SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I randomly have times when auto start/stop does not work. I understand there are a variety of factors that disable this function...ie. the heated windshield being on, too many heated seats at once, etc. I, however, can't seem to find a pattern to this. I'm concerned maybe a low battery might be causing this, but I've only received one warning of that in my whole ownership and never saw it again.

Anyone else seeing this random behavior? It's not a big deal as I don't care about this function much, but just curious. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yes, mine has done this since purchase. I believe it has to do with the current charge level in the battery used for start/stop, as well as of course, all those other factors which can affect it.

I let it do its thing now and if I want it to not operate I just turn it off for that specific trip. In the warmer weather it didn't bother me if it worked or didn't work all the time, but I've found now with the cold upon us, I turn it off more often because I found it turning off too much even when the heat was needed for the cabin for warmth.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Only thing I can think of is the outside temperature will effect if the auto stop will be on in comfort mode (note it will not be on in dynamic mode). If the temp is too high or low it will not activate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I randomly have times when auto start/stop does not work. I understand there are a variety of factors that disable this function...ie. the heated windshield being on, too many heated seats at once, etc. I, however, can't seem to find a pattern to this. I'm concerned maybe a low battery might be causing this, but I've only received one warning of that in my whole ownership and never saw it again.

Anyone else seeing this random behavior? It's not a big deal as I don't care about this function much, but just curious. Thanks.
The randomness of this sounds normal to me - i.e. it's likely due to a "low battery" but not an actual malfunctioning low battery. The system isn't going to activate if the battery charge is getting low and potentially cause an issue for the car. The more things on, the bigger the draw on the battery when the engine is off, so the more likely the car will not trigger the auto off (same if the the car has been sitting for an extended period of time and you come to a stop shortly after starting up...)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I posted this before as well. I think it has to do with how cold and wet your engine is. Cold start in winter or rainy days seem to not activate it. But once engine is warm, if you shut it off and restart it, then it's activated. However, I can't reproduce this pattern consistently either

·
Registered
178 Posts
In Europe start/stop has been in almost all new cars for about five years now and I have driven many different cars with it. It is kind of random when it works and not, no matter what brand or car. I've stopped caring about it..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts