SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 130k miles on my '07 VR, it's not that I didn't expect to have things start to fail, but the rate of failure seems to now be on a fast track that is pushing me to want to dump the damned car. I've got the 2-3 upshift pause that wasn't supposed to be an issue with '07's, a drooping right headlight that sometimes auto-levels, sometimes not, I've lived with the active chassis service and anti-skid warning when turning left (avoided by always turning right instead of left), the driver's window that likes to auto-down when I want it up, the two bent wheels I need to fix or replace, the leather interior is really showing its age no matter how many times I clean and condition the seats and of course there are a bunch of suspension rattles that make the car sound like there are loose parts ready to fall of (which is probably the case).

I've not done any tracking of the car and most of the miles are highway miles. Do I put all the money into the car at this point to fix it? I can do lots of the work myself, but I'm really starting to lose the lust for working on it given each fix seems to bring out another problem.

That and I've got the bug to get a new (high-priced, high-performance, high-repair cost) vehicle, a used Cayenne Turbo (as a work car). I know I'm crazy, but dumping thousands into "fixing" the VR just doesn't seem like a great ROI. I should also mention that the kids are complaining about not having enough space in back seat now too - given they've all grown from when we got the car 4 years ago. There is something to be said about the upright seating in SUV's.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about the issues. I have an 06 V70R that so far has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. It does have 107k on it and I have always been very aggressive on keeping the maintenance schedule up to date. I did recently need to replace the front struts and I do have a rattle at low speeds over uneven concrete that I am guessing is the endlinks, but nothing to make me want to buy another car. Any car I like is $40k+, so it is cheaper to just completely redo my car if and when needed. Besides, I still really love the car. I only felt that way about an 83 911 I drove for 13 years.
Everyone's situation is different, but I would get your car 100% for likely $5k or less and tell your kids to deal with it.;)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
IMO, fixing it will give you back your driving pleasure. IDK what sort of money you're looking at, but you can almost always find a cheaper price than you see the first time if you look around for parts. I get the cheapest parts through napa, and I'm willing to give you my account number :D

If you want a Cayenne Turbo then get one, but don't complain when it needs just a set of tires. Or even a headlight.

IMO There can't be THAT much wrong with the car (unless you just beat the living **** out of it), all brand new suspension would cost you alot less than a porsche. Especially if you did the work yourself.

·
6,436 Posts
First of all the only ROI you'll get by fixing your car is a driving satisfaction. A car is never an investment, but rather a quickly depreciating asset.

to fix some of your issues:
- do a tranny flush - that can sometimes stop the tranny issue
- pull the headlamp-leveling fuse and just adjust them manually - will fix your auto leveling problem
- check all the cables for your shocks - it seems like you either has a bad connection or a wire has been spliced - could be an easy fix
- driver's window auto down - did you spill anything on the switches? could be as simple as cleaning the connections or as complicated as replacing all the switches
- Leather...yea...it sucks in our cars. Take the $ you'd spend on a Cayenne and re-upholster the seats :) ... also keep in mind the more you clean them the more delicate they'll become
- suspension rattles - at 130K you shoudl expect that. Work bushings/endlinks/etc. BUT you'd be amazed how tightening can fix some of your squeaks. Get under each corner and tighen every suspension bolt you see - I'm VERY sure it will help out a bit

Cayenne Turbo will not only be more expensive to maintain but also will kill you in gas $, and from what you're saying you're not a rich bloke who doesnt care about $ or you wouldnt be on this forum and you'd drive a Quattroporte :). My suggestion is to fix up the VR and get on with your life. Don't complain about having to MAINTAIN your car if here you're telling us that you want to drop $ on a Cayenne Turbo

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
First of all the only ROI you'll get by fixing your car is a driving satisfaction. A car is never an investment, but rather a quickly depreciating asset.

- pull the headlamp-leveling fuse and just adjust them manually - will fix your auto leveling problem
- check all the cables for your shocks - it seems like you either has a bad connection or a wire has been spliced - could be an easy fix
- driver's window auto down - did you spill anything on the switches? could be as simple as cleaning the connections or as complicated as replacing all the switches
- Leather...yea...it sucks in our cars. Take the $ you'd spend on a Cayenne and re-upholster the seats :) ... also keep in mind the more you clean them the more delicate they'll become
- suspension rattles - at 130K you shoudl expect that. Work bushings/endlinks/etc. BUT you'd be amazed how tightening can fix some of your squeaks. Get under each corner and tighen every suspension bolt you see - I'm VERY sure it will help out a bit

Cayenne Turbo will not only be more expensive to maintain but also will kill you in gas $, and from what you're saying you're not a rich bloke who doesnt care about $ or you wouldnt be on this forum and you'd drive a Quattroporte :). My suggestion is to fix up the VR and get on with your life. Don't complain about having to MAINTAIN your car if here you're telling us that you want to drop $ on a Cayenne Turbo
well said.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
With 130k miles on my '07 VR, it's not that I didn't expect to have things start to fail, but the rate of failure seems to now be on a fast track that is pushing me to want to dump the damned car. I've got the 2-3 upshift pause that wasn't supposed to be an issue with '07's,.
no not true. The Geartronic issue covered MOST 07s because they were produced in 06 through 07. Only the late production 07s dont have the problem. People get this mixed up all the time.

The upside is the TF-80SC is a common trans, and any decent trans shop knows about the valve body replacement. Hell, prolly easier just to swap out for a reman and transplant the TCM.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Wait, wait, wait....You say you put the key in your VR, turned it on and drove it for 130k miles, and something broke!? ;)-

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All comments are appreciated. Yes, I know it's always cheaper to fix than buy new. And I'm pretty good at fixing things myself. My issue is really that I'm fixing one thing, only to have another (usually related) part break. It's frustrating me to no end. The headlight is a perfect example. First I had the bulb go - not a problem, ordered a new set from DDM. Then a month later, the right side ballast decided it had enough and gave up the ghost. Not a problem, I learned how easy it was to pull the bumper, replaced the ballast - fairly cheap given it's the same ballast that a Chrysler 300 C uses and the "Mopar" version is way cheaper than the Volvo version (they're exactly the same valeo parts). Now the leveler is on the fritz.

I haven't poured a ton of work into the suspension yet - did outer tie rod ends not long ago, but I'm pretty sure it is about time for struts and bushings given the car is just never settling down like it used to. So that's about $1800+ and a bunch of time required to get that done. Not to mention needing new wheels, which will then require new tires...I know it's stuff I should be doing. Did I mention needing a new exhaust? I do lust after the IPD oval exhaust, but that would then force me to get the down pipe and a tune, which would take away money needed to fix the other stuff I've already mentioned.

Maybe I'm just not in love with the car the same way I used to be. Part of it is just the age of the car and fact that I've got a lot of butt time in the car now. Chances are pretty good that I'll fix everything and have my wife drive it full time. Whether I get the Cayenne Turbo or not is related mostly to whether I nail a big deal with my company or not. I most likely will, but then need to decide whether I want to be the douche bag-like guy that drives a Cayenne - although most Cayenne's, (even the Turbo) seem to be driven by women (not that that is a bad thing, just saying). And yes, I've already looked to see that tires (Conti DWS) go for double what they are on the VR. And gas mileage would be a little worse...or a lot worse for at least the first year of heavy footing it. Fixing an HID light doesn't scare me anymore knowing there are cheaper places to get parts. The air bag suspension on the Cayenne Turbo does worry me, because a rubber bladder, just like our electronic struts, have a finite lifespan and I can only guess what replacing bladders and all the other failure points will cost. So if not a Cayenne Turbo, what other 5+ passenger sporty vehicle that I could find in the mid $30's would fit the bill? And keep in mind that what I really pine after is a late 90's 911 C4S. But with 2 labs and 4 kids (1 full time and 3 part time) the 911 is going to have to wait until all the kids have moved out (which may make it an early 00's version by the time I start looking in earnest).

The kid piece is a tough one to deal with. There is something not quite right about cramming 3 gangly kids in the back seat of the VR. They are so squished that they put their legs up against the front seats pushing them forward and bugging the crap out of me. I know we just have to survive long enough to get the oldest driving (a civic or the like) so that the kids stop needing to be driven by us.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
sounds like you haven't owned a volvo for long enough.

My s40 was paid off, but like a car payment.. Averaged about 300$ a month in parts. lol

2004 S40 with 173K (got it when it had 22K)

·
Registered
557 Posts

Tomedkaz...You sir just got the "Post of the thread win"

·
Registered
491 Posts
^ +1

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
what is the difference between a porcupine and a porsche owner?

the prick is in the inside, LOL.....

You know that it is customary for a cayenne turbo to burn 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles? or just have random no starts and require a tow to the dealership for ECM reflash? or have random ignition coils fail @ 18k, 33k, 42k where they should have replaced them all? or have coolant hoses fail and require the car be towed? or $600 front brakes rotors need replacing @ 20k?

But, you own a por-sha. I know two guys with them and i cracks me up when they bitch and moan on how the dealership just screwed them on fixing this and that. one has a turbo s cayenne 06 and 996 turbo 04, the other has a c4s 04. both money pits

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
High performance anything will have issues, I get that. I'm burning a quart of oil every 2000 miles too. And I didn't mention the VR is now showing a 3.5 amp draw when not running that is killing my battery. Nothing is showing as being on - so it's most likely bad wiring, which means rethreading new cable(s) now - just for fun...and the random no-starts have happened to me too. Fresh battery, starter not the issue and the dealership found no issue or sign of problem the 3 times they've looked at it. There's really nothing like being at a gas station in the middle of no-where with a car that won't start, even with a jump.

Frankly, I'm not sure what difference there is between a Volvo and Porsche dealership. They're both inept at best and more likely outright thieves.

Not to bash Volvo, but our R's are not a lot different than what Ford and GM used to do with their plebeian sedans, where they took an ok car and added a bunch of performance parts to it. It's not, by any measure, the best way to create a performance car. We have a great engine and unique driveline, sophisticated suspension, great brakes, super comfortable interior, but they're all add-ons that seem to be creating more problems for these cars than Volvo anticipated (or maybe they knew).

So I asked before - what would any of you performance junkies do if you needed a car with more space inside, but still wanted it to have similar performance to the R? Like I said, I'll end up fixing the R for a second car, but we're just not comfortable as a family in the VR anymore.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Our R's power remains on for several minutes after you shut it down. I know this is spelled out either in the owner's manual or somewhere else I read, possibly Vida maintenance general information.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have gone down the same path as you, and spent more time (and money) on trying to find an alternative to the VR than I like to think about. There is one true alternative to the VR and you really don't want to know about it. Its called an AMG wagon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The battery drain is happening all the time, not just minutes after the car is turned off. And yes, an AMG E55 or E63 wagon would fit the performance needs, but space-wise it wouldn't be much different than the VR. I like the fact that it's a sleeper like the VR is too, but again space is as much my issue as anything. The issue with so many wagons in the 2005-2010 model year is that they just don't have the backseat space that I'd like to keep the kids from kneeing my seat and complaining the whole time. If Volvo extended the current S60 chassis and made a modern V70, maybe with the hybrid diesel electric power train they've been touting, I'd seriously consider buying a new Volvo, but I have zero interest in an XC 90 or really even an XC 60 R Design because for the price there are better options out there, if basic SUV was my criteria.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts