SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tail lights on early 1970's and older Volvos are downright tiny.

The ones on my 142S are in this vein. I do have the late amber lens versions in place.

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Light

They have built-in Fresnel lenses on the turn signal and brake lights, but there are no concave mirrors* to direct more light rearward. I decided to remedy that.

So, I found some plated HDPE reflectors on eBay and proceeded to use E6800 adhesive to glue in some. You can see where I machined out areas of the reflectors to route around where the lenses attach and to clear the separators for the backup lamps.

A foot away it is not an obvious improvement. However, at 50ft, there is a visible difference in how much you see. At night it is even more dramatic, sorry I don't have a photo of that.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

*the last year of the small taillights did have one for the directional signal

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Actually, not the last year (1972) of the small taillight because my 1971 does have the reflector. However, this looks like a nice fix because the reflector in my taillights was decidedly non shiny and I ended up refinishing the inside surface with some aluminum foil. Works; but, the aluminum surface is not spectacularly durable (oxidation). Your reflectors would appear to be a more elegant solution. Do you have a link for the Ebay source?

As a related note to improving the illumination level the electrical contacts in the sockets can use all the help that they can get. A little Oxgard applied to the bayonet housing and the contacts at the base of the socket can improve things by reducing the voltage drop across the contact surface.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at my purchases the reflectors, in fact, were bought through Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773FRD7P/

And you are quite right about having the sockets nice and clean.

I use a Dremel bit with abrasive impregnated nylon which makes everything nice and bright and then use a thin film of silicone paste

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Looking at my purchases the reflectors, in fact, were bought through Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773FRD7P/

And you are quite right about having the sockets nice and clean.

I use a Dremel bit with abrasive impregnated nylon which makes everything nice and bright and then use a thin film of silicone paste
Silicon paste as in the silicon grease that is typically sold for lubricating spark plug boots and the like? If so, Silicon grease is generally labeled as a dielectric grease. Not exactly the correct use of the term; but, generally means an electrical insulator. The silicon grease will do a good job of preventing future oxidation of the contacts in the sockets. It will not enhance electrical conductivity. Oxgard, Penetrox and similar products are a grease base; but, they have a fine emulsion of metal in the grease (zinc or copper depending on the product) which enhances electrical conductivity in addition to the grease base which seals out oxygen. If the contacts have plenty of spring pressure to establish good metal to metal contact, the silicon grease may not hurt. Oxgard et al can enhance conductivity when the contact pressure is sub optimal. The Oxgard et al can make up for poor contact pressure; but, not a lack of contact pressure since some pressure is required for the metal emulsion to do its stuff. If you stick the probes for an ohmmeter into a blog of Penetrox it will essentially measure open circuit.

I know of an individual who disassembled his ignition switch, cleaned it up and lubricated the contacts with a liberal amount of silicon grease. Switch mechanism worked very smoothly; but, the electrical operation went into the toilet.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Thanks for the link. I will have to go out and measure the diameter and depth of the existing concave reflector to see if it will fit inside.

I see they come from China through Hong Kong. Last time I ordered something via that route with the super cheap shipping it took months to arrive. What was your delivery like?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link. I will have to go out and measure the diameter and depth of the existing concave reflector to see if it will fit inside.

I see they come from China through Hong Kong. Last time I ordered something via that route with the super cheap shipping it took months to arrive. What was your delivery like?
Ordered Feb 22nd, delivered Feb 28th.

11:03 AM

Delivered

6:36 AM
Package arrived at a carrier facility

Wednesday, February 27
7:57 AM
Package arrived at a carrier facility
United States Of America,

Sunday, February 24
11:58 AM
Package has left the carrier facility