SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Careful... Lots of pics :D

I have had these OZ Crono HLTs for over a year now and I've only mounted them and driven on them a few times last year before I put my pegs and some snow tires on in the fall. This spring I mounted up the OZ rims again to only blow out a tire the day I put them on. Well, it's time to take the winter tires off for the season so I decided to take my rims in to get them trued and powder-coated to fix up some major aesthetic damage on the wheels. It turns out the shop told me that they could not true the rims more than 90%, because they were too bent. :mad: I've never even really used and enjoyed these rims :mad:
I decided not to spend the $600 on powder-coating and instead spent $60 on some sand paper, primer, paint and clear coat. I ordered new tires (BFG g-Force KDWs) and figured, if the wheels are too bent and make the car wobble/vibrate, then I only spent $60 on the rims instead of $600, knowing obviously that paint would never turn out as good as powder-coating. Well, I was pretty surprised at how well they turned out...

Before:

After:

What do you think? Worth the $60?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
totally dude. I love the look!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
It's almost June. Where do you live that you have to wait until June to take off winters?!?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's almost June. Where do you live that you have to wait until June to take off winters?!?
If you have seen some of my other posts you would understand my turmoil with the Denver DMV.
In a nut shell, I was ready to put on the rims in the spring, and the day I put them on a tire almost exploded on me; then, I took them off; considered buying an e92 M3 and selling the R; lost my license; got my license back; decided not to buy an M3, but instead refresh the R; and, here I am.

yop , great job... looks like night and day from before and after, all pegs should come in this exact color.

Duplicolor: Graphite

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I'm not normally a fan of darker wheels but these came out tremendously! Really improves the look of the car, especially compared to before.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^Thanks, Jexx.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Looks awesome, nice job!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Shows off the brakes really well!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Looks good. I would be tempted to paint them two colors due to how easy it looks like it could be done. The front star could be color A and the sides of the spokes color B.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Very nice work! I have been painting as a hobby for 10 years and am about to do the same to my pegasus wheels. Impressed if that is your first painting project! Impressed even if not :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
... lost my license; got my license back; decided not to buy an M3, but instead refresh the R; and, here I am.
Probably a good idea to stick with the Volvo - If you're running on low Driver's License Points, the R is a lot more "stealth".... :cool:
(Is it just me, or do most M-type BMWs just SCREAM "knob behind the wheel"? But still a nice machine...)

DIY Rim re-furb looks really nice.:thumbup:

How you like those BFG's? I was considering them before I got my Hankook evos.
Now, I just need to get my rims fixed-up.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for all the compliments. It's not quite as good as it looks in the pics, but then again, most people are not looking that closely. I'd like to touch them up a bit, but maybe on a rainy day as I can barely even spot the major scratches that the guys at Discount Tire put on one of the wheels.
:beer::beer::beer::beer:

nice work bud! amazing job.... hows thw rims tho? they wobble alot?
The wheels surprisingly don't wobble at all! Thanks for asking Nizmo.
In hind sight, I could've had them powder coated since they still ride well, but I'm happier that I still have an extra $540 in my pocket! :thumbup:

Probably a good idea to stick with the Volvo - If you're running on low Driver's License Points, the R is a lot more "stealth".... :cool:
(Is it just me, or do most M-type BMWs just SCREAM "knob behind the wheel"? But still a nice machine...)

DIY Rim re-furb looks really nice.:thumbup:

How you like those BFG's? I was considering them before I got my Hankook evos.
Now, I just need to get my rims fixed-up.
Actually, I respectfully disagree about M-drivers. I think M-drivers are either 1, someone that wants a super car, but prefers to be practical and a bit more incognito; or, they can afford a expensive luxury car, have no idea what they are doing and just want the most prestigous car on the BMW lot.
Ok, maybe I do agree with you, but I secretly desire to be a "knob" ;)

I do like the BFGs. I like how they look. When I had them on my 18" pegs, I loved them and thus, I purchased them for my 19"s. I have to say, though, they don't feel as sticky as I remember them to be. I've only driven on them a few times....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Lol. I built my turbo BMW E34 to be able to take out E39 M5's. I pretty much hate M3's especially the E46's. That being said, I would still trade my car for a mint white low mileage 2003 E39 M5 with black and caramel interior any day of the week. There is nothing like the E39 M5 IMO. Best modern car BMW ever made.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Very sharp, I dig the new look :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
How many cans of clearcoat did you put on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very nice job. I REALLY dig those rims.

As a side note, I find that if you really want the points on your license to drop to zero...drive the land cruiser

1 - 20 of 23 Posts