SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Does the in-car cell (GSM) modem enable anything other than a WiFi hotspot? In other words, do the features like live traffic data and Volvo On Call depend on the in-car cell modem?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
When I was having constant connection problems with my prior XC90 First Edition, the dealer said Volvo On Call uses its own connection.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Hi All,

Does the in-car cell (GSM) modem enable anything other than a WiFi hotspot? In other words, do the features like live traffic data and Volvo On Call depend on the in-car cell modem?

Thanks!
All the apps like Pandora, etc won't function without internet. You aren't bound by the Modem. You can set the car to Wifi and piggyback off your Cell Phone Hotspot if you'd prefer.

I do believe VOC requires a way to communicate. The Modem will still connect (but apps, etc won't work), but VOC still will. Not sure if VOC will work or not if run off the Wifi of a hotspot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
VOC has it's own SIM card provided by Volvo and separate modem. VOC will work always even if you don't have "regular" internet connection for apps (because you have no modem or you didn't pair your car with your phone hotspot or whatever). Everything else (traffic, apps like Spotify, Tune-in etc) requires some form of internet connection (again, can be built in SECOND modem with your SIM card, car connected to your phone hotspot etc)

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
652 Posts
VOC has it's own SIM card provided by Volvo and separate modem. VOC will work always even if you don't have "regular" internet connection for apps (because you have no modem or you didn't pair your car with your phone hotspot or whatever). Everything else (traffic, apps like Spotify, Tune-in etc) requires some form of internet connection (again, can be built in SECOND modem with your SIM card, car connected to your phone hotspot etc)
The basic internet service for traffic and basic apps.. are included in the cost of the vehicle. You need to pay or use a secondary internet connection source as mentioned already. VOC and the internet are separate SIM's / Modems.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My 2019 XC60 has the car modem that uses the sim mounted in the compartment beside the passengers right ankle.
It also has a ‘telematics’ system which has its own modem and SIM card hidden away in the luggage compartment. This is used for Volvo On Call and, I presume, stuff like car software updates.

How do I know this...because my telematics system doesn’t work properly and the dealer is waiting for a new one from Volvo...symptom is that Volvo On Call will not pair with the car although the csr at Volvo can talk to it.

Also they tell me that the car modem and it’s SIM card have no data plan and if one uses it sooner or later there will be a bill from possibly ATT. I am in Canada so this might be different here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
652 Posts
My 2019 XC60 has the car modem that uses the sim mounted in the compartment beside the passengers right ankle.
It also has a ‘telematics’ system which has its own modem and SIM card hidden away in the luggage compartment. This is used for Volvo On Call and, I presume, stuff like car software updates.

How do I know this...because my telematics system doesn’t work properly and the dealer is waiting for a new one from Volvo...symptom is that Volvo On Call will not pair with the car although the csr at Volvo can talk to it.

Also they tell me that the car modem and it’s SIM card have no data plan and if one uses it sooner or later there will be a bill from possibly ATT. I am in Canada so this might be different here.

If they can communicate with the car, they should be able to pair the app. Sounds like something is wacky.

The data plan is only needed for streaming and wifi like TuneIn or Pandora...

·
Registered
142 Posts
The reason given was that the telematics unit ‘did not wake up properly’. The dealer had the car for most of a day and the outcome was Volvo Canada saying the unit needed to be replaced.
we will see. Expected date for replacement will be last week of May.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
The basic internet service for traffic and basic apps.. are included in the cost of the vehicle. You need to pay or use a secondary internet connection source as mentioned already. VOC and the internet are separate SIM's / Modems.
This is correct. When setting up on call the modem has to be turned off. It's easy for your salesperson to forget to turn the modem on during delivery. Some of this should be getting fixed soon as the provision process for on call is changing this week. But yeah, keep the modem on for the traffic data and weather app etc. You only need to pay for data if you're using heavy streaming content or using the car as a hot spot, but most folks just use their cell phone data.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The SIM in the passenger foot well is for the Sensus infotainment system with all its apps and features, and the system is what allows for the creation of an in-car wifi hotspot.
You can also get it online via internet over bluetooth (from your phone) or by connecting to an external wifi hotspot.

I don't know if I got lucky or if I'm on a trial or what, since there was zero information about this from the dealer, but I've been using the car's connection to stream music from Spotify since I got the car with no issues. Never signed up for any service, it has just been online since day 1...

The reason given was that the telematics unit ‘did not wake up properly’. The dealer had the car for most of a day and the outcome was Volvo Canada saying the unit needed to be replaced.
we will see. Expected date for replacement will be last week of May.

I had a similar issue with it not 'waking' when I wanted to remote start. Brought it in for a software update and that resolved it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The SIM in the passenger foot well is for the Sensus infotainment system with all its apps and features, and the system is what allows for the creation of an in-car wifi hotspot.
You can also get it online via internet over bluetooth (from your phone) or by connecting to an external wifi hotspot.

I don't know if I got lucky or if I'm on a trial or what, since there was zero information about this from the dealer, but I've been using the car's connection to stream music from Spotify since I got the car with no issues. Never signed up for any service, it has just been online since day 1...

I had a similar issue with it not 'waking' when I wanted to remote start. Brought it in for a software update and that resolved it.
Same here had the xc60 a year now with no interruption in service.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting

Same here had the xc60 a year now with no interruption in service.
That is interesting. Are you sure that you have not paired your cell phone with your car and are not sharing the internet connection over Bluetooth?

By the way, thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
207 Posts
That is interesting. Are you sure that you have not paired your cell phone with your car and are not sharing the internet connection over Bluetooth?

By the way, thanks for all the replies!
Nope I hardly ever connect my phone via bluetooth. I do however use the volvos spotify daily. Even when I do not have my phone on me. Not sure what connection the volvo uses or if it is the cell sim data why its still active. When I purchased it I was told it was a 6 month or 6 gb trial whichever comes first before needing to add a data plan. But they also had no clue if it was for the volvo apps or wifi hotspot only.

I also use t-mobile and here in the poconos service for tmobile isn't the best. The volvo however seems to have service everywhere(I believe the in car uses att?)

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Nope I hardly ever connect my phone via bluetooth. I do however use the volvos spotify daily. Even when I do not have my phone on me. Not sure what connection the volvo uses or if it is the cell sim data why its still active. When I purchased it I was told it was a 6 month or 6 gb trail whichever comes first before needed to add a data plan. But they also had no clue if it was for the volvo apps or wifi hotspot only.

I also use t-mobile and here in the poconos service for tmobile isn't the best. The volvo however seems to have service everywhere(I believe the in car uses att?)
If I remember reading it somewhere correctly, if you have a Spotify premium account, it will play on your Volvo app without any limitations of data and/or your phone being connected. I'm inclined to believe the AT&T sim provides unlimited access to Spotify premium accounts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I remember reading it somewhere correctly, if you have a Spotify premium account, it will play on your Volvo app without any limitations of data and/or your phone being connected. I'm inclined to believe the AT&T sim provides unlimited access to Spotify premium accounts.
That would make sense, because I do indeed have Spotify Premium. Barely ever use any of the other online functions.

I think I hit 6 mo. at the end of this month or early next. Guess we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I do have spotify premium. All other volvo apps work also including weather so I really don't know if they just didnt terminate some of our sims like they were supposed to or what the actual data plan is needed for lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think you are correct. My spotify app was working long past when my trial data plan ran out. It was only when I tried accessing something else that needed a network connection that I discovered I had exhausted the trial.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
That would make sense, because I do indeed have Spotify Premium. Barely ever use any of the other online functions.

I think I hit 6 mo. at the end of this month or early next. Guess we'll see what happens.
I do have spotify premium. All other volvo apps work also including weather so I really don't know if they just didnt terminate some of our sims like they were supposed to or what the actual data plan is needed for lol
I think you are correct. My spotify app was working long past when my trial data plan ran out. It was only when I tried accessing something else that needed a network connection that I discovered I had exhausted the trial.
I have been using Spotify Premium since I bought my Volvo new in July 2018. I have been able to access weather and Spotify without any issues (did it just an hour back). I do not use any other installed apps on my Volvo so can't speak for other applications, but, phone connected or no phone connected, Spotify Premium and Weather works and updates perfectly for me (at least). I'm hoping it's the same for everyone else, too and not some happy mistake from AT&T.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts