SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P6302630

With the majority of cyclists likely favoring more mainstream methods of bike conveyance using either a roof or hitch mounted system, I thought this DIY inside car rack might appeal to those who might prefer to affix and transport their rides inside their vehicles. I borrowed this idea from a bike forum member and then made some slight changes specific to the XC60. I really didn’t want to go out and purchase another dedicated rack when all I needed was something that I could use for quick out-of-town day or the odd weekend get away. I thought this was a sensible alternative rather than merely tossing bikes hastily into the boot and possibly sustaining damage. if required, I could always put my roof box into service for additional space topside. I managed to fit two bikes into the 60 with room to spare for wheels and gear. With the exception of the fork mounts, I was able to acquire the rest of the materials from stuff I had laying around the house or at the local hardware outlet. I looked at other readily available track systems currently being sold but couldn’t find one that offered a rear wheel point of attachment. Most or all only provide one track fixture soleyfor the front forks.

This inside setup isn’t for everyone as it does take up additional seating capacity in the rear that might otherwise be occupied by other passengers. However, if you occasionally bike solo or are looking for a stable, safe and relatively inexpensive option of transporting your bikes inside your car, then it just might be worth considering.

If anyone has any questions regarding the rack or its configuration, please let me know and I’ll be happy to elaborate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brilliant !! Can u share your plans for the components involved? Did you have to remove the bike seat to have the frame stand vertically?

This solution would help me to eliminate the mess and clinging and clanging when I throw my bike in on its side.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try and put something together tomorrow. Perhaps a writeup in the form of a PDF attachment. In my case, both saddles were removed from the seat posts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve done my best to compile the write up in the attached PDF. I hope that there is enough detail provided in the instructions to make it easy to follow.

I welcome your questions and requests. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tried to open the PDF several times, but I keep getting a message that the file is corrupted. Can you pls. repost the file?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried to open the PDF several times, but I keep getting a message that the file is corrupted. Can you pls. repost the file?

PM'd you.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've seen simpler DIY racks that used 2x4s. You're project took it to another level - great job! Extra kudos for the excellent write-up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts