SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been dealing with a no start issue for 6 months and just want it fixed. Car starts, just not every time... Usually I have to jiggle key back in forth until I "feel" mechanism "click" then she'll start right up. Problem is no one else can drive my car. I've been looking at threads that discuss this and although they are thoroughly exploring the problem no one seems to have a simple fix although several responses indicate "this has been solved" "spray silicone and be done" I can't seem to find where to spray silicone or the easy fix other than new immobilizer please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
immobilizer is not a mechanical but an electrical start prevention. If you're not able to turn the key you may need a new ignition tumbler, you might need a new immobilizer ring that goes around the tumbler. they've been known to go bad now and again.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Yeah ignition cylinders go bad on these cars. A locksmith should be able to re-key a used one if you can't find an affordable new one. I just checked Tasca and they show it as unavailable. It should be the same as S/V70s as well.

And you can't just swap it and use the key that comes with the switch, the key has a chip in it. Some guys take the immobilizer ring and tape it to the old key and stuff it in the dash, then the new key works. But it's not a permanent or proper solution.

As a temporary fix you could get some lock lubricant (silicone spray or graphite, I prefer graphite) and just spritz it in the hole. If things are really worn down it won't help but if it's just sticky it will.

Good reminder for all of us to go lube our locks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I've been dealing with a no start issue for 6 months and just want it fixed. Car starts, just not every time... Usually I have to jiggle key back in forth until I "feel" mechanism "click" then she'll start right up. Problem is no one else can drive my car. I've been looking at threads that discuss this and although they are thoroughly exploring the problem no one seems to have a simple fix although several responses indicate "this has been solved" "spray silicone and be done" I can't seem to find where to spray silicone or the easy fix other than new immobilizer please let me know if you have any suggestions or ideas. Thanks
The immobilizer ring is a very common problem take it in and have it replaced not an expensive fix at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts