SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not a big fan of the S60 OEM front grill...the over-sized Volvo emblem is very tacky...the emblem is just too overwhelming in size! :thumbdown:

Hopefully...an aftermarket mesh grill will be available soon...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Overwhelming?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overwhelming?
Yes...it's obviously a Volvo...so why does the manufacturer feel the need to mount such a large emblem to the front grill...sometimes less is more!

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Because they want to sell lots of them in the German market, and they love a big aggressive grille there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because they want to sell lots of them in the German market, and they love a big aggressive grille there.
You may be right...aggressive grills are great...but aggressive sized emblems??

Mercedes & BMW emblems are far more subtle in size!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here's the look I have in mind...a more tasteful & elegant solution!

You could mount a smaller OEM Volvo emblem in right corner of the grill...

Hopefully someone will offer a similar grill for the 2011 & newer S60 models soon!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think it looks just fine and that your example picture lacks something, but hey, that's just me. Good thing they have aftermarket products for guys like you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think it looks just fine and that your example picture lacks something, but hey, that's just me. Good thing they have aftermarket products for guys like you.
Good point...lots of different choices in the world of consumer products...something for everybody...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here's the look I have in mind...a more tasteful & elegant solution!

You could mount a smaller OEM Volvo emblem in right corner of the grill...

Hopefully someone will offer a similar grill for the 2011 & newer S60 models soon!

Always thought the size of the Volvo emblem was over done! Kind of like third country style. Very lacking in restrain and taste! Next time, they may increase the size to resemble a pie plate!:eek:

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I agree about the Volvo logo being too big. Ex Volvo designer Steve Mattin (who mysteriously disappeared and went to Russia to design for Lada of all companies!!) wanted the Volvo design language to be more bold and easier to discern that the cars were distinctly Volvo, and one of the ways he (tried) to achieve this was by using massive emblems on the front of the cars. I too think it looks tacky and it also smacks of what American SUV and truck companies are doing with their massive emblems on Ford, Dodge, Chevy trucks and SUVs. Just tacky.

Sadly, I think the way Mattin tried redesigning the new Volvos also made them a bit more similar to the competition in terms of appearance. The older style by Horbury of the S60 etc. was more distinct from other cars and still remains that way. Although I do think Mattin did a fantastic job with the XC60 and his interiors in concept form were magnificent.

It's nice to know that Horbury is back at the helm of design for Volvo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You're right...the C-class grill is just as bad as the Volvo!
I don't mind the big herkin' logo badge on my RD. But I also like the Heico one above. I guess I'm not too picky about it, and I'm a designer! :facepalm:

Sure, to some it's tacky, but to others it's bold and makes the statement "I'm a Volvo and proud of it!"
(Sounds like I'm at a client meeting And it's probably how Steve Mattin sounded selling it to the higher ups!)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I happen to like the emblems... but one thing I know from being a car enthusiast - is that the whole subject of "de-badging" or subtle badging, is a debate on just about every board... regardless of make!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes...it's obviously a Volvo.!
I don't think as many people as you think will realize it's a Volvo. Some cars, you just know what it is in that single split second instance of a blink of the eye. Other cars, you have to look for subtle details. IMO, the S60 is the latter.

I offer an experiment, fill a room with every mid-size sedan from every company (void of all badges), offer people a prize if they can call out brand name on 6 cars in less then 7 seconds, and I doubt people will "risk" guessing which is the volvo (unless they happen to own one). BMW and Audi will probably get called out in the first second. Mercedes next? then Ford or Chrylser? What would people pick next? IMO, they all start looking similar at this point. Sure, I would call out the Volvo, (if close enough), but I wonder what most other people would feel more comfortable picking (if a prize was on the line). Acura, Infiniti, Kia (ok, I would call the optima out before the Volvo), ????

For the record, I think the grille and emblem are ok. What I don't like are the headlights. IMO, they are what makes the car blend to much with others.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I like the new Volvo grille on the S60. I still aren't warming up to the tail lights that much though.. Yes it grows over time, but I still much prefer the tail lights on our S70 and the previous gen S60. Funny though how my parents hated the previous gen S60's tail lights. It was called by the Chinese as a funeral car or something like that :p:facepalm:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm with your parents! I think the rear on the new S60 is one it's best features.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts