SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i am a volkswagen/audi man traditionaly, but am interested in the 850 volvo now. i was wondering if there was a page with a year to year breakdown of engines, changes, trim levels etc. or if anybody can give me some info. thanx alot! <P>anything canada specific?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,997 Posts
1993 - first year, 4 lug wheels<BR>1994 - 5 lug wheels, new bumper cover design, but still older taillights. 850 Turbo introduced.<P>1995 same as before but T-5R introduced in yellow and black.<P>1996-1997 - Turbo renamed T-5, T-5R renamed 850R.<P>There are basically three motors, regularly aspirated I5, Low Pressure Turbo I5 and high pressure turbo I5 at around 220hp. R models had 240hp, 17" wheels, alcantara interior and sport suspension.<P>There was also a limited edition Platinum Edition with pearl white paint and 5spoke alloys.<P>Last, in Canada, the 850R was available with manual tranny unlike the USA where they were all automatic.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>1993 - first year, 4 lug wheels<BR>1994 - 5 lug wheels, new bumper cover design, but still older taillights. 850 Turbo introduced.<P>1995 same as before but T-5R introduced in yellow and black.<P>1996-1997 - Turbo renamed T-5, T-5R renamed 850R.<P>There are basically three motors, regularly aspirated I5, Low Pressure Turbo I5 and high pressure turbo I5 at around 220hp. R models had 240hp, 17" wheels, alcantara interior and sport suspension.<P>There was also a limited edition Platinum Edition with pearl white paint and 5spoke alloys.<P>Last, in Canada, the 850R was available with manual tranny unlike the USA where they were all automatic.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Adding my $0.02 to George's well done synopsis:<P>* For MY1994 850s, the models that got (immediately) the new front bumper and "turbo" headlights were the (naturally) 850 Turbo and 850 GLT. Base 850s still had the 1993 front bumper and headlights. They received the new front bumper and headlights starting with week 01 of the model year which was January 1st, 1994.<P>** 850 Turbos and T-5s were rated at 222 HP.<P>Yannis<BR><P>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
322 Posts
I will ad a few thoughts also.<P>95--First year for side airbags, Optional in Base, GT and GLT and Standard on T-5<P>97--LPT introduced. One of the few motors Car & Driver gave a perfect 10 to in a comparison test.<P>Canadian Specific? Yeah, you could get the R models with a stick!, drooooool. Someone else will have to specify the years that the stick was available, I know 97, not sure of the other years.<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:<BR><B>1994 - 5 lug wheels, new bumper cover design, but still older taillights. 850 Turbo introduced.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>And the wagon was added. '93 was sedan only.<P>There was also an AWD 850 in Canada. I don't recall which years, or whether it was sold in the US.<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,579 Posts
Some guy around me has an 855 with the '93 front end. It's the only one I've ever seen outside of Europe. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
that would just mean its a wagon, but I have never heard of them actually putting the 855 on the back of them. Maybe he had it custom made. Now I have a question, I have a 1996 850 turbo, I know this is the same as the t-5, but its called a turbo, as in it just says turbo on the back, not t-5. Let me know, did they say t-5, or was that one of those things like the 855 just being called 850, but really being an 855 cuz its a wagon. As far as the year, Im absolutily sure that we bought it in 1996 and that its a 1996 and that we bought it new. So its def a 1996, unless the dealer lied and leased a year old model with out telling my dad. That would also mean out insurance has been messed up for a while, among other things. Anyway, fill me in on this confusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
T5R and 850R are not the same - T5R has 15g turbo and the 850R has 16g plus stronger internals-hence better car; this engine was used in the 70 series with 16t turbo<P>
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
322 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pj's 850:<BR><B>that would just mean its a wagon, but I have never heard of them actually putting the 855 on the back of them. Maybe he had it custom made. Now I have a question, I have a 1996 850 turbo, I know this is the same as the t-5, but its called a turbo, as in it just says turbo on the back, not t-5. Let me know, did they say t-5, or was that one of those things like the 855 just being called 850, but really being an 855 cuz its a wagon. As far as the year, Im absolutily sure that we bought it in 1996 and that its a 1996 and that we bought it new. So its def a 1996, unless the dealer lied and leased a year old model with out telling my dad. That would also mean out insurance has been messed up for a while, among other things. Anyway, fill me in on this confusion.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Take a breath. <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/wink.gif"><P>854 (sedan) 855 (wagon), are sometimes refered as internal designations, 8, 8 or 800 series, 5, 5 cyl. 4, 4 door. 855...5 door.<P>If you have a concern with the actual year of your car, look at you VIN, the 10th digit should be a <B>T</B> designating a 1996 model year car.<BR> <P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACD:<BR><B>Some guy around me has an 855 with the '93 front end. It's the only one I've ever seen outside of Europe. Any ideas?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Up above Yannis wrote:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:<BR><B>* For MY1994 850s, the models that got (immediately) the new front bumper and "turbo" headlights were the (naturally) 850 Turbo and 850 GLT. Base 850s still had the 1993 front bumper and headlights.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It sounds like a '94 855 with '93 lights is just a normal non-turbo for that year.<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
ah my qustion has been answered. Damn them europeans. Can I get a t-5 badge. You know I was told by someone in the ***** community that performance stickers and badges add horsepower, hehe. For those of you familiar with the ***** community, you know that to be an inside joke, for the rest of you its too hard to explain. I wonder how much horsepower my t-5 badge will add. I think I need an R badge too, then I will have even mroe power. LOL, I crack my self up sometimes. Ok so an 850R and 850 T-5R are different cars, I see, ok, and I assume then that the T-5R is different than the T-5. That would be the only part of the mystery I think Im still confused on. Thanks again, and sorry to add questions to someone elses post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>T-5R is different than the T-5. That would be the only part of the mystery I think Im still confused on.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You've got it... the T-5R is different than the T-5. The T-5 is basically the Turbo engine (222 HP), as well as the TURBO with some creature comforts, and the T-5R is a 240 HP engine... Also, interior is different, the alcantara and leather mix, and the front bumper I believe is different. Also, I believe only yellow and black were offered for the T-5R, well, that's what I can offer <IMG SRC="http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/biggrin.gif"><P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
AH! Im confused, Then whats an R model. Is the T-5R different from the 850R, I thought we said this to be so, they are different. I thought we looked at an R model, my dad that is, that had all you mentioned. Nicer ground effects, 17" wheels, alcantra leather-sudo suade, 240 hp, etc. So now what was an R then if its different from a t-5R.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
OK the T-5R came out in 95 I believe and it had...<BR>240HP<BR>Alcantra<BR>17 inch Titan rims(5 spokes)<BR>yellow or black<BR>Sports suspension<P>R basically same as T-5R...<BR>240HP and rare 250HP manual in Canada only<BR>Alcantra<BR>17 inch Volan rims (7 spokes)<BR>Many colors<BR>Sports Suspension<BR>Stronger engine parts <BR>Newer<P>So basically they are the same just with re-badging and the R being a litte bit better with the engine components.The T-5R and R are both the top of the line 850 models with the turbo and T-5 coming next and then down to GLT and then down to just plain out 850, hope that helps some <P><BR>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
I believe the 854R got the rear spoiler with an extra lip, and the T5-R got a flat spoiler. The 850R was also available in white and red, and the T5-R was available in a dark green color.<P>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
In Europe it goes like this-<P>850 T-5 225bhp engine with 15g turbo<P>850 T-5R : 240bhp Engine with 15g turbo;exactly the same engine just different ECU and higher boost, plus uprated suspension and interior differences<P>850R : 250bhp with 16g turbo-different engine with stronger internals and larger turbo plus all the suspension mods and interior as the T-5R<P>
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top