SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I listen to much more bass than the previous owner and have noticed that the driver and passenger door inlays tend to rattle the most with stronger bass. I'm talking about the ones higher up, that include the door lever, not the ones down by our knees. I rest my arm on my doorsill when I'm driving and it isn't getting any worse, maybe my arm is absorbing a lot of the vibration. The passenger door inlay is beginning to rattle a little more. It takes less bass to hear that annoying rattle, in comparison to when I bought the car. Does anybody here have any ideas on how to at least stop the condition from getting worse? One idea: Take it apart and put it back in making sure everything is tight, or maybe lace it in deadening material or hot glue. Another: put deadening materials in the whole door. Another: turn down my bass, but that's no fun. My favorite: Get my girl to go out on the town more and more so she can rest her arm on the door and make it less noticeable, haha. Any suggestions welcome. <BR><BR>
[Modified by biggerhurt38, 2:00 PM 10-29-2002]

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Increase rattling...booo (biggerhurt38)

hmm, I used to have the same problem, in the rear door. after I got a sub in the trunk it doesn't vibrate anymore, since the sub is doing the bass.<p>in your case, take the door apart and put some sound damping materials inside, and screw the door back together TIGHT. That should fix it. I did that to my front doors, however since they never rattled I dunno if it helped.... car was quieter however

·
Registered
222 Posts
Re: Increase rattling...booo (xtremepsionic)

What was already said is a good idea, however ratteling sometimes requires other fixes. I have used felt, the fuzzy part of velcro, duct tape, and foam to eliminate rattles. I have met them with medium success. Im a bit anol retentive about these sorts of problems, so mind you most people are not as bothered by the rattles I noticed, but In my 850 various panels snap into place and are not held securly enough to not rattle. For this reason I have been unable to find a good solution. If I could I would silicone these panels in, but then I cant change the tail lights and other things like that. Also my sunroof used to rattle, for this I had to have them take it apart, greese some things, then put it back together. Screws do loosen up overtime. So basicly I would remove the panel as said, apply some dampening material to sheet metal and the door panel itself, being very careful that nothing you do impedes normal functions of the door mechanisms. However another good idea for reducing the rattles is to chance how the speakers are mounted. Those plastic mounting devices are not exactly the most antiresonant and sturdy things to mount speakers too. Most companies will atleast mount speakers into wood with home speakers, but car companies seem to feel that this material not far off from cardboard and plastic is just fine. I have made MDF wooden baffles before, they work well, I have used Sheetmetal and dampening material, that also works well, fiberglass can be used, etc. Basicly make something, or have a car audio shop make something to more securly mount the speakers will have good advantages. Its a good idea to more securly mount the speakers to the car, and any way you can achieve this will give you improved sound. Oh yeah, car audio install basics, Silicone, MDF, Duct Tape, Electrical Tape, Foam, Hot Glue, and a razor knife. Its amazing what you can do with these things.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Increase rattling...booo (pj's 850)

yeah, I'm thinking about putting maybe a thin layer of eletrical tape between some of the panels, where they meet each other.<p>There are lots of panels in a 850 that are put on top of each other and are not secured, therefore lots of rattles. I think for panels that doesn't need to be removed, should try glueing them together.<p>it gets quite loud on rougher roads and especially cold weather

·
Registered
222 Posts

Removing the panels and replacing the clips can help, those loosen up over time. Tightening screws is also a good idea. When I went around apply dampening, I had to remove most of the panels, I was suprised to notice lots of loose screws all over. Infact one panel the screws had fallen out of, Im not sure wha the panel did, but I had to order new screws for it. Anyway, tighten the screws can help a little, but I dont think electrical tape will do what you want. I think I tried that, it was either electrical tape or duct tape, but I think it was electrical tape. Anyway, its not really thick enough nor does it dampen enough to be effective. You can try it, and if it works great, but I think toy will need something else. You will notice what Volvo uses, that stuff is actually pretty effective, just not enough is used. I have ordered some similar stuff from 3M before, it helped some. I still have some areas I need to get into, but they are the less obvious ones.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: Increase rattling...booo (pj's 850)

What do they use? If it isn't thick/soft enough I suppose I can find something better.<p>I'm really thinking some glue would do wonders in panels which we don't need to remove (like the seat belt one)<p>I heard some people said use silicon grease...

·
Registered
222 Posts

I dont know, I cant imagine using siliconen grease on plastic panels like that, but it wont hurt them, so it could work, its just messy. Def. keep all metal on metal parts well greased, and make sure the screws are tight, I have had a few come loose and roll out before. It may be for another reason I am not aware of, but I have seen some screws. I actually have a nut I found in the car, it looks like a volvo piece, but I cant figure out where it goes, cant be good. Hehe. Anyway, silicone sealant works well for such matters also. This may seem obvious, but dont use Hot Glue, it will melt in the heat of the sun. I have used it before, and it should not be used as a permanent solution, it will not hold. Just make sure that whatever you are sealing up does not impair the ability to do any work. I sealed up some panels without thinking first, needed to get in there to do some repairs, and found myself having a lot more problems because of the sealed panels. Some people use expandable foam, Warning 1 is that this stuff is very flamable, warning two is that it gets everywhere, and I dont find it effective at all. I think that experimenting with materials like Cork, Felt, Loaded Vinyl, Silicone, etc can all be good. I just placed an order for some scrap foam from a foam cutting shop. They are sending it out for me, and I plan to use it in different places to help reduce vibrations, rattles, and hopefully even control the acoustics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts