SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2005 V70R starts, but will not engage drive. Idiot light illuminates "imminent power failure". (as I recall) I installed a new battery from Interstate Batteries as I read somewhere that company makes Volvo batteries to no avail. Perhaps, I need an OEM battery. Whatcha think?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I have a hard time believing that Volvo's batteries are magically special and are the only ones that you can use. I got my battery from Sam's club. It works great. It's either a dud battery, or something is not connected right. It's pretty hard to mess up a battery connection, so that's not likely it. If you got a multimeter, you may be able to check your voltage out before you start it and after it shows that message.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
With a voltage meter you should have at least 13.6 volts with the car running. Fully charged battery with no load should also be above 12.6 volts. Start there to see if those values are right, and if not you need to start checking your connections and/or charging system.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Volvo batteries are made by Johnson Controls. Interstate batteries are also made by Johnson Controls. The grade however maybe different.

Johnson Controls also makes and owns Optima Batteries.

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/batteries/lead-acid-batteries/battery-brands

Power Solutions
The Power Solutions business unit designs and manufactures automotive batteries to passenger cars, heavy and light duty trucks, utility vehicles, motorcycles, golf carts and boats. It supplies more than one third of the world’s lead-acid batteries to automakers and aftermarket retailers including Wal-Mart, Sears and BMW. Lead acid battery brands produced under this business unit include OPTIMA, Heliar, LTH, and VARTA automotive batteries. This part of the company also manufactures Lithium-ion cells and complete battery systems to power hybrid and electric vehicles such as the Ford Fusion and Daimler’s S-Class 400. Additionally, it manufactures Absorbent Glass Matt (AGM) and Enhanced Flooded Batteries (EFB) batteries to power Start-Stop vehicles such as the Chevy Malibu and Ford Fusion. As of 2012, the business unit operated from 60 locations worldwide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts