SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father 2002 S60 2.4T is starting to act up... badly.:confused: I am not getting any Error Messages. When I took it for a drive tonight, the check engine light was on. When I was driving, The Check engine light was actually flashing at me (which I have never seen happen before).

These are the symptoms:
- Engine Knocking
- During acceleration it seems to only run on 3-4 cylinders
- Extremely rough idle
- At Higher speeds (80-100 km) (45 mph-60 mph) these symptoms seem to disappear.
- Also During acceleration it vibrates like a bastard.. (almost feels as though both front tires are WAAAYY out of balance)
- At idle, there is a noticeable "dimming" and "brightening" of the lights, both headlights, and interior lights.

Now, What has been replaced:
- Coil Packs
- Injectors
- Spark plugs/Wires

- The car is running 94 octane gas, and the Oil has been changed + maintenance regularly.

Anyone have ANY ideas? or anything that can help me in the slightest?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Sounds like it's either fuel or electrical, if it was me I'd check the fuel pump and replace the battery if it hasn't been replaced yet

I recall a member that had similar problems at low speed and it turned out to be a failing fuel pump

Pray that it's not engine internals, completely shot bearings, cracked sleeve or busted head gasket...

·
Registered
501 Posts
A flashing check engine lights usually indicates that your engine is misfiring and you should stop running the vehicle to prevent serious mechanical harm.

Based on what you're saying that the symptoms go away the faster your driving and the fact that the lights are dimming at idle I would have your alternator checked.

I would also check the gap on your plugs.

What are your codes? Those will help a lot since right now I am really just guessing.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
were all of the parts replaced after the problem began?

get a compression tester on there asap. sounds like a headgasket to me. any multiple cylinder misfire is going to balance out at 2500-3k rpm though. I would stop spending money and throwing parts at it until you find the root cause.

Some autoparts stores may even rent you the tool for free or for a minimal charge. Any compression number above 150 for the sake of this test is good, bad cylinders will probably read around 80-90.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Error Messages? Like in the dashboard or via OBD 2 or VIDA/DiCE? If you CEL is on and blinking you are going to have stored codes, those will help solve your problem.

Honestly with the high idle, poor acceleration, shaking, etc....I'd say massive air leak. Anyways, I would try to get it diagnosed as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, i will recommend to have a compression test done. The car is at the Stealership as I type. I requested to have all of the error codes printed out and handed to me so I am able to do some of the work myself.

-Impluse, As for having the parts replaced before or after the problem occurring. The problems started last year. There was a mis-fire code, and for some reason the dealership pinpointed it to be a bad coil pack. So my dad being his worrisome self, replaced all of the wires. the coil packs, injectors (because there was SAND in his injectors, for some reason), and spark plugs. After doing all of this work. the problem went away for a couple of months, and the car ran perfectly. Two nights ago, this problem came back out of the blue. So, im not sure whats happening. Hopefully ill find out soon and be able to send you guys some more info.

Devin.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
ah, then let the dealership handle it, not worth stressing over, IMO. I'm sure they will find the root cause.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Dealers typically like to do the diagnostics and repairs together, they will often not charge for diagnostics if they make the repair. Kinda a stepping on toes kinda thing if you know what I mean. I dont think any of these cars have spark plug wires, and how do you know there was "sand" in the injectors? Dealer did the work or you guys the first time?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was sand In the Injectors because of "Cheap" Gas. Near my city there is a Native American Reserve. They sell Cheap gas & Cigarettes there. Apparently The reason that they get the gas for so cheap is because they buy the "garbage" gas, or gas that hasn't been refined as well as others.. That's the story I got. When I took the old injectors home, and took them apart, sure enough there was sand in them (not alot, but still)

The reason for the post was really to see what people thought it might be, so that I could have somewhere to point them. I have faith in them. Ill let you know what happens after I get the results from the diagnostic (and possible repair) whatever my father decides to do.. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And as for who did the work the first time, I replaced the spark plugs, and the injectors/coil packs. The dealer really didn't have anything to do with the first repairs. My Father has an Indy that, apparently doesn't know what he is doing, and told us that that was causing the problem.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
You'd think the fuel filter would have stopped any actual debris, not to mention the injectors could be cleaned and rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of new injectors, that's suspect to me but certainly not the cause of this problem if you have new injectors.

So the repairs (spark plugs, coils, injectors) were done a few months ago and then two nights ago it came back with a vengence? Have you looked at the spark plugs since it's been doing this again? Might be able to see if it's running lean or has coolant in some cylinders? Any overheating problems?

I am curious as to what they find, please do keep us updated. I hope it's an easy fix and it gets back on the road soon.

What mileage on the car at this time??

·
Registered
277 Posts
- At idle, there is a noticeable "dimming" and "brightening" of the lights, both headlights, and interior lights.
+1 for the alternator.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Story from the dealership- They found nothing wrong with the car. Its apparently misfiring for NO reason at all. They took out and put 2 new spark plugs in, but the problem is still there.

As for your questions: you are correct with saying: having been fixed a few months ago, and then it came back with a vengeance. There hasn't been any overheating issues, and I took all of the spark plugs out yesterday and made sure they were gaped properly. I didn't notice anything wrong with the sparkplugs, no strange smells.. no coolant..

Volvo Also said, the only code its firing is a "misfire on cylinder #2". Right after this, they said that they had taken everything apart and put it back together with new parts and the still the same problem.

The Mileage is approx 170K kms.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They checked the alternator and the battery, and said everything was seemed normal. The Battery has been replaced once since 2011.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you think this is the same problem you were experiencing before, it could be contaminated fuel again. A Volvo fuel filter filters to 1 micron, smaller than sand. It also incorporates a by pass, so if it gets clogged, fuel still goes to the engine. Therefore putting sand into the fuel injector.
A flashing CEL doesn't necessarily mean a misfire but it does indicate "catalyst damage," that being said, usually a " no spark" misfire. The Engine management system on a Volvo turbo is Bosch, however, it has been my experience that only volvo parts work well. Just because you can buy Bosch spark plugs that fit your car doesn;t mean they are going to work.
Your car is notorious for PCV vacuum nipple clog and thus a dirty throttle body. These 2 things should be addressed by someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nah, it turned out to be a bad coil pack. Apparently it came bad from the factory: is the story Volvo gave us.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Another bad coil, after they replaced ALL the coils a few months ago. That's wierd, hope you didn't pay for those replacement parts as Volvo should have a one year parts warranty. All that diagnostics to tell you there's nothing wrong and have it turn out to be another defective coil - that would irk me pretty bad.

Glad to hear it's running good again though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts