SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how complicated importing an R from Canada will be? I know the gist of what's required, but has anyone actually done it or have details as to what's required?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've done two cars from BC to California... It's not that hard... Lots of resources it there to guide you... And it's also state dependent...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I almost went though the whole rigmarole with a 9-3 turbo x. Depending on where the car was made first (if was first sold in Canada it is a lot more problematic) in order to get across the boarder the car needs to have the US EPA and the US crash test sticker. There's also a bunch of paperwork that you need to fill out before you get to the boarder. One is an EPA form and the other is a tax form I think. The boarder agent then starts another form at the boarder.

The buyer or someone with power of attorney for you needs to bring the car across.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I almost went though the whole rigmarole with a 9-3 turbo x. Depending on where the car was made first (if was first sold in Canada it is a lot more problematic) in order to get across the boarder the car needs to have the US EPA and the US crash test sticker. There's also a bunch of paperwork that you need to fill out before you get to the boarder. One is an EPA form and the other is a tax form I think. The boarder agent then starts another form at the boarder.

The buyer or someone with power of attorney for you needs to bring the car across.
I was thinking of just driving it back... and I'm pretty sure it was first sold in Canada, but I'm not sure. How is that more problematic? Guess I'll find out... xD

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have done this a couple of times. You call Volvo North America and give them the vin. Ask them to send you a letter as to what will it take to make the vehicle US compliant. The will mail you this letter and even Email if you like. From what I have seen is if it is a V70 all you need is a mph cluster with the park brake and brake warning lights to be words and not the symbols. If you just change the whole cluster to a US style one this passes. However, they look for proof that the work was done to get a mph cluster. On my last import July 2017, I did the change myself without the proof and just said I figure you guys could look at the cluster and see it was mph and said brake and park brake. They finally excepted this and let me import the vehicle. In addition if S60 you will need an inside glow in the dark trunk release handle. You should bring this with you since I do not think they are available in Canada. Also, the Volvo R already meet the epa and safety standards for US.

You will need the letter from Volvo, all the paperwork for the purchase of the vehicle, proof of insurance if you are driving the vehicle, proof that you paid in Canadian dollars otherwise they will put US dollars on the form, and you will have to pay duty. The longer you stay in Canada the more money you can declare duty free. I can't remember the max but one day in Canada $400 two days $800 or something like this. So check this out to save a little loot.

I spent about 1.25 hours getting though this process the last time but I've done it in as little as .5 hours. It was no problem at my local licencing place to get the vehicle registered. Glück

·
Registered
649 Posts
I bought my unseen from Toronto and had it shipped to NC. Was pretty easy. I did NOT have to swap out my DIM. I wired funds to seller, including shipping fees. He arranged shipping, although I could have done that myself. His quote was reasonable, so I went with his shipper. In hind sight I wish I had paid the extra for closed transport vs. open. I was shipped in the Jan/Feb time frame. EXTREMELY dirty upon arrival!!

Seller even tracked down a import broker for me. Paid them, and filled out their paperwork, faxed back, and waited, and waited. Took a couple of months, but was more than worth it.

Here's the letter the importer sent me. I think I paid them something like $500 for the whole transaction.

Letter:

Thank you for this opportunity! I have outlined our service fees as well as the fees related to the import of your vehicle.
Customs clearance & Processing Service:
Entry Fee $300.00
DOT HS-7 Form $25.00
EPA Form $25.00
Single Entry Bond $100.00
( SEB) bonds calculate : value x 3(agency) x $5 per/$1000-$$$ (min $100)

Customs Duties/Fees: 2.5% of vehicle value unless American goods return vehicle 0.00
Current Merchandise Processing Fee is .34640%
Please advise how long the vehicles been in Canada for.

In order for us to process an Entry with Customs on your behalf, we will need the following forms completed.

Power of Attorney – This document is required by Customs in order for us to conduct business with them on your behalf – Instructions attached
Please provide copies of the listed documents for validation of the POA as an individual (Driver’s License and social security card)

In addition, we will need the following documents for your vehicle’s clearance:
1) Copy of registration/ownership – previous and current (important to show paper trail of ownership
2) Letter from yourself declaring value (**) of vehicle with VIN#, date of purchase, statement of facts regarding it being here in the U.S.
3) previous registration.

4) Manufacture letter regarding compliance with EPA and DOT to the US.

(**) value can be determined by various reference materials, such as the Auto Trader or Kelly blue book, www.kbb.com, for similar vehicles.

PAYMENT TERMS: As a new client, we will require payment in advance or on a COD basis until you have a credit line established with us. Please note that we will accept company checks, money orders/cashier’s checks and wire transfers, and these must be received prior to delivery of your shipment. Wire transfers are subject to a $35.00 bank fee.

I hope you find this quotation to your satisfaction. If you accept our offer, please forward the completed Power of Attorney form and its related back-up documents.

EDIT

After rereading the compliance letter from Volvo, they in fact state I do need a US spec DIM. I didn't get one, and it still came through, I'd have to go through my emails to see how it got by that issue.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Also, make sure you get the owner's name and address. I thought the SAAQ (the Quebec DMV or SOS) put the owner's address on the paper work but they did not and I found out a the CBP office. I recovered by having the owner send me a picture of his registration.

You can get a broker als Caboose said and there is nothing wrong with this. I have done all my imports from Canada without Broker and have had no issues. If the vehicle was first sold in USA then you will have to do nothing to the vehicle but you still have to get the Volvo letter and import the vehicle. Caboose is fortunate that CBP let the vehicle in without the cluster change and maybe having a broker helped with this. I would make sure I have one if I was driving back, just for the border crossing and you can switch it back. They will let you import without all the US requirements but there is something like a deposit or something of 2.5 times the value of the vehicle (some number like this) that you have to leave to import the vehicle. Once you have proof that the requirement is met you get the money back.

You can call just about any CBP office on the Canadian border to get the information you need to import. Although I have done this a few times, I call every time just to make sure nothing changed and to make sure I have everything in order. You will be just fine.
Glück

·
Registered
442 Posts
In doing some research to see what it'd take to bring an S80 from the Toronto area to the US, I stumbled across this new rule:

Starting November 2019, Volvo will charge $1000 USD for issuance of the recall compliance letter. This is due to costs for vehicle analytical research investigation, and other internal vehicle validation processes, thereby allowing Volvo to issue the recall compliance clearance letter in a timely matter. Payment using non-US funds may incur additional currency exchange fees from your credit card company.
http://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?event=info.recallCompliance

Volvo NA will NO LONGER provide compliance letters through their general help hotlines; you need to request it online via VolvoTechInfo and eventually pay the hefty fee. I signed up and entered a VIN just to see how far I can get before being asked for a stack of hundreds. Currently, it's "Under Review". I'll post an update once I find out more.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Wow that is complete theft!!! I just imported mine in Sept. snuck it it just in time!

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Daaaayam guess that trick is dead. dyslex are you going to actually pay the $1k? Or have you quit?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I’ve done it twice. For what it’s worth the border dudes really dont care that much about the paperwork. They care that all forms are properly completed and that they don’t have to do the research for you to figure everything out on the fly. The last time we did it My daughter had to take the car down herself so I just made a checklist and full list of forms enclosed, signed and completed.

They are usually so thankful if you have filled everything out that they simply just stamp all the paperwork and get you out of there. You do of course have to be well prepared and have all forms ready.

As an aside, when I last asked Volvo to produce a letter for my 2004 S60 they sent me a fully editable word doc which I still have if anyone needs a sample for reference.

There is absolutely no need for a broker for a basic import. Just read up and follow the instructions. Just remember that importing (at least to the US) is considered a "purchase" by the local DMV. As such, you will be taxed on the value of the car. In my case this had me stumped as I had owned the car for 2 years already and I had purchased it originally for $300USD. I put a fair amount of $ more into the car within those two years. In the end I used the last sale price on the form at the border as well as for tax purposes at the DMV in Florida. All parties were fine with that. I had the bill of sale there for reference to be safe.

Also, call the DMV in the state you are headed to ahead of time. Sometimes they have an extra step required before you can get a title that needs to be performed at a special facility (usually just a visual inspection by a DMV delegate)..

At the border IIRC you need:
The EPA form
The letter of compliance from Manufacturer
The Import form (I think it's form DS-7 or something)
Proof that you've made the required modifications based on what is called out in the letter of compliance
Bill of Sale (or equivalent)
Proof of ownership

At DMV, you will need the stamped form from border (I think the DS-7). don't leave the border without proof that they have accepted your submission for import. Check with them to find out what else you will need to be sure

2002 V70XC, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
442 Posts
Confirming the $1k fee by Volvo. Tony, I'm not paying the $1,000USD for a compliance letter. The vehicle I was looking at doesn't justify it. Though, if someone has an S60 they'd like to bring over, I'm sure bigtimemcalpine would love to help out with some paperwork!

At the border IIRC you need:
The EPA form
The letter of compliance from Manufacturer
The Import form (I think it's form DS-7 or something)
Proof that you've made the required modifications based on what is called out in the letter of compliance
Bill of Sale (or equivalent)
Proof of ownership
Great list of docs to get someone on the right track; thanks for providing this. Does the editable word doc you have spell out compliance for the S60 specifically? Sending you a PM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts