SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in a country with terrible roads https://i2.wp.com/hmroads.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/20141010-Moldova-bedres.jpg, so I'm looking to "soften" my ride as much as possible, without hurting maneuverability.
Looking through swedespeed, everyone is going after sporty struts and stuff that gives a firmer ride ... I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, I want my kidneys safe.

1) Suspension struts are all worn out, so that's where I want to start. Are there any shock absorbers (or something from those parts) that are known to considerably improve to "softness"? Or at least some reliable (not too expensive) brands that give more comfort rather than feeling like Vin Diesel at roundabouts ?
2) Tires are 205/55/R16, Hankook Prime 2. Not sure if I can squeeze anything more from here?
3) Any other ways to improve ride quality without moving to another country with good roads?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Generally speaking, Monroe struts give a softer ride. Only other thing to watch is tire pressure, try 30 to 32 lbs. to soften the ride a bit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, I'm from the other side of the globe (or the plate, depends on your what you think about flat earth) ... how many PSI are 30-32 lbs? Googled a bot and it tells me 30 lbs = 30 psi, but Volvo says the pressure should be 2.1 PSI ... I'm missing approximately 27,9 PSI/LBS

·
Registered
33 Posts
PSI = pounds per square inch. Us lazy Americans just say "pounds." :)

Higher aspect ratio tires, such as the 55 series you're riding on, will provide a softer ride due to more sidewall to flex. Keeping the inflation pressure a little lower will help.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm from the other side of the globe (or the plate, depends on your what you think about flat earth) ... how many PSI are 30-32 lbs? Googled a bot and it tells me 30 lbs = 30 psi, but Volvo says the pressure should be 2.1 PSI ... I'm missing approximately 27,9 PSI/LBS
2.1 BAR not PSI :} thats apx 30 PSI It also differs depending on your car version, have a look at your petrol flap and see recommendation. Mine has 2.3 bar = 33psi if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for pointing that out, I was reading and typing multiple times PSI and always thinking about BAR ... obviously something won't stack up.
By the way, did anyone try fitting something like 225/55/R16 or 215/65/R16 or around those numbers, is there enough space for the tires to turn?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My V50 with stock tires rides like a tank with 35psi...at 31 it is a whole different car.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'd advise a bit of caution with under-inflating tires, as I've neglected to check mine often enough in the past, let them go to ~32 PSI, hit a pothole and my rim became quite not-round. No issues since checking pressures more often.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I kept my summers at 32PSI for the entire 6months, and I noticed that my shoulders were worn to a noticeable degree over the center despite my 95% interstate drive. Both shoulders were worn evenly too, so no LCA issues... Normally this means underinflation, which I thought was odd.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you should run tires at the specified pressures. under-inflated tires wear out prematurely and waste gas. what you could do is run 15" wheels to create taller sidewalls, if your model allows it. i'm new to the P1 chassis, so I am not familiar.

really, though, what you are asking is against the laws of physics. you can't "soften" the ride and keep the same "maneuverability", those two things are correlated. the more movement the suspension allows, the more all that weight that is springing about moves and the longer it takes to transition. i think the only place in the suspension where going 'stiffer' creates no penalty to ride quality is sway bars. bigger bars will help with keeping handling flat but will have no effect on suspension stiffness over bumps.

if you are just looking to soften things up, yes, refreshing the suspension will help with harshness. worn components ride rougher than new ones.

these cars are small and fairly light weight. you really need a heavier vehicle with a longer wheel base to soak up all the bumps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts