SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got stuck in NYC with my daughter on Saturday. We flew down from Boston to do something I wanted to do for years and my daughter just barely hit the height requirement so off we went. Apparently Saturday EWR closed for like an hour for an emergency landing and that resulted in all the JetBlue flights back being cancelled. Luckily its driving distance so out we went to JFK to pick up a one-way rental. I reserved a "Chrysler 300 or similar" and what they gave me was a Jaguar XE.

It was a well worn 38k mile example but pretty solid for the miles. I barely even know this car exists, all I could tell is it was rental spec 2.5t somethingorother but for 18" wheels, and a Meridien audio system. Not a bad drive. I'm assuming this is a 40-50k car. Compared to the S60 (sport chassis) it was a bit soft but still pretty taut, I pretty much flew back in 3.5 hours from JFK with one stop for the potty and a snack and it handled 80-90 all over the place no prob. Seats were ok, squishy and narrow, but whatever horrible fake leather this thing has, was ungodly sweaty and felt like rubber. I don't even buy the "leather breathes" stuff since automotive leather is coated so heavily to last. But it made me appreciate the cloth sections of the contour seats. While cloth is cheaper no doubt, it has a nice airflow that keeps you a little cooler when Volvo won't let you have a cooled sport seat. Unintelligible buttons all over the place made me appreciate the Sensus. Sound system was pretty bad, only treble and bass adjustment and that's all you could hear anyways. Hate rotary knob shifter. motorized vents flipping over is dumb. That is all. Felt so good to swap back to my Volvo at the BOS garage.

Still a successful trip, we made it all the way to the crown of that old lady!

·
Registered
121 Posts
So I got stuck in NYC with my daughter on Saturday. We flew down from Boston to do something I wanted to do for years and my daughter just barely hit the height requirement so off we went. Apparently Saturday EWR closed for like an hour for an emergency landing and that resulted in all the JetBlue flights back being cancelled. Luckily its driving distance so out we went to JFK to pick up a one-way rental. I reserved a "Chrysler 300 or similar" and what they gave me was a Jaguar XE.

It was a well worn 38k mile example but pretty solid for the miles. I barely even know this car exists, all I could tell is it was rental spec 2.5t somethingorother but for 18" wheels, and a Meridien audio system. Not a bad drive. I'm assuming this is a 40-50k car. Compared to the S60 (sport chassis) it was a bit soft but still pretty taut, I pretty much flew back in 3.5 hours from JFK with one stop for the potty and a snack and it handled 80-90 all over the place no prob. Seats were ok, squishy and narrow, but whatever horrible fake leather this thing has, was ungodly sweaty and felt like rubber. I don't even buy the "leather breathes" stuff since automotive leather is coated so heavily to last. But it made me appreciate the cloth sections of the contour seats. While cloth is cheaper no doubt, it has a nice airflow that keeps you a little cooler when Volvo won't let you have a cooled sport seat. Unintelligible buttons all over the place made me appreciate the Sensus. Sound system was pretty bad, only treble and bass adjustment and that's all you could hear anyways. Hate rotary knob shifter. motorized vents flipping over is dumb. That is all. Felt so good to swap back to my Volvo at the BOS garage.

Still a successful trip, we made it all the way to the crown of that old lady!
Interesting, I’ve always wanted to check out that car...I’ve heard so many great things. Most car mags say that the Jaguar XE and Alfa Romeo Giulia are currently the most engaging, fun to drive cars with the best handling/steering. I’m assuming the rental wasn’t a RWD with sports suspension?

Was the steering light or heavy ? I test drove the Giulia and while it’ is fun, I don't see what the hype is all about...it’s uncomfortable, has a cheap interior and the brakes are so mushy. It handles super well but the steering is soooo light. But then again, I'm super biased towards very heavy/weighted steering (the old hydraulic BMW set up). Oddly enough, the S60 in dynamic has the most weighty steering of any car i have test driven recently.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
...it’s uncomfortable, has a cheap interior and the brakes are so mushy.
Uncomfortable = Italian and more specifically Alfa.
Cheap Interior = All hail FCA. They have somehow managed to even make the Maserati Levante's (sticker $130-150k) interior feel cheaper than a $40k car!
Mushy brakes = It has Brake-by-wire. Has been it's biggest complaint from owners.

I drove the Guilia Quadra something something.. and while it drove like a beast, I felt downright congested and claustrophobic in it. Not to mention the weird braking. But that Engine though...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just like SilverV60 I am curious about the weight of the Jags steering. Heaviest I have felt recently was a rental Mustang convertible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts