SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased two 5 quart containers of Castrol 03084 EDGE 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart on Amazon for $24.57 each plus tax. In the description it stated that the oil meets ACEA 1a/1b as well as 5a/5b. When I received it and checked out the container it only listed ACEA 1a/1b, so I contacted Castrol headquarters and asked them specifically for my T8. She had me read out the manufacturing date which was 2019 and she checked and came back indicating that the oil meets the 5a/5b specification called out by Volvo. Apparently they removed it from the label but can now put it back on or some such thing. Bottom line is this appears to be a good quality oil at a reasonable price for anyone out there looking. I tried to determine the difference between 1a/1b vs 5a/5b. It is not very definitive. The date stamp is at the bottom of the container just below the label on the back. It is in purple ink and can be seen more easily with a flash light. It was listed as Y19040 which is probably 2019 40th day (Feb 9th)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7,346 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550045201-Ultra-Platinum-Synthetic/dp/B01M266FWZ

Not cheaper though. about $35/5qt.

Specifications, Approvals, and Recommendations

· FCA MS-6395

· Ford WSS-M2C946-A

· HONDA/ACURA HTO-06

· Volvo

Exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:

· API SN-RC and all previous categories

· ILSAC GF-5

· ACEA A1/B1

· ACEA A5/B5
Hmmm... price has gone up! Used to be commonly available for $22/jug (eg walmart) Maybe they figured out that scores of XC90 owners were buying it.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The good news is that you can get the oil at a decent price point. Just need a good price for the oil filter. The OEM from Volvo is around $13. There are a lot of other filters out there from different manufacturers. Hard to tell if any are equivalent or better than the OEM. Anyone have some input on the filter and pricing? I am now thinking of changing out the oil and filter every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
The good news is that you can get the oil at a decent price point. Just need a good price for the oil filter. The OEM from Volvo is around $13. There are a lot of other filters out there from different manufacturers. Hard to tell if any are equivalent or better than the OEM. Anyone have some input on the filter and pricing? I am now thinking of changing out the oil and filter every 5000 miles.
At ipdusa they have the Mahle filter for SPA cars. Only 1 buck cheaper. Not the same price like the Mahle filter for old Volvos.
For three or four filters a year is not a big deal though.

139568 - Mahle - Engine Oil Filter Cartridge - Drive E 4Cyl
$11.95 EACH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts