SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering to buy a 2005 Volvo V50 1.6D with 110k kilometers, am I doing the right thing?

I've driven a 1999 Peugeot 206 for the last three years, and this would be my first real car, paid entirely by myself, so I'm a little scared to spend this amount on an used car. The seller is asking 5900 euros (I'm from Italy), the body except some little damages is in good conditions, the engine runs perfectly (I'll miss gasoline engines, but I need a less thirsty car) and the owner showed me all the receipts of the services done on the car, which sincerely is very well kept, with new tires and good handling. Only letdowns are the pre-restyle front, alloy rims and some chips in the paint / a small crack on the rear right light. Otherwise perfect and still in really good condition, very good looking. Should I look for anything special? Is the car worth the price in your opinion?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is that the 110hp version?
I believe it uses the PSA (Peugeot / Ford) DV6 engine. If it's the older 16valve version then it's worth avoiding - do a search for 'DV6' and 'sludge'.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Defenitely do some extra checks on the engine, it's a vulnerable thing. At that mileage it'll probably still be alright but these tend not to get very old. That's the reason I went with the 2.0D... Although that thing never really gets more than 15km per liter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is that the 110hp version?
I believe it uses the PSA (Peugeot / Ford) DV6 engine. If it's the older 16valve version then it's worth avoiding - do a search for 'DV6' and 'sludge'.
109 HP, so probably it's that version ): After some research I've seen they totally fixed the problems on that engine only after 2010/11, so should I avoid this car? I've also seen that Citroen and other cars have more problems with that engine than Volvos do

·
Registered
180 Posts
That's a coincidence, it's the same engine so it shouldn't matter. To be honest I really would avoid the 1.6. Maybe you find a good one and the engine is alright, but it really is a hard working engine, doesn't have quite enough grunt for a rather heavy car.

18km/l (5.5l/100km) on my 2.0D
Well I do have a bit of a heavy foot, but if I try I can get 16km/l. The computer will say about 5.5L/100km but that's not what the odometer/actual liters calculation gives me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I do have a bit of a heavy foot, but if I try I can get 16km/l. The computer will say about 5.5L/100km but that's not what the odometer/actual liters calculation gives me.
5.5 is my daily average. If need to it goes below 5l/100km. Calculated on the gas station.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe I should clean the throttle body and such like you did in the video then, it's a rather large difference. Only time I'll see 5l/100km is when my computer pretends I'm doing that lol.

Was pulling a horse trailer yesterday (two motorcycles inside) and on the highway it used 11l/100km (computer again). That too seems ridiculous at a constant 90km/h?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts