SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was shocked to find there was no spare. Now realized that there is no inflater or can of sealant / goop either. Thinking of getting spare but even then we we take a trip with a decent amount of luggage not sure if we'd have the spare. So that that in mind thinking of getting the inflater and the can. Is there comparable after market item? Saw one locally but the can expires in 2 years. Does this stuff actually go bad?

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Was shocked to find there was no spare. Now realized that there is no inflater or can of sealant / goop either. Thinking of getting spare but even then we we take a trip with a decent amount of luggage not sure if we'd have the spare. So that that in mind thinking of getting the inflater and the can. Is there comparable after market item? Saw one locally but the can expires in 2 years. Does this stuff actually go bad?

Thanks,
Get ready to gasp. Tempa Spare foam insert + tire = $500.00 Ya, I'm not kidding...I shelled out for this package, and had to give up my convenience grocery bag holder. Either Spare or insert. Not both....

Spare has come in handy twice.

Box - https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/2015/S60/BoxONLYfor-Spare-wheel--storage-under-the-floor/10935370/31399083.html

Tire - https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Spare-wheel--storage-under-the-floor/1154125/31317980.html

Tire has been replaced by this new part: https://usparts.volvocars.com/p/Volvo__/Spare-wheel-Spare-wheel--storage-under-the-floor/67795817/31317980.html

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
so .. searched on Continental Mobility Kit, found this on amazon. Good reviews, one review says it fits in he space in the S60. Any experience here ? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0166BVK28/ref=emc_b_5_i
That should work nicely. Just remember, after you fill a tire with this crap, you will need a new tire. It causes the rubber in the tire become soft and swells the rubber thus sealing a leak temporarily. Its nasty stuff. We charge a cleanup fee if our equipment is exposed to sealers like this.

Most times it will help seal a nail or small puncture so you can get to a repair shop and get a tire. Cut the sidewall and it won't matter, you are stuck. Might be better off with towing insurance or AAA

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, have AAA. Just figuring to get this because I'm not sure I want to lose any more room to the spare in the trunk. :( If nothing else it would be $20 to have a an option at least should I have a small flat after tire shop hours and/or until I get the spare package.

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
I see spare kits (tire and bag) on craigslist all the time for around $100. I think Erie sells it for $150.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah I see Erie is selling the spare for $90 + s/h. no bag. hmmmmm ....

·
Registered
197 Posts
For peace of mind on my last winter road trip I put one of the summer wheels flat on the rear floor and used some rope to tie it to the four tie down loops in my V60. It worked well to pile luggage on top of it. I think the temporary spare is not as wide as the normal wheels so it would give you a bit more room and a bit less weight in the trunk of your S60.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
For peace of mind on my last winter road trip I put one of the summer wheels flat on the rear floor and used some rope to tie it to the four tie down loops in my V60. It worked well to pile luggage on top of it. I think the temporary spare is not as wide as the normal wheels so it would give you a bit more room and a bit less weight in the trunk of your S60.
I might do the same thing if we take my car on a long road trip. It would be in the summer so I'll throw in one of the snow tires. Even though it would not be the same exact size as the all seasons it's still much better than a temp spare.
Otherwise, I got AAA if something happens closer to home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts