SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 R with melbus cable, and I just got the iMiv MII LE in the mail. I searched the forums for some install tips, but I guess no one is as dumb as me.

Instructions say to connect ground lug to a screw on the chassis. I can't seem to find any screws, and the ones I do find I'm not sure are connected to the chassis.

I'm also supposed to connect the red lead to a 12V source. I don't know where I'm going to find that, and I don't want to connect it to the battery. I'm also really stupid.

Can someone help me out with this by posting some pics? Seems like since I have the melbus cable I have the easiest possible install for the imiv. :(

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
lol, they have an install manual with pics on their website.
http://www.imiv.ca/cms/downloads/manuals-firmware/

http://www.imiv.ca/cms/uploads/tx_sensolutionsdownloads/Installation_Manual_-_iMIV_01.pdf

If you can't follow the instructions, or it's simply beyond your DIY ability level, a local stereo shop should be able to hook it all up in less than 30 minutes for you.

1. you can get 12v via the front or rear fuse panels
2. you can get ground anywhere by using a self tapping screw, or using one of the existing bolts you find anywhere on the car's chassis

you can find some handholding pics on my website too
http://bowers.be/installation

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you ss60. I think I get it now, but man I can't seem to pull out the fuse in the 10 socket. I'd rather not sacrifice the cd-player. Can I use another socket?

Edit: I also read in some threads that you don't *necessarily* have to unplug your battery for this simple install. True? I'm pretty low on tools. I'd take it to a car shop, but I'd like to at least so something on my own, hah.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Thank you ss60. I think I get it now, but man I can't seem to pull out the fuse in the 10 socket. I'd rather not sacrifice the cd-player. Can I use another socket?

Edit: I also read in some threads that you don't *necessarily* have to unplug your battery for this simple install. True? I'm pretty low on tools. I'd take it to a car shop, but I'd like to at least so something on my own, hah.
any socket will do, the iMIV pulls very little power.
As far as the battery, if you plug in the melbus cable in to the iMIV, and hook up the the ground wire first, and then connecting the 12v is no different than switching it on using the key; it should be a 99.9% safe manoeuvre.

here is a picture of my DIY ground wire on the top side of my trunk

also, for 12v you can use an add-a-circuit for plug and play simplicity. This fuse panel is on the left side of the trunk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is some first-rate hand-holding thank you so so sooo very much! Time for a quick run to the auto parts store to have my diaper changed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Giant failure.

Put screw into the same hole as your pic, crimped wire inside the add-a-circuit, put that into fusebox, attached all the cables, and then....nothing. I have no ability to select any source other than AM/FM/CD.

Did I get a bad iMiv?

I tried the add-a-circuit with a couple of different fuses, 10, 5, E, and none helped. I also tried sockets 10 and 11. Still nothing. :(

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Giant failure.

Put screw into the same hole as your pic, crimped wire inside the add-a-circuit, put that into fusebox, attached all the cables, and then....nothing. I have no ability to select any source other than AM/FM/CD.

Did I get a bad iMiv?

I tried the add-a-circuit with a couple of different fuses, 10, 5, E, and none helped. I also tried sockets 10 and 11. Still nothing. :(
my iMIV runs off the purple 3 Amp fuses in the picture, so your 5 or 10 is not an issue.

a few possibilities:
-bad ground - maybe the screw you have is not very conductive, or the bite in did't get raw metal ( FYI, my hole did not exist before the screw, so there is definately raw metal contact. )

-inactive fuse port - not all are connected, and not all are on at key position I ( try pos II )

-poor contact inside the crimp ( least likely, but give it a hard squeeze )

do you have two fuses installed in the add-a-circuit? both are needed to close the circuit for the add on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts