SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my car is at 100k.

I called 3 dealers all quoted me $1,000 straight up on the phone.

Local indy who deal with european cars, quoted $900 for TB, Tensioner, Pulley, and water pump. Said he wont do the job without the water pump. He doesnet want to be the last guy working on the car incase the water pump doesnt make it to 210k.

I then drove to my volvo dealer and went in. He again quoted me $1,000. But got out a brochure He pointed to the 15k mile service (due at 105k) costing $349. Then he pointed to an ala carte service for Timing Belt, tensioner, and Pulley for $649.

I said I do the 15k stuff on my own do i have to have you do it. he smiled and said no.

So i made the appointment for the $649. I did the TB service on my Audi A6 (see pic) I think at this stage in my life $350+ labor or so is well worth saving me the time effort and knuckle blood.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The TB job on this car is much easier than the Audi where you have to take apart the front end like in your pic.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Is that why his TB replacement costs are so outrageous? What's the average TB costs for our R cars?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I bought the TB kit with water pump and had the local Volvo/MB indy install it and it cost me around $295 for the labor, $141 for the TB kit ipd sells and another $80 for the water pump. Alot less then $1500 quoted by the dealer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that why his TB replacement costs are so outrageous? What's the average TB costs for our R cars?
For the audi A6 and A4 cars, the entire front of the car had to come off. You can see it in my pick, the front bumper was built with a swing arm design to get access to the front of the motor.

From the point in the pick, i still had another 2+ hours of demo just to get at the timing belt. the audi it was an 8 hour job + $200 parts. Hence the $1,300 cost for audi to do it.

The volvos are only a 3 hour job.

·
Registered
635 Posts
honestly from looking at the guides, there is nothing special about replacing the t-belt on our cars, or any Volvo 5cyl for that matter.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
honestly from looking at the guides, there is nothing special about replacing the t-belt on our cars, or any Volvo 5cyl for that matter.
Yes I remember talking to a Volvo tech when I had my 850 and he said to do just the TB without the water pump he could do the job in less than 45 min.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
My2 you can do it, just need to follow the regular info that you can find online or asking some screen prints. Having Dice/Vida can help you to do this and alot of work later. About the timing belt inthing in youtube fcp has a video of na s60. Juts to get an idea, R has dual vvts.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My2 you can do it, just need to follow the regular info that you can find online or asking some screen prints. Having Dice/Vida can help you to do this and alot of work later. About the timing belt inthing in youtube fcp has a video of na s60. Juts to get an idea, R has dual vvts.

Dual VVT's only matters if you're replacing cam seals.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My dealer quoted me $700.00 for tb w/o water pump.

A local Volvo garage quoted me $495.00 for the tb and $7xx.00 something w/ water pump.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Any indy quoting over $400 is trying to get extra spending $$ for his vacation ot the Bahamas.

And My2, that is TOTALLY what dumped my search for an allorad or S6.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Terrace Auto in Temple Terrace FL quoted me about $365 for the TB, seals and pump replaced, if I provide my own parts. But, if I supply my own parts, they won't guarantee their work. Dealership wanted over $700.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Dual VVT's only matters if you're replacing cam seals.
yeah, i was telling that cause the video on youtube is single cam, but is the same process.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Any indy quoting over $400 is trying to get extra spending $$ for his vacation ot the Bahamas.
Ummmmm ^, feel free to do t yourself then Sir, or shop around. However, how a tech decides to allocate their money is NONE of your business. I agree that over $400 is too much, but until you open a shop and insure it and yourself, you have no right to judge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My was replaced under warranty @ 72,000 with a failed pulley. The dealer quoted $725.00 for the replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
514 Posts
My Indy quoted me $1000 for a TB replacement on our XC90. Decided to try it myself when the time comes. We are at 91k right now. Just received a camshaft locking tool from a fellow SSer today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts