SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

I'm in a toxic relationship...with my XC

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  PAX5 
#1 ·
So, I've owned my 2007 Sport since new. I have just under 75k now, always dealer serviced. Any little noise and it goes in to the shop for repair and I have a stack of invoices to prove it. I think it may be time to throw in the towel, though. Had the transmission and radiator replaced back in August (there's a thread somewhere) to the tune of almost 8k. My theory is I need to get it fixed right the first time, it's my wife's car and I don't have the time to "try stuff out" or to take it to three different mechanics to try and save a buck. So the trans was replaced and everything is kosher.

Yesterday, my wife gets home from picking up the kids and says the car smells like it's burning. I investigate and see fluid on my garage floor. It looks like either trans fluid or PS fluid. My best guess is that it's the PS pump and my hunch turns out to be correct. Another 2k for the PS pump and spring seats for the front springs (I've been complaining about front end noises since like 2008).

I think enough is enough. I'll be posting my car for sale in the classifieds sometime within the next 6 months so if anyone wants a clean Sport that will probably run until the end of time with just oil changes, tires and brake pads for the next lucky owner.

Thanks for letting me vent, I'm not really looking for advice here, unless you want to recommend a vehicle to replace this one. :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
2 grand for a power steering pump?? Ouch! I think ours is headed south, it whines when it's cold outside, but it's been doing that for years, so maybe not. But, I sure hope it's not $2,000 to replace!

#17 ·
To be fair, the pump itself was $1243. The rest was for the spring seats and wheel alignment.

How much would you estimate you've spent in repairs / maintenance over the past 9 years / 75k? In addition to the 10k you just mentioned...
You're really going to make me add this up, huh? Well, I checked my records and I'm at $17,422 over 8 years/75k. For those that want to know. I could have bought a clean Corolla for that.

The car is home and all is well. Here's hoping we get through the holidays!

#7 ·
I thought that might be the case but the fluid was yellow, so PS. It's been making a whining noise when cold (like a belt or pulley) and the PS has been a little jerky in the past so I told the service advisor that it was either the trans or PS.

#5 · (Edited)
So 2k for pump and spring seats. That's maybe the range for what the dealer will charge with standard labor rates and parts at list. They'll probably throw in the unnecessary wheel alignment after the fact.

Or you could buy an exchange PS pump off one of the OEM reseller sites for 430 plus core, couple of IPD HD seats for 80, and go find yourself a reasonable Volvo independent to do it for you at around 500 for labor (tops). Add a new serp belt for 50, PS fluid for 50 (couple cans, might as well replace it while they're in there) and call it 1150 all in.

Got options besides the dealer ya know. Especially for something bolt-on like these.

Seems a shame to walk away from a Sport, spring seats are more or less "normal" at around 100k (lower control arm bushings as well). PS pump is unfortunately more common than not by 100k. You live in a hot weather climate so guess it's all happening sooner than later.

As a side note, if it's darkish green, it's PS fluid. If it's darkish red, it's transmission fluid.

Sorry about your trouble, but for something like this the dealer is NOT a must... Gotta have a good Volvo Indy in your neck of the woods, now's as good a time as any to start leveraging them.

**And when it's time to sell, if you keep it clean, you'll get top dollar. They are indeed desirable....**

#8 ·
Power steering is very common. I have the exact same car you have (color too), with about 10k more miles. I just had to put in $2k worth of work (power steering pump, new bushings, new A/C controller). I was at that point where I was ready to throw in the towel and after putting in that money I couldn't bring myself to do it. It's just too awesome of a car.

With that said. When you get ready to sell, I'm in DFW and might be interested in picking up my wife's twin vehicle :).

#9 ·
Ha, thanks. I do love it too, I don't usually get attached to my vehicles but this one is obviously special for whatever reason. I brought our twins home from the hospital in it, it was my first Volvo. I guess that's why I keep dumping money into it. My wife however, has had enough and I can't say that I blame her. This was the first time I had to take my car in on an emergency basis and I was a little disappointed that they couldn't come up with a loaner for a day or 2. I'm not being entitled or anything, but I'm going on $10k in repair bills this year alone. Throw a dealer plate on a used car.

#10 ·
The '07 XC90 i just picked up with 77k miles needs about $2,500 worth of maintenance and a couple repairs. It seems all Volvo models after some age, need to have similar maintenance (control arm bushings, spring seats/strut mounts). The power steering fluid and trans fluid also need to be changed. I am looking to keep this one, and I was expecting to have some maintenance cost at the beginning.

Hopefully after all your repair bills this year, you will have at least another 5yrs of enjoyment out of it.

#11 · (Edited)
Think one factor may be the reliance on a dealer (with book labor rates and list price parts) for the work that inevitably needs done after 75K or so. Non-standard fluid changes, oddball filters, pumps, t-belts (not in your case), PCV service (not in your case), front end rebuilds, brake jobs with rotors, engine mount replacements, seriously this can add up.

Having 2 XC90s (1@160K, 1@97k) today that have had pretty much everything that needed done to them in a more than proactive manner, were I not doing the vast majority of the work myself, I might have been inclined to move on long ago.

So fully understand the frustration.

But Chris is right, if you can get past the 100k mark with some proactive fluid changes (trans, AOC/filter, rear diff, angle, brake, PS), sparkplugs (by 75k), the front end stuff, the eventual serp belt with tensioner (V8 specific), you'll probably be in pretty good shape for another 75k.

Now selling this idea to a spouse that's tired of having the vehicle in the shop so much is an entirely different story. Getting a good Indy on board from this point forward for anything the dealer might not be required to do might help change the dynamic up. Maybe.

All the best whatever you decide to do !

#12 · (Edited)
But Chris is right, if you can get past the 100k mark with some proactive fluid changes (trans, AOC/filter, rear diff, angle, brake, PS), sparkplugs (by 75k), the front end stuff, the eventual serp belt with tensioner (V8 specific), you'll probably be in pretty good shape for another 75k.

Now selling this idea to a spouse that's tired of having the vehicle in the shop so much is an entirely different story. Getting a good Indy on board from this point forward for anything the dealer might not be required to do might help change the dynamic up. Maybe.

All the best whatever you decide to do !
Thanks for all of the constructive replies, all. One of the reasons why I love this forum. I actually do have good indie here in town (shout out to Vol Tech) but honestly, their prices aren't that much lower than the dealer and I sometimes question their judgement. For instance, I was quoted between 5-6k for a used trans when mine went out at the indie mechanic vs. 7k for a brand new factory unit with a lifetime warranty.

I used Vol Tech to install ceramic brake pads. When I was out of warranty and my angle gear failed so I took it to them to have it evaluated. They told me that my AWD wasn't working due to the speed rating of my tires. I haven't been back since. I took it to the dealer where I bought it and the angle gear was covered in full, even though I was out of warranty. I trust these guys despite most dealers reputations and I take it to where I know it's going to get fixed correctly the first time. Sure, it costs a bit more but we have the money and I want nothing but the best for my vehicles.

#14 ·
If you do some of the work yourself to offset the cost of the bigger repairs, it won't hit your wallet as hard. Control arms and steering pumps are just bolts and fluid nothing major, shouldn't take more than a few hours and all you need are basic tools.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

#15 ·
If you do some of the work yourself to offset the cost of the bigger repairs, it won't hit your wallet as hard.
^^ This is how I survived comfortably with five successive older BMWs before. Lots of DIY stuff.

Interestingly enough, we bought the XC90 because the VW Jetta TDI was killing us with its finicky nature and maintenance issues that weren't as easy to deal with. This is coming from a guy who used a VAG-COM (VCDS) for diagnosis, which is pretty much like a VIDA/DiCE. Thus multiple trips to the (excellent, reputable) indie shop... but with $4k sunk into it in the past year and a lack of trust in the relationship, we took our satisfaction with the V50 and went with the XC90. We shall see if it's as simple as the BMWs were...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.