now. Now I need to give it some gas whenever I go into 1st or reverse. Also the engine sound has changed. It's a little louder and there's more deep bass to the engine sound in the cabin. I kind of like it, doesn't sound like a sewing machine anymore as others have described it. However, I may consider changing to the Black Evolve mount or IPD's upper engine mount if the vibration and noise gets too tiresome.

So in terms of how it affects handling, I can't really say so far but it feels like body roll is reduced a little and the steering is tighter and more responsive. Again, I'll need more time (alone time) with the car to push it a little and see the difference.

Initial impressions: In terms of function - mixed. In terms of buying experience from QBM, quality of product, and ease of installation - excellent.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Don't worry, I got used to the "increased" vibration after a day or two... not bothersome at all to me, cos it makes everything seem more connected in a nice way.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (PhilUp)

Quote, originally posted by PhilUp »
It's hard to describe because before when I started up the car, the vibration used to be pretty harsh and on shut down there was the infamous "death rattle"....

I'm trying to tell everyone ... If you replace the other engine bushings the vibration and "Death rattle" is little to none on start up and shut down. There is still a little more cabin noise but it's significantly less than just having the one engine mount bushing.

Several people started and shut down KVB's and my car at a Nurburgring GTG when we replaced those other bushes.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

You mean that dual-mass flywheel shut off death-rattle that sounds like a 60's Plymouth with an ignitiion run-on problem that finally decides to shut down and when it does sounds like it will never start again?

I didn't think any amount of bushings would get rid of that. It's one of the idiosyncracies I've just come to ignore.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (StaggRLee)

i have the qbm and top big and small engine bushing and its not really a death rattle. it does rattle a bit but thats the price you pay for better handling. trust me they do alot more when if you have ipd sways.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (p0cket penguins)

Quote, originally posted by p0cket penguins »
i have the qbm and top big and small engine bushing and its not really a death rattle. it does rattle a bit but thats the price you pay for better handling. trust me they do alot more when if you have ipd sways.

The death rattle is from the dual-mass flywheel, not the mounts. The death rattle is heard upon shutoff when the dual mass flywheel vibrates a bit.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (p0cket penguins)

Quote, originally posted by p0cket penguins »

I just installed the ipd bushing kits (strut and engine mount), and I can certainly attest to the tightening that they provide. Ride is consistent and solid, albeit a bit more 'real' to phrase it nicely. Probably not as firm as the QBM conversion, but a nice happy medium, if you will. Keep in mind that I have the GT, so it tries to compensate for the lack of 'mush' that it's familiar with by shifting quicker, or so it seems. I will also attest to the cabin vibration, but I like it. Makes it seem more like a sports car and less like a sedan, IMHO.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (wrxownr)

Hey D, I see you didn't waste anytime finding a computer

But yeah, I think after doing all the bushing with powerflex/evolve there was definately less vibration during start up and shut down. Overall the feel is really good and felt much more precise and concise.

Kevin

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Probably ALL of these helped.
You will notice after 1000 or so miles that is all settles in, the car loosens up a hair and the clutch is easier to work, (again)
The first day I let it out as usual and just stalled the damn thing. It does require a bit more throttle but, as I said, it all "breaks in" and sort of settles in the middle after a while

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (JRL)

Just installed the QBM strut conversion kit this morning. Very easy, great directions.

Vibration? No. Greg told me that the vibrations he has heard about have ended up being one of the exhaust shields. I have no additional vibration, "death rattle" or other sounds that are new.

Haven't driven far enough to be certain, but I detect a slightly better turn in, and the front end reacts differently when I go over speed bumps in the grocery parking lot. Before, there was a bit of a clunk, or more appropriately, what was probably a bit of movement in the front end. Now, the front end doesn't ahve the same feeling, frankly, as a before and after, I'd say that there is less flex in the front end, say between the strut towers, and there isn't the feeling that it is "clunking". That is the wrong description, but I can't think of anything else, it seemed, in retrospect, like a kind of double bump, but so fast that I couldn't distinguish the two bumps. Now, only one bump, and less instrusive.

Since this is an '01, and JRL says these have the least sensitive steering, I have to say that the steering now feels more responsive. That may be due to first replacing the sway bar links, and then doing the strut convernsion. Each change brought a small improvement in the steering response, and now it doesn't feel like I give a command and wait for the response, I turn the wheel and the car turns right now.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (wizzard_al)

I am thinking of installing the bar conversion kit and the lower transmission mount. Question.....what are the signs that the lower transmission mount is shot? I was under the car today and it looked solid, no cracks, no free play to speak of.

Is it an upgrade that's stiffer so even if my lower mount was new it would be a plus?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »
I am thinking of installing the bar conversion kit and the lower transmission mount. Question.....what are the signs that the lower transmission mount is shot? I was under the car today and it looked solid, no cracks, no free play to speak of.

Is it an upgrade that's stiffer so even if my lower mount was new it would be a plus?

Thanks.

i'd like to know this too. i may get one but wonder if it will help IF my stock one is "ok"....

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (23109VC)

Sean-

I am pretty drunk (it is Oktoberfest) but I understand this very well. All of the quickbrick products are designed to improve on OEM it is a passion of the owner so yes it will be an improvement over your OEM mount if you are looking for performance

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
Sean-

I am pretty drunk (it is Oktoberfest)

well then, auch ein Bier bitte!

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (Helmut Ranff)

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
Sean-

I am pretty drunk (it is Oktoberfest)

Are you singing cheesy 70's songs to the tunes of an Oompah band (Hey! Who the f*ck is Alice!?)

It's a little late for Oktoberfest but we won't begrudge you!

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PhilUp »

Also the engine sound has changed. It's a little louder and there's more deep bass to the engine sound in the cabin.
oops now this can't be good.

even this statement alone sounds like a good reason to doubt this product.

so why do you think the engine sound has gotten louder after installing the 'strut bar conversion' ? it can't be because the engine is under "less" stress now can it ?

normally, a strut bar should have nothing to do with an engine's sound. but here, my theory is that when you kill the flexibility of the upper engine mount with this product, you also happen to put a lot more stress on the engine.

now after the conversion, when you push the gas, the engine block as a whole + the 2 lower mounts are trying to absorb all the load, as the upper engine mount can't flex to help them anymore.

i had doubts before but now i have definitely decided not to get this product, thanks for the info PhilUp...

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Doubt it. Think about it this way...sure the upper engine mount bar is more rigidly connected to the chassis, but the mount from the top of the engine to this bar passes through not one but TWO bushings (large and small upper engine mount bushings) before it hits the bar. Both in stock form have a good bit of give.

The car sounds different because it is transmitting more vibration into the cabin, not because the engine is under more stress or is vibrating more. I would suspect that with stock upper large and small mount bushings, that the strut bar conversion kit would add very little, if at all, vibration to the cabin. I intend to find out soon!

I have played around quite a bit with the upper mount and bar bushings and mounts. I have had pretty much every configuration that has been mentioned here, and with a GT the car is sensitive to vibration. WIth the stock upper bushings doing either the powerflex bar stiffener or the "washer mod" yields very little, if any, extra cabin vibration. When I had the powerflex upper bushing mounted, it was just too much vibration, even with the mounts from the bar to the body completely stock. With all three mounted, it was LOUD.

Sedar your theory makes mention of the lack of flexibility in the system being a bad thing and being responsible for the increased engine noise / vibration. So at idle, your theory would assume that all would be back to normal. It's not. When you install those busings, you can tell the second you start the car.

Besides which, having the engine and transmission more rigidly mounted to the car is actually better for the engine and drivetrain. All that shifting around has to be absorbed someplace between the crankshaft, transmision and driveshafts. More shifting = more wear.

Of course, it's not too good for all the tinglies to have it mounted that way. Unless you like the vib-ro-matic option!

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (Serdar-S60T5)

Quote, originally posted by Serdar-S60T5 »

normally, a strut bar should have nothing to do with an engine's sound. but here, my theory is that when you kill the flexibility of the upper engine mount with this product, you also happen to put a lot more stress on the engine.

now after the conversion, when you push the gas, the engine block as a whole + the 2 lower mounts are trying to absorb all the load, as the upper engine mount can't flex to help them anymore.

i had doubts before but now i have definitely decided not to get this product, thanks for the info PhilUp...

Can you elaborate a bit more here? The flexibility of the upper engine mount is not affected in any way by installing the strut bar conversion kit. When you say more 'stress', do you mean stress on the other engine mount locations?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: Initial QBM strut bar conversion impressions (George @ ViVA)

Quote, originally posted by George @ ViVA »

Can you elaborate a bit more here? The flexibility of the upper engine mount is not affected in any way by installing the strut bar conversion kit. When you say more 'stress', do you mean stress on the other engine mount locations?

More stress on the ENGINE?!?

What, does the previous poster think the strut bar conversion is gonna cause the engine casing to split in half?!?
It gives you more vibration because it is LESS ISOLATED from the frame--less isolated does NOT convey more stress inherently...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts