7/2010 I had volvo dealer install new front rotors/pads

Squealing recently from front so I had current volvo dealer check brakes

Last dealer installed 16" rotors with 17" pads

I have receipt showing 17" install for both

There is a deep ridge as you can imagine on the pads:mad:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Take it back to the dealer that installed the pads and wrong rotors and have them give you what you paid for. Also call VNA and tell them about the safety issue. The tech that made this mistake should be fired, for not noticing that the pad was larger than the rotor.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The techs for jobs like that are the low end ones... Could have been his first brake job. Check the bolts too.. So the pads have a grove, nothing you can do now
except complain that will resolve nothing.

To get work done right I do it myself.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The techs for jobs like that are the low end ones... Could have been his first brake job. ....
Even if it was the kids 10th brake job, someone should have made sure he did the job correctly! The problem probably started with the guy that pulled the parts, and continued from there. None the less you take a car to a dealershipbecause their techs are supposed to be trained for your vehicle, that is part of the premium they demand. I maintain that a complaint at the service dept and a call to Volvo NA will put this issue on the dealership's radar. They owe OP the correct parts even if it is 2yrs latter, and the dealer needs to make sure that no shortcuts are taken in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem with my '07, unfortunately it happened to the previous owner (who never had it taken care of or likely even noticed) so I had to swap the rotors myself. Somewhere I read that this is a problem with one of the major parts distributors and they have the two rotors mixed up in their inventory system, so it is likely that the tech actually DID order the 17" rotors, and just didn't pay attention as he was installing them that they were the wrong size.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had the same problem with my '07, unfortunately it happened to the previous owner (who never had it taken care of or likely even noticed) so I had to swap the rotors myself. Somewhere I read that this is a problem with one of the major parts distributors and they have the two rotors mixed up in their inventory system, so it is likely that the tech actually DID order the 17" rotors, and just didn't pay attention as he was installing them that they were the wrong size.
The volvo dealer in MD that did the incorrect install refunded the price, gave me the option of refunding the price I paid in MD (higher) or the price of the reinstall in FL (lower)
The service manager was the one I dealt with, I must say it was one of the shortest most polite conversations I have ever had.

On the other hand, when I had the vacuum pump replaced on the other xc90, I open the hood 3 weeks later to check the oil level, the air intake hose (the one that drapes over the radiator) is missing ! Call the to the volvo dealer, its on the tech's workbench, quick reinstall.
Left me wondering why it is designed the way it is, serpentine course ?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The stock rotors will wear down with a ridge when the stock pads are used, just as a point of information. Our 2004 went through quite a few pads in 135,000 miles and we never changed the rotors even though the dealer really wanted to see the cash to do it, and in the end the same dealer gave us top dollar for our well cared for car in trade, and decided to put the money into it and sell it as a certified used car. Makes you wonder. (By making this comment I am not suggesting or recommending others do this, I am just saying we monitored ours and made the choice as noted).

P

1 - 7 of 7 Posts