SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has been on my mind for a really long time, and I must ask it now!

I've noticed that there's different "levels" to pushing down the gas pedal and actually going forward. It's not always a gradual change being in parallel with actually going forward. For example, the pedal is initially down 20% of the way, and then gradually down to 40% of the way. There seems to be no change in acceleration in this situation until you hammer it down to 70% or more as it downshifts and kicks you forward. Think about this scenario while driving on the highway. In this scenario you're not using Geartronic, and driving in fully automatic mode. There's nothing wrong with my transmission either, and it actually shifts smoothly. TEP rebuilt it not too long ago. It's just the way the car behaves.

When I had my minibike, revving up would be pretty gradual and smooth in parallel with how fast you would actually accelerate. Why aren't our cars like that? I hope someone understands this question as it could be poorly worded. :facepalm:

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's referred to by car magazines a "throttle tip-in". Some cars, you just nudge the pedal and off you go in a rush. Other cars are more evenly graduated. Back in the day of throttle cables, it was reasonably linear. Since it's all throttle-by-wire today anyway, it's just how the ECU is programmed and was decided in Sweden during the development of the car.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I honestly thought was the issue. It has to be the way the ECU is programmed and how it responds to the position of the pedal. That's exactly what it has to be, especially since you mentioned throttle cables because that's how my minibike worked.

So would an ECU tune change that in any way?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts