SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone confirm that they are able to fit the new style (up to 40lbs) rear facing infant car seats in the back of an S60? I thought the older ones up to 30lbs were big, bu the new ones are HUGE.

If anyone has success can you tell me which brand of seat?

We can just fit it barely in our Nissan Rogue, but the Corolla we are planning to replace can fit it unless the passenger seat is all the way forward and slightly inclined forward.

I don't really want to go back to the dealership just to check, as it is a 2 hour drive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a baby trend car seat and it fits comfortably in the back. We just bought a new Britax convertible car seat because my daughter is getting bigger and it also fits behind the passenger seat without sacrificing the persons comfort in the passenger seat. I hope this helps,

Jim

P.S. I took my car seat with me when I picked out my car, that might be a good idea in your case as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rear facing up to 40 pounds? That's ridiculous. Short of a full size SUV you're not going to find much that a seat big enough to rear face and fit a child that size will fit into. That's why kids go into booster seats when they get to 35 pounds or so.

To me, the safety of the child becomes compromised when a seat that large forces the driver into an awkward seating position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our seat (some sort of evenflo seat i think) fits fine behind the passenger seat. I would have to move my seat forward a bit to fit it behind me but it would be doable as I have the seat back really far and the steering wheel pulled out as far as it will go. Our daughter is 22 months and fits rear facing just fine still. Definately safer than forward facing also

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've found my children's legs to be too long to fit rear facing just after 12 months. No way would I want them scrunched up in a seat. I think it's bad for their bodies to be squished while riding in the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look at videos online of what happens to a 12 month old in a crash when front facing. Thats far worse than bending their legs a bit, its not like they are in a car seat 8 hours a day

·
Registered
295 Posts
Look at videos of any human being in a crash- it's never good. A child of at least the minimum proportions at 12 mos. or greater is safely and legally allowed to forward face in a properly secured convertible seat.

At 12 months my daughter was 3" taller and 2 pounds heavier than the minimum numbers to go front facing, just like at 3-1/2 she was similarly way too big for her convertible seat anymore so we recently switched to recaro boosters. In the end it all depends on the child- I'm all for safety but it must be balanced within the context of not raising a child in a cocoon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok dont educated yourself it doesnt matter to me. Even in a slow crash a 1 year olds neck is so weak if forward facing their head is like a cannon ball and their neck is like spaghetti. Get in a wreck where they would have been fine rear facing and they are paralysed or dead forward facing because the weight of their head stretches their spinal cord until it snaps. In the end its your kid not mine do what you want

·
Registered
295 Posts
^^So kind of like what happens to a rear facing infant when the car they're in gets hit from behind?

Life is a crapshoot. We do the best we can and try to make good decisions for our kids without raising them in a bubble.

sent from...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The same thing except the average rear end collision isnt as powerful as a front ender is because when you get rear ended you are either driving with the person or stopped and some of the impact just pushes your car forward, when you are head on often its into something coming at you which has far greater impact. I am done argueing though, do what you think is right, if you want to learn something watch a video about it on youtube. If you want to remain in the dark to make yourself feel better thats fine too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts