Posting for the Buchka's. Original thread can be found here:
A few weeks ago Greg (gdogg16) asked Alex and I if we could help him get a set of individual throttle bodies set up for his B20 build. It seemed like a fun project so we accepted.
For a while now, Alex and I have been talking about starting a small side business under which we can sell things like the wasted spark boards and do little custom jobs like this. There's been facebook page up for a few weeks and a website/online store is coming up this summer.
After some discussion and prep, Greg ended up sending us a box of parts. There was a B20 to Weber adapter manifold of unknown origin, an aluminum Weber flange, a complete set of GSXR 750 throttle bodies, an RMR fuel rail blank, and two -6AN male weld fittings.
Here's one of the initial mock up photos. The throttle bodies have been stripped down and moved apart to check the stack-up and alignment.
When we had figured out what spacing we needed on the throttle bodies, Alex turned new spacers and extended the long bolt on the top side. I fabricated a new brace for the bottom of the throttles.
Next, Alex fixtured the cast manifold in the mill and machined the mounting surfaces flat and parallel. They turned out to be anything but because he needed to take over 5mm off the head side to get a surface that was even close to being parallel.
Welding the throttle barrels to the Weber flange. In this photo you can also glimpse the step that was turned in to the mouth of the throttle body. The custom made velocity stacks slip in there and get locked down with a small grub screw. Changing to either a plenum, filters, or different length velocity stacks only takes a few minutes.
A small part of the weld bead had to be milled off to make clearance for the bolt heads. It's a pretty tight fit.
Turned the fuel rail ends between centers to prepare for welding.
Boring out the injector holes.
The fuel rail needed to have a small notch milled out to clear the bolt head.
We extended the linkage brackets by simply welding on longer tabs to fill the gaps we created earlier.
At this point the manifold was nearing completion, so we decided to add some "flair" to the fuel rail.
Here's a quick shot I took of the fully assembled and completed manifold. The casting got another round in the mill today to clean up a few mounting surfaces and to get rid of whatever ****ty company name was cast in to the thing.
This is getting shipped out to Greg shortly, where he'll be able the finish work like re-plating the linkage brackets, port matching, and general prettying up.
As I mentioned before, we don't have a website up yet. In the mean time here's a link to the facebook page: