SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the smoothness of the six in my V60 R-design. Anyone have current info. on how much longer it will be offered?

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Possibly until these models are completely gone. Volvo stopped producing the 3.2L naturally aspirated engine, but the 3.0L turbo charged version is supposedly going to be available indefinitely.

Unfortunately, there is no room for an engine this size in the SPA models, so when the current generation S60/V60/XC60/S80/XC70 are gone, the engine will probably be gone as well.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I love the smoothness of the six in my V60 R-design. Anyone have current info. on how much longer it will be offered?
The last engines will be produced in November.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Yannis! Glad we got ours before they go away. May not be politically/environmentally correct, but we really like this powertrain, as we have had it in a number of our recent Volvos. But....technology marches on.

·
Administrator
55,950 Posts
Thanks, Yannis! Glad we got ours before they go away. May not be politically/environmentally correct, but we really like this powertrain, as we have had it in a number of our recent Volvos. But....technology marches on.
A neighbor has been test driving various XC60s preferred the T6 6cyl (R-Design) over the XC60 T6 4cyl (Ocean Race). He really liked the XC60 R-Design and will most likely get one on Monday.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The last engines will be produced in November.
What's going to be going on that line when it comes off? ;)

Seems like timelines are being moved up quickly.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
What's going to be going on that line when it comes off? ;)

Seems like timelines are being moved up quickly.
Can't an engine producing plant just produce all the engines they want then leave them in another assembly line and wait for it to be installed in an engine bay? Meaning even though 2015 will be the final year the inline 6 is produced, it can technically sit until MY2017 or MY2018 if Volvo had enough stock. How else would a dealer do an engine swap under warranty if such a need arises?

I remember at a Volvo meet at Gordon Baker Road many years ago, some Volvo enthusiasts found a couple perfectly good S60R and V70R engines in the garbage bin. Digged a little more and it turns out that Volvo of Canada destroyed them on purpose so no one can use them. Bummer.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What follows is that the T6 Drive-E AWD is coming available for the S/V/XC60 soon. I know some people simply refuse to believe it and before someone says "but the combination doesn't fit for this platform" well that has never been an official statement, it was just something that originated from this forum at one time and was taken as gospel.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
>What's going to be going on that line when it comes off?

Wiki page on the plant that produced the Si6. Says production was moved to Sweeden in
March 2015 which seems odd if they are shutting it down end of 2015. I wonder if Volvo
extended it's life by a year (or so) at some point and had to move production out of Wales:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Bridgend_Engine_Plant

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
One of my favorite Volvo engines...ever!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Can't an engine producing plant just produce all the engines they want then leave them in another assembly line and wait for it to be installed in an engine bay? Meaning even though 2015 will be the final year the inline 6 is produced, it can technically sit until MY2017 or MY2018 if Volvo had enough stock. How else would a dealer do an engine swap under warranty if such a need arises?

I remember at a Volvo meet at Gordon Baker Road many years ago, some Volvo enthusiasts found a couple perfectly good S60R and V70R engines in the garbage bin. Digged a little more and it turns out that Volvo of Canada destroyed them on purpose so no one can use them. Bummer.
Engines can (and will) still be produced, after the "production for consumers" stage ends, for the same reasons you brought up. They just won't make it into vehicles for sale. That is what happens with all manufacturers when they discontinue a particular engine.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
What follows is that the T6 Drive-E AWD is coming available for the S/V/XC60 soon. I know some people simply refuse to believe it and before someone says "but the combination doesn't fit for this platform" well that has never been an official statement, it was just something that originated from this forum at one time and was taken as gospel.
Don't count on it. Volvo has a history of offering limited engine selections for the last few years of production.

And brace yourselves, three cylinder engines are coming. I like to fantasize that it will be the 450hp triple charged engine, though.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Don't count on it. Volvo has a history of offering limited engine selections for the last few years of production.

And brace yourselves, three cylinder engines are coming. I like to fantasize that it will be the 450hp triple charged engine, though.
This would mean that Volvo would have no AWD top of the line model, which is their best seller in the XC60, which is their top seller in the 60 series, so that is unlikely.

The 450hp triple charged engine was a 4 cylinder, http://blog.caranddriver.com/swedish-meatball-we-drive-volvos-crazy-triple-boosted-450-hp-four-cylinder-s60/. Triple charging just means, three times the failure points compared to a single turbo 6 that can get the same power.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The XC60 is also available as a T5 AWD.

And Volvo had no qualms about offering the XC90 only with the 3.2 after it killed off the V8.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I'm not saying it's impossible or even unlike the Drive-E AWD will come to the P3 60-series, just that it's not guaranteed given Volvo's past.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Also a T6 Twin Engine could replace it.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The XC60 is also available as a T5 AWD.

And Volvo had no qualms about offering the XC90 only with the 3.2 after it killed off the V8.
Matt,

You are "running too fast". Be patient and the picture will clear up very soon. ;)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
But if I slow down I run out of car things to think about and have to think about things other than cars.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
But if I slow down I run out of car things to think about and have to think about things other than cars.
If we had Comment of the Day, this would win!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.